Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Carry while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Squid

BlackhawksFan is on a distinguished road
Carry while riding?

I was just curious if anyone else carries when they ride? I normally carry a Sig or Glock, but the position of the SH makes it pretty uncomfortable. I was considering going with either a small pocket pistol, but I may have to borrow my wife's G27 if she will let me.

On a side note, my wife and I both have our CCW permits, and I tend to open carry frequently as well. If anyone in NE Ohio ever wants to go shooting let me know, always looking for riding/shooting buddies.

Last edited by BlackhawksFan; 06-10-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I think in Arizona it's state law that we all have to carry.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:47 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
And if not it should be!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
Another good reason to move to AZ when I retire from the Navy!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I think in THIS MODERN WORLD it's common sense that we all have to carry.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
I carry a s & w 642 airweight .38 snubby (hammerless, double only) either on my ankle, or I have an inside the pants holster that works well on my hip or the small of my back.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Squid

BlackhawksFan is on a distinguished road
On my last bike I would carry my P220 in a drop leg holster. But again I don't like the positioning with the SH.

I zip my jacket to my pants, so IWB is pretty sketchy as well. I will probably end up with another Kahr or Model 60 and pocket holster to put in my jacket.

If you ever want to see an interesting show on carrying/gun control, check out the Bullshit episode by Penn and Teller.
http://vidbunker.com/pampt_bullshit_gun_control_1
http://vidbunker.com/pampt_bullshit_gun_control_2
http://vidbunker.com/pampt_bullshit_gun_control_3

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used. - Hunter S Thompson
Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Yes
Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
Never had an issue with comfort while carrying on the Hawk and I carry a full size berreta px-4 storm in a safariland paddle holster
Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Yes
Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I keep a full size Glock 22 in my tank bag at all times.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan
I was just curious if anyone else carries when they ride? I normally carry a Sig or Glock, but the position of the SH makes it pretty uncomfortable. I was considering going with either a small pocket pistol, but I may have to borrow my wife's G27 if she will let me.

On a side note, my wife and I both have our CCW permits, and I tend to open carry frequently as well. If anyone in NE Ohio ever wants to go shooting let me know, always looking for riding/shooting buddies.

I dont roll to anyone's hood with out my Gat!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!
p90 Ruger
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
It's either the H&K P7 (my personal fave carry piece) in a fanny pack strapped to the back of the seat (and worn whenever I get off the bike), or the Smith Body Guard Air Weight in the side pocket of my jacket.

Regardless of what the political ****** of your state have voted for, every American citizen has a constitutionally guaranteed right to be armed at all times. And any LEO who would arrest you for exercising that right has violated their oath and is unworthy of respect.

Last edited by RK1; 06-11-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Squid

2Smoker is on a distinguished road
It never even occurred to me that, of course, some of you Americans WOULD bear arms. I'm from New Zealand where guns AREN'T carried by the Police, let alone the general public. The Armed Offenders Squad which is a division of the Police are the only armed law enforcers in this country. They were formed in 1964 after the fatal shooting of four Police Officers. These days they would execute warrants on Gang pads or similar groups proven to house weapons or when raiding meth-labs as more-often-than-not illegal firearms are found at these places, for whatever reason.
I'm not about to take a stand for OR against firearms rights but i will say that shooting them (in controlled environments) is enormously satisfying. As far i can see, the problem may not be the issue that guns exist but instead the kind of people that are allowed to carry/use them. All too often i meet people with little or no discipline concerning most situations in life, or emotionally unstable people that up to a certain point, until triggered, seemed perfectly normal. Can't say i'd like to cross paths with this type who, by law, CAN own weapons. What if you, by their suspicion, look at them funny?
One could never find a compromise or common ground regarding the issue of guns so i'll leave it and share with you a recent case where this guy has just been convicted of murder here.. His co-offender was convicted with manslaughter. Basically the two officers were on this guys property late one night and set off a security light. The resident, Skinner, naturally thought the men were burglars so proceeded to "Defend himself"

"The man accused of shooting dead an undercover police officer says he did so out of self defence, the High Court has heard.

John Ward Skinner, 37, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Sergeant Don Wilkinson on September 11, 2008.
Mr Wilkinson was shot and killed by Skinner with an air rifle on a driveway around the corner from Skinner's home where Mr Wilkinson and a colleague were trying to install a tracking device on a car.

Police allege Skinner is involved with the manufacture of P.
He and another man, Iain Lindsay Clegg, 33, are on trial at the High Court at Auckland. They are both charged with Mr Wilkinson's murder and attempted murder of his colleague, who has name suppression.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2Smoker
It never even occurred to me that, of course, some of you Americans WOULD bear arms. I'm from New Zealand where guns AREN'T carried by the Police, let alone the general public. The Armed Offenders Squad which is a division of the Police are the only armed law enforcers in this country. They were formed in 1964 after the fatal shooting of four Police Officers. These days they would execute warrants on Gang pads or similar groups proven to house weapons or when raiding meth-labs as more-often-than-not illegal firearms are found at these places, for whatever reason.
I'm not about to take a stand for OR against firearms rights but i will say that shooting them (in controlled environments) is enormously satisfying. As far i can see, the problem may not be the issue that guns exist but instead the kind of people that are allowed to carry/use them. All too often i meet people with little or no discipline concerning most situations in life, or emotionally unstable people that up to a certain point, until triggered, seemed perfectly normal. Can't say i'd like to cross paths with this type who, by law, CAN own weapons. What if you, by their suspicion, look at them funny?
One could never find a compromise or common ground regarding the issue of guns so i'll leave it and share with you a recent case where this guy has just been convicted of murder here.. His co-offender was convicted with manslaughter. Basically the two officers were on this guys property late one night and set off a security light. The resident, Skinner, naturally thought the men were burglars so proceeded to "Defend himself"

"The man accused of shooting dead an undercover police officer says he did so out of self defence, the High Court has heard.

John Ward Skinner, 37, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Sergeant Don Wilkinson on September 11, 2008.
Mr Wilkinson was shot and killed by Skinner with an air rifle on a driveway around the corner from Skinner's home where Mr Wilkinson and a colleague were trying to install a tracking device on a car.

Police allege Skinner is involved with the manufacture of P.
He and another man, Iain Lindsay Clegg, 33, are on trial at the High Court at Auckland. They are both charged with Mr Wilkinson's murder and attempted murder of his colleague, who has name suppression.
Even though I will gladly debate guncontrol with the American crowd until where all old and grey, in that particular scenario (with my limited information) I'd say it's wrong against wrong... What where the dumbasses that came up with that gameplan think was going to happen if a supposedly criminal catches them on his property and has the option to claim they are burglars? Did they think he was going to wave at them and say "Hi!"?!?

I'm not saying it was in anyway right to shoot at them... But somewhere along the planning they should have figured out that it was a bad idea...
Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Squid

2Smoker is on a distinguished road
The two Officers chose NOT to identify themselves as Police upon being chased down and cornered!! I wonder if thats protocol? If you've got no choice but to blow your cover or the intentions of the Police, make sure it's done by losing your life.

Great show that Bullshit!!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
As usual, right and wrong; truth or lies, varies from person to person.

BTW: AMT .380 Backup - 1st generation w/ solid trigger (how friggin' old is that !)
I'd rather have a piece and not need it...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
Do you Guys that "pack" use a throttle meister and a rekluse clutch,so its easier to discharge your weapon at speed! LOL
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Back Marker

Actually I have a remington 870 in place of the bars. LOL
Old 06-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Back Marker

Believe it or not, I've seen that before. The pic was faxed in as an officer safety alert saying that someone out west had that setup. it was pretty cool actually. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by steve29; 06-11-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Damn I wish I could carry in Illinois, I wouldn't know which to carry.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Back Marker

Found it. Here's the link: http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/12-gauge-hoss.html
Old 06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I actually only carried 1 time but i thought some sumbitch was stealin my truck, so i chased em dwn with a .45, lol and about that shotgun on the boss oss, dude thats awesome, im thinkin about a saddle holster strapped on the side of the hawkster, wutcha all think? lmao
Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
Coming from a country where we cannot even own a handgun legally, and as you know not even the police are routinely armed, have any of you had need to use it?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Yes. Not while on a motorcycle though.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Squid

midwest22 is on a distinguished road
Ive been considering strapping 2 sidewinders and a grenade launcher to my bike but never thought about carrying while riding.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:14 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Twice in about the past 15 years. No shots fired either time. That's the way it usually works. Someone who is about to, or is in the process of attacking yourself or other innocent person will usually change their mind when you point a handgun at their head.

Nice option for free men in a free society. Beats the hell out of calling the cops, armed or otherwise, to come draw a chalk line around a body and write a report.

Especially so when the body those cops were going to draw a chalk line around was going to be you, your wife or your child.

The Police. May God bless them, but when seconds count, they'll be there in a few minutes. Heavily armed with their chalk, clipboard and a sharp pencil.

Last edited by RK1; 06-12-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
+1 RK1 Here in the metropolitan area there are alot of inexperienced and stupid people with guns. Laws are meaningless once you are confronted with certain situations. Thankfully, they aren't usually so stupid that your mentioned lesson is lost on them!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
It is the thought of stupid people, who in an unarmed society just rant, being armed that terrifies me. The gun and knife crime we see is confined to small groups and while the effects are obviously tragic they are rare.

We have approximately 1 gun murder per million people per year, OK the events of the last week in Cumbria may screw those figures.

From what I have heard from friends who have worked in the US, granted about 10 years ago, they felt that the gun was almost an item of "jewellery", these guys worked servicing medical equipment and were learning about new kit so were on secondment and working in some rough parts of town. The people they worked with were shocked that our guys didnt carry weapons, ours were shocked that they did!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Speaking from experience, it has come to a point in the US where so many "criminals" or lets just say bad guys hate police and law enforcement that we become a target. If I am on duty I am armed and on high alert. If I am off duty I am still armed but I never freely give up the information that I am a cop. Even down here in podunk South Carolina there are documented cases at my agency were officers have come home from work to find someone standing in their yard or driveway waiting to attack them because they put them in jail umpteen years ago. Or attacks on police where the attacker simply said he did it because he hates cops.

Even with all that aside, again in podunk SC I go to calls for service everyday where normal people minding their own business are robbed, beaten, killed, etc. for as little as a few dollars. And 99% of the time it can be traced back to drugs.

Quick Reply: Carry while riding?