Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Emergency Contact Information

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Emergency Contact Information

Just wondering which methods of emergency contact info you guys have in case of an accident while you're riding? I was checking out the Sport Touring forum and a thread there gave me some realy good ideas about how to give medical professionals information if you are unable to do it yourself.

I just purchased some dog tags for both my wife and I to wear when we are riding as that seems to be a good method to identify who you are, blood types, allergies, meds youre on, contact numbers etc...

I wanted the stamped version as i dont know how long the engraved version would last. I also got them with the red silencers to hopefully catch the medical professionals eye. While there are several different methods of displaying your information, i felt the dog tags were the best in my opinion.

I hadnt seen anything like this on our forum over here yet, so i thought id cross it over. I thought this might help any newer or even experienced riders that hadnt thought to take precautionary measures before.

(hopefully links crossing to other forums isnt frowned upon)

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...ic,4792.0.html

Site i got my dog tags from:
http://www.dogtagsonline.com/
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
They can dig my drivers license out of my wallet if they need to know who I am. Unless you have a medical condition and were an alert bracelet, what more do you really need?

Oh wait...they can run the plate on your bike and find out who you are too.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah it's a good idea if you have a specific medical condition. EMT's and medics will look for those things when they do a head to toe.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Sub dermal microchips are the only way in the future.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by NCDave
They can dig my drivers license out of my wallet if they need to know who I am. Unless you have a medical condition and were an alert bracelet, what more do you really need?

Oh wait...they can run the plate on your bike and find out who you are too.
I would like to know that if i end up in the hospital that my family would be notified. Also I listed any allergies i have so nothing gets complicated if they would have to pump me full of drugs.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
ICE (in case of emergency) program it into your cell phone and include names of important people.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
I would like to know that if i end up in the hospital that my family would be notified. Also I listed any allergies i have so nothing gets complicated if they would have to pump me full of drugs.
My wife puts tags in my underwear...."If lost, please return to...." LOL

Seriously...I don't have any allergies, and rarely ride alone, so I've never considered the need for contact information. If my wife and I ride together, she always brings along her photo ID in her pocket just in case we both buy the farm. Plus our son is a cop in town, so if someone had to contact based on our name/address, he'd hear about it pretty quick.

How much info can they actually fit on a dog tag? Or are you just counting on whomever they contact to have the pertinent info on you?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by NCDave
My wife puts tags in my underwear...."If lost, please return to...." LOL

Seriously...I don't have any allergies, and rarely ride alone, so I've never considered the need for contact information. If my wife and I ride together, she always brings along her photo ID in her pocket just in case we both buy the farm. Plus our son is a cop in town, so if someone had to contact based on our name/address, he'd hear about it pretty quick.

How much info can they actually fit on a dog tag? Or are you just counting on whomever they contact to have the pertinent info on you?

On each tag you have 5 lines with 15 characters per line. the set comes with 2 tags each, so you can fit a decent amount of info on them. I dont ride with groups most of the time, and live in a pretty big city, so to me, its just a little insurance i felt was worth the 7 bucks. The thing about carrying the info in a pocket... If they have to cut your clothes off you or they get shredded from the crash, they might not find it.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
I have an ICE next to my home phone number (parents).

so if they wanna go through my phone to contact people paramedics etc will look for the ICE number first.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I have my blood type & "no medical allergies" on stickers on the front of my helmets; along with "do not remove helmet". On my flip-front helmet I also have a sticker indicating how to lift the flip-front. On my cell phone its easy to find my home & wife's numbers.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
As a medic I would contact the last couple of personal numbers called. From there I would be able to find out information. Luckily, I didn't have to rescue anyone that was seeing someone on the side.

I also knew a attorney in Baltimore that would give out a free alert card that he would put on a key ring. You would fill out all the information (ICE, blood type, etc.) and he would store it on a computer. When the trooper saw the 800 number on the card he would call it and the information would be given out to the authorities.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Seen an ad in Cycle World for "Digital Dog Tag". Has the look of dog tags but a USB(flash) card that it slides into it. Guess you could load info on it and EMTs would plug it in and be able to view whatever you provide. $39 bucks. Why not just carry a flash card and write "ICE" on it. So if need be, they find it near your wallet (in your tank bag).
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I have the ICE dog tag, it's cool. I don't wear it like I should. The nicest part is, it will automatically translate all the info, if you were to be in another country. You can load all of your medical info onto it. All your medications and how much you take.

There is a seperate locked section, that you can use as a standard thumb-drive.

From what i have read, the ICE Dog tag was started in Europe and is a much bigger hit over there.