General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Harley makes the quickest production vehicle EVER.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Harley makes the quickest production vehicle EVER.

Not just standards, not just V-twins, not just bikes. The Harley Davidson VXRSE Screamin Eagle Destroyer, which is available at a the dealership, runs a stock 9.18 1/4 mile.

That wheelie bar is stock btw.

It's a turnkey racebike. 165hp, 7 inch wide flat drag slick, programmable ecu for different rider weights and rev limits and an air-shifter allow it to run low 9 second quarter miles from the factory.

Now I'm not a harley fan, seeings how they under-engineer everything, and market it to a bunch of pussies who think that the sole criteria for a good bike is having its name on your t-shirt, truck, boots, pants and tampons, but I have to admit this is kind of cool. I love when good things come from america, I just recognize that it doesn't happen as often as it should. and they say this is the quickest production vehicle EVER made... So I got to give harley their dues here. Well done chaps.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
It's cool, and unlike alot of folks on here I actually like Harleys. But it's not street legal, and there are a bunch of production bikes you could give a few drag race mods to and they'll go down a quarter mile just as quick or quicker. Heck lower and put an exhaust and a power commander on any zx14/hayabusa/and they'll go just as quick and still be street legal.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
It's still a harley
Old 02-21-2010, 10:38 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
lol...
Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Originally Posted by captainchaos
It's cool, and unlike alot of folks on here I actually like Harleys. But it's not street legal, and there are a bunch of production bikes you could give a few drag race mods to and they'll go down a quarter mile just as quick or quicker. Heck lower and put an exhaust and a power commander on any zx14/hayabusa/and they'll go just as quick and still be street legal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNgxUfWvEM And here you have it.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
That Harley was news 2 years ago lol...
Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by captainchaos
A lot of turbo'd and stretched busas won't run the 1/4 mile that fast. You have to give credit where credit is due. It is fast.

And the comment about "still a harley" is just as ignorant as every harley idiot who says "still jap crap". The bike is fast. a hell of a lot faster than yours. Obviously it isn't a highway cruiser, it is what it is. A racebike. And it does it well. Quickest 1/4 mile time of any vehicle ever produced is a hell of a thing. If you can't appreciate a bike solely for what it is, and not what name tag is on it, you have a lot to learn.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hawknut
Don't buy it. the zx10 is a second slower in the 1/4 than the harley. Since I didn't see any times, I have to think either the ninja was highly modded (it was stretched) or that the harley had a bad run.

And I'm with you guys, I hate harleys, BUT because of what they are, not the name tag. And the bottom line, which is not disputable, is that this is the fastest vehicle ever produced. which is badass. You can build anything up to be faster, and I think it would be cooler to do so, but if honda made a bike that was the fastest in the world you guys would love it.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Their definition of a "production vehicle" is a bit lopsided to say the least... In my world that means it's street legal as well as factory built... Otherwise you could argue a MotoGP bike is a "production vehicle"... Id like to see one of those do a standing 1/4 and see what happens...

And to me it doesn't matter if it's made by HD or Honda... Make it street legal and I might be interested...
Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Originally Posted by maverick
Don't buy it. the zx10 is a second slower in the 1/4 than the harley. Since I didn't see any times, I have to think either the ninja was highly modded (it was stretched) or that the harley had a bad run.

And I'm with you guys, I hate harleys, BUT because of what they are, not the name tag. And the bottom line, which is not disputable, is that this is the fastest vehicle ever produced. which is badass. You can build anything up to be faster, and I think it would be cooler to do so, but if honda made a bike that was the fastest in the world you guys would love it.
Okay-I'll give you your 1st sentence.The Kaw did red light and from what I gather that is is a 1/8th mile track.Stretched or wheelie bar?I know what I would rather launch with.Bad run--you buy a 40,000 dollar limited production purpose built drag bike-------learn how to ride it.Hate Harley's--Never use the word hate.I am a motorcyclist.I like'em all.Fastest produced--not hardley.Quickest maybe.Build up to be faster(that's quicker)--Get out your wallet,Harley did it for you.Love it--I'm an old fart.That quicker faster stuff does not impress me anymore.What Harley should have done is put that effort into the Buell instead.I like Buells and one day I may own one.They did'nt survive because they were not the quickest and fastest.The Hawk did not sell well because it was'nt the quickest or fastest but it sure is fun to ride.I was just giving The Captain a +1 on his post thats all.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
I guess being available through a HD Dealer qualifies the term 'Production'? I'm neutral about Harleys - I like some - but not all...but to take this on as an engineering project is a really brave step for a mainstream manufacturer...IMHO

I should have good reason to dislike Harley Davidison, after all, they dropped my other bike (Buell), but I don't blame 'em for that...that have to stay solvent...

Back to the V Rod...you could always take the wheelie bars off and pop down the store for a jug of milk...
Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it would be something much more humorous! :-)

I would have to give the bike a resounding "meh." - I really don't get what Harley Davidson is trying to do here, aside from get a bit of cheap P.R... Is there really a big "turnkey racebike" market, or "turnkey anything race" market for that matter?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
They are real fast back to the dealership for warranty work. My brother has one. Junk!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Superstock

I guess it's kind of a novelty. I hate almost everything harley does. They're ******. They make a shitty under-engineered product which is way overpriced and marketed to douchebag yuppies with too much money.

That said, they have THE quickest production vehicle ever made. Period. Doesn't matter how much money you spend, you can't go faster(stock) than this harley in the 1/4. 2 million bucks on an enzo, 1.5 on a veyron, you're getting your doors blown off. By a harley. (assuming what I read was right of course and it is the quickest)

I like the fact that they almost definitely lost money on this venture, so they didn't pump out a pile of **** for profit (like normal) I think it showed ***** and they did it for the right reasons. I'd love to see honda make a production bike to beat it... but as it stands this bike is king of the hill.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Put a wheelie bar on a stock Hayabusa and it will go faster for less than half the money. The word "production" in this case is meaningless.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Put a wheelie bar on a stock Hayabusa and it will go faster for less than half the money. The word "production" in this case is meaningless.
Sorry Killer... Those wheelie bars are aftermarket. You're disqualified!!! ...and Harley gets to remain king of that sad, lonely little hill.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by maverick
market it to a bunch of pussies who think that the sole criteria for a good bike is having its name on your t-shirt, truck, boots, pants and tampons
bahaaa oh man i love this quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
haha looks like a nice bike. i'd love to take one for a cruise someday
Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AngryOlaf
Sorry Killer... Those wheelie bars are aftermarket. You're disqualified!!! ...and Harley gets to remain king of that sad, lonely little hill.
You have a point. I think being king of that sad, lonely little hill is the whole point of this exercise for Harley. Kind of like Andy Kaufman being the intergender wrestling champion of the world.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:21 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Your getting a bit nutty here.
Mentioning Enzo's and Veyron - These are cars, not bikes. Bikes have always had a power to weight advantage over cars. For much of the last 40 years (maybe longer) bikes have been faster than cars.
The fastest is simply that. Someone is always fastest. Now Harley has a turn. Big deal. It is a purpose built non streat legal vehicle.
Not much technology goin on here...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Seen those at the local harley dealership for years.. never quite understood them, but to each their own. (I am not a huge fan of drag races in general)
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
DID NOBODY NOTICE THE REDLIGHT IN THE RIGHT LANE?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Good catch, the Kawi red-lights. As far ahead as he was, it probably would have been the same outcome had he gotten a fair launch.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I'm not a huge fan of H-D's, as I don't buy into their whole "image". I can see that some of their bikes have a nicer fit & finish to them than a Honda/Yamaha/etc. But to me, the difference isn't worth the extra price tag. I would love to support an American made motorcycle, but at the moment that would mean either HD or Victory, both of which are vying for image sales (IMO). ANYWAY, back to this "stock" bike. While I'm sure it's awesome to some folks, I can't find any reason to think it's even remotely cool. The lonely king of the ant hill line was pretty good. All it would take to topple this bike is a factory turbo'd & stretched ZX-14 or 'Busa; and Suzuki or Kawi could take this "title".
Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Is a harley with a porsche engine really a harley? Perhaps if they let Porsche make the rest of the bike, you might have something worthwhile. Unfortunately, harley is like some of the other american manufacturers(e.g.,ford, chevy)who put out cheap **** and charged equal to much higher quality and marketed their products to an unsuspecting public. If capitalism was allowed to operate correctly, these companies would have been long gone based on quality vs price alone, even though it takes a while for some consumers to understand what's happening.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
A couple years ago at a bike show there was a real nicely done turbo V rod. Guy said he had to mod it to run with modern honawayamazukis. Said he was terrified every time he rode it. Couple months later he shows up at my sons work, Mitsu dealership. Has an Eclipse turbo too. Freaky little middleaged guy with fur boots, OD and leather and too much **** memorabilia for my tastes. But he does burnouts driving through the service bays and makes the world a more interesting place while hopefully doing little harm. Kinda like a factory drag bike from H D.
I've always been impressed with how fast some guys get a sportster to go. Makes me wonder what you could get out of a modded 9N in the quarter mile (definitely put the wheelie bar on)!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Bingo!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Ducati makes a "production" WSBK spec 1198R that you can order through a ducati dealership. By Harleys definition that would qualify as a production bike and be faster than the Harley. Less weight, 200+ horsepower, + horse jockey sized rider = fastest "production" motorcycle. No wheelie bar needed due to advanced electronics that limit front wheel lift and rear wheel slip. Oh yeah, this bike leans over too. Every major european and Japanese manufacturer that competes today has a purchase program where you can buy a racebike right from them and hit the track. The difference is they don't consider them to be "production" bikes. They consider them "race" bikes. The difference is in what is defined as a production vehicle.
BTW, a bone stock Busa will run a 9.8 with the right rider. A bone stock zx-14 will run mid 9 seconds. And these bikes are true "production" bikes. Stretched and slammed with a pro rider you can get both of these bikes very close to a 9.1 without engine mods.
Seeing Harley do something like this just annoys me. Not because it's Harley but because they are supposedly carrying the mantle of American motorcycle manufacturing and instead of invest in technology that will allow them to compete they just choose to create their own meaningless categories. It is frustrating because I want nothing more than to see an American company compete at the top level and be sucsessful. Buell could have eventually gotten there, MotoCysz may still get there, but Harley would rather just play in their own sandbox.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
For the record at the ZX14 press intro back in '06 Ryan Schnitz ran a 9.00/156 mph pass on a new '14 that was stock other than a Muzzy exhaust and being lowered. So the only reason a turboed '14 or a 'busa wont run 8's is because either the tuner or the rider isn't up to the task.

Yes the Destroyer was a little blip on the radar back when it came out, but the fact that it's not street legal and from what I've read has no warranty, in my opinion, kinda makes it a bit of a gimmick no one really cares that much about. Again remember I like Harleys-and I like lots of other bikes too. I don't have any tattoos and I'm not into the whole weekend warrior leather vest image thing. I don't think EVERYONE who owns one is. And I always went to Daytona to see the races, not the choppers and the drunks. I guess I just like motorcycles in general meaning most anything on two wheels. So I just like the bikes anyway for what they are. Like I like old musclecars. Hearing them get blasted gets kinda old just like all the import guys blasting musclecars and even modern vettes gets old. I've seen EVERY make of motorcycle have immediate problems and also sitting in puddles of their own fluid while still under warranty-Harley, Ducati, Honda, etc. I've also seen plenty of Harleys run for many years with no problems or issues, and with a build, material and detail quality (and light years better style) you just don't get on any Japanese cruiser. Not that they aren't built well, the word "cheap" just comes to mind. This has been debated all day long, but I've been around enough of them and to make a blanket statement and say they're all built like **** is assinine-yeah maybe it the 80's they were, and so were alot of things. We already know they won't corner like a Ducati...A Rolls won't corner like a Civic either...

But back to the Destroyer, I guess it is what maverick says it is. But I don't think most people care. What's the point really? Not street legal and no warranty? I've read of one guy who's engine blew up after 15 passes and no one at his dealer even knew how to work on it and after he called Harley they said he was on his own. With regards to a regular Vrod I think it's a great bike for what it is. Yeah the seating position is completely wrong, and I'd love the engine in a sportier chassis. And for heaven's sake Porsche did not design the damned engine. Harley has been consulting with them for over 20 years with their designs, get over it, it's nothing new. The bike's built in America.

I think mine and many other's biggest frustration with Harley is that we'd like something built American a little more suited to our tastes that runs with what the rest of the world has to offer. Their cruisers do that. But where's the sportier stuff? It'd be nice to see Harley reinvent themselves, at least somewhat, the way companies like Cadillac have. Sooner or later their market is going to start drying up. Remember back in the day a sportster was the quickest and fastest STREET LEGAL production bike money could buy...

Instead of gimmicks I'd like to hear more real world stuff I can give Harley kudos for, like the fact that in the road test of the new Dyna Wideglide, CW did the same 60-0 stopping distance as a new CBR600rr WITH ABS.

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-22-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
fastest fagmobile on the market. congrats harley. you've narrowly avoided legitimacy again.

Quick Reply: Harley makes the quickest production vehicle EVER.