Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Carry while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Squid

redmanmbz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Furrybiker
Coming from a country where we cannot even own a handgun legally, and as you know not even the police are routinely armed, have any of you had need to use it?
Criminals don't care about the law, either there or here. I'm sure if you research it, you will find a fair amount of cases where locals are armed and don't care about the laws.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redmanmbz
Criminals don't care about the law, either there or here. I'm sure if you research it, you will find a fair amount of cases where locals are armed and don't care about the laws.
Obviously by the nature of the subject it is impossible to find out what proportion of the country is illegally armed, that some criminals are is of course a given, but here because so few people are armed the criminals have less "need". This is perhaps proven by the number of crimes recorded where guns are used in the UK. The last year for which I can find figures is 2006 when in London there were 3,350, this includes just being carried, less than 45 per cent were fired. This means firearms are involved in 1 in every 500 crimes.

Hope you find this interesting.

Just as an aside in 1903 a Latvian terrorist group, OK then they were anarchists, had a running gunfight in London. The police were so poorly armed by their armoury that passers by handed them their far superior weapons. In those days UK gun crime was almost unheard of.......
Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
Im just gonna stay out of the politics side of this thread. I carry my full size kimber in a galco small of the back holster when riding. Its comfortable and easily concealed with a jacket. My only worry is in the event of an accident it being right on top of my spine it could cause unnecessary damage, so i have started to position the pistol a little right of my spine.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
Sorry I didnt mean this to sound political, I am not pro or anti just interested as a bystander from a country with long established close links.

Actually the point about causing damage in the event of an accident is very valid people here have been killed in fairly minor accidents by their security chain that they have been wearing like a bandoleer.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mattaua
Speaking from experience, it has come to a point in the US where so many "criminals" or lets just say bad guys hate police and law enforcement that we become a target. If I am on duty I am armed and on high alert. If I am off duty I am still armed but I never freely give up the information that I am a cop. Even down here in podunk South Carolina there are documented cases at my agency were officers have come home from work to find someone standing in their yard or driveway waiting to attack them because they put them in jail umpteen years ago. Or attacks on police where the attacker simply said he did it because he hates cops.

Even with all that aside, again in podunk SC I go to calls for service everyday where normal people minding their own business are robbed, beaten, killed, etc. for as little as a few dollars. And 99% of the time it can be traced back to drugs.
You are right. I think about that quite often