Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Bikers beat up Prius driver

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Bikers beat up Prius driver

Hwy 101 near the south end of the San Francisco Peninsula, a large group of bikers, made up of several different clubs are riding north in the #1 lane. A 19 year old in a Prius is in the #2 lane, taking video of the bikers with his cell phone when he drifts into the #3 lane. The Prius driver then overcorrects and shots across the #1 lane and into the center divider K-rail, taking down 2 bikes in the process.

As a result, some of the bikers jump the Prius driver and start beating on him. Two of the bikers and the Prius driver are taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Now I don't condone violence, but I think no charges should be held against the bikers for the assault, and the Prius driver should be cited for distracted driving, using a cell phone while driving, and for just plain being an idiot and a lousy driver.

Google "bikers beat up Prius driver" for the details.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Yeah I heard about that one....oooh lets take a video of the bikes....dumb ***....
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
My take on this is that it's just another excellent reason not to ride in groups.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I also don't condone the violance but first the guy was an idiot for driving a prius, second I agree that if he's dumb enough to take the video he should be paying enough attention to not swerve into the #3 lane. Then he shouldn't have been so stupid as to overcorrect as bad as he did to take out the bikers. On one hand the bikers may not be in the right to beat him down but I think it was justified.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Around here anyway, Prius drivers are some of the most aggressive drivers on the road. A few years ago on my way to work, I had one come up behind me in the carpool lane, right on my rear wheel. I was doing 80 mph on my Superhawk. She then exited the carpool lane and shot around me doing over 90. Environmentalists my ***!

Plus, with all the technology those cars are equipped with, for some reason many of them did not get equipped with turn signals.
please don't fall into the politically correct toilet by labeling all aggressive driving as negative. At least, most aggressive drivers are actively driving.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think the shocking part is how slow distracted driving laws are being passed and enforced. I think no one votes for them because they themselves do it constantly.

I want to say I dont condone violence but man if someone acts violently against you, (even with a car) you should be able to retaliate.

I have gotten better but I still yell and beep at people who are on the phone/ txting.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I have gotten better but I still yell and beep at people who are on the phone/ txting.
you're gettin better, the cagers are gettin worse.... maybe you're becoming conditioned to tolerate the crazies, who are not really as crazy as we who subject our welfare to armored vehicles piloted by them.

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Well nath, the last thing I want to do is be politically correct. And you're right, if you don't ride aggressively at times on a motorcycle, you may not last long.

Self-righteous, arrogant bad drivers would have been a better description.
yeah. too many people giving aggressive drivers a bad rap while it's more a problem of selfish bastards who seem to be exonerated for staying within the speed limit, but are really sleeping at the helm, ****** up all the traffic and overall creating a more dangerous environment.

As i've said before, i like "aggression with discretion". Implies assertiveness, alertness and an awareness of how other drivers perceive your intention, which is nothing more than to move safely through traffic at the pace i want to ride while respecting everyone's right to share the roadway.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
When I'm on two wheels the motto is "The best defense is a good offense" That doesn't mean that I'm riding like an *******, but I also make sure I am moving through traffic rather than traffic moving through me. I'm always trying to find that bubble of no cars directly around me so that I am left with options and escape routes when **** goes down.

The prius driver was certainly an idiot for trying to pull off what he did, and obviously didn't have the driving skills to compensate for his idiocy. Should they have beat him down? Probably not, but I understand that emotions were likely running high at that moment. I imagine they will likely face assault and battery charges as a result.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
Where I live they passed a new law in about 6 months ago...ANY use of a cellphone without the use of a hands-free device results in a $285 ticket and 2 points against your licence. This goes for any time you are driving on public streets...even stopped at a light or railway crossing. If you dont have a bluetooth device in the car the phone cannot be within reach of the driver, if pulled over the police have the authority to ticket you for that as well if they want to be mean about it.

It makes me laugh because the cops will just stand there on the sidewalk at an intersection and just walk up to people, sitting there texting away, totally oblivious to the fact that this cop is watching you in your car. They caught 500 people in the first couple weeks! It has definitely stopped alot of people from being dumbasses lately...but there will always be lots of them who just dont get it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I must confess that if I, or someone I am riding with or care about was in some way hit and injured by a drunk or negligent driver, I would be very hard pressed not to jump on the idiot and beat him within an inch of his life....... Sadly, far too many people do not take the responsibility that goes with driving seriously (as evidenced by the prevalence of cell phone talking drivers, texting drivers, on-road makeup artists,.....). If such irresponsible morons want to take themselves out, who am I to argue with them (Darwinism at work). However, when their actions and lack of common sense/courtesy/responsibility threaten the health and well-being of others, well, it`s open season in my opinion...... Vigilante justice, you bet.

Last edited by mikstr; 05-23-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikstr
I must confess that if I, or someone I am riding with or care about was in some way hit and injured by a drunk or negligent driver, I would be very hard pressed not to jump on the idiot and beat him within an inch of his life....... Sadly, far too many people do not take the responsibility that goes with driving seriously (as evidenced by the prevalence of cell phone talking drivers, texting drivers, on-road makeup artists,.....). If such irresponsible morons want to take themselves out, who am I to argue with them (Darwinism at work). However, when their actions and lack of common sense/courtesy/responsibility threaten the health and well-being of others, well, it`s open season in my opinion...... Vigilante justice, you bet.
Got to agree with you on this Micky....
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
From the articles, the charges that appear to be given to both parties seem grossly unbalanced.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
He accidentally hit two live humans with a whole car (2 ton smashing weapon) and will get charged for distracted driving? That's like accidentally firing a gun in a grocery store and getting cited for causing too much noise...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Minor injuries to three guys, $20... Minor injury to one guy, $3000 and counting...

Nope, don't seem fair to me... Some law should really apply, since he not only was "distracted" but caused injuries...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I don't have a problem with someone on the phone is is driving correctly, using his signals and staying in his lane. What I can't stand are all the Opra's out there that don't have a clue, are swerving between lanes, not using their signals and causing problems. If you can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time STAY OFF YOUR PHONE!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
I don't have a problem with someone on the phone is is driving correctly, using his signals and staying in his lane. What I can't stand are all the Opra's out there that don't have a clue, are swerving between lanes, not using their signals and causing problems. If you can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time STAY OFF YOUR PHONE!!!!
Better yet, take the bus! Then I can use the road without getting run over... And they can chew bubble gum, text, do make-up or read the paper and shave... Win-win...

Last edited by Tweety; 05-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
If you can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time STAY OFF THE ROAD!!!!
Fixed it
Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I wonder if it was the vampires or any barf riders. A big group if them (around 50) came into town this weekend to ride with the local group here.