Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Am I just being a sissy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Am I just being a sissy?

My first sport bike was my '99 Hawk that I purchased with cash at the age of 19. Not too expensive at $3600, but at 19, yeah, you guys know! I took good care of her mechanically and cosmetically, but I wasn't afraid to run it close to redline every now and then. I put 15k miles on it, and it most definitely wasn't a fair weather bike. If the day didn't start out in a down pour, or it was above 50 degrees, I was out on the bike. Period.

I recently purchased my '05 ZX-10r with 4k miles on it. The PO babied this thing like you wouldn't believe. It's never seen rain. For some reason, I cannot bring myself to take my bike down here to Camp Lejeune, as I don't have a place to keep it indoors (Both at back home in WV). Reading the high mileage thread got me wondering. Why don't I have my bike down here yet? The ZX is a fantastic bike, but it's no $70k Ducati Desmo. What am I worrying about? One part of me wants to bring it down and ride the ever living **** out of it (See if I can hit 80 or 100k on it!) and the other part of me wants me to keep it the way it is - A mint, low milege bike ridden on good days. I would bring the Hawk down here and use it as the beater (Hate to use that term, but can't think of anything else), but I passed it onto my Dad so we could do some father/son riding.

What say ye? Quit being a bitch and bring it down, or figure out a way to keep it down here but in the cleanest and nicest way possible? I'm going absoluty nuts not logging on bike miles. I've never done drugs in my life, but I can seriously understand how those guys go crazy over withdrawls. I miss the stupidest things, like riding to the gas station, or riding around all day going nowhere, accomplishing nothing at the end of the day other than having a stupid big grin on my face. Thoughts?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
The ZX10-R is a great bike and I'd love to have one, but in the final analysis, it's just another Jap sport bike that depreciates every day you own it whether you ride it or not.

A little rain now and then won't hurt it either. Are you afraid it's gonna shrink or somethin'?

Seriously, get a $15 tarp from Home Depot to keep the sun and rain off of it. It will hold up as well as would in a garage.

Better yet, I'll let you store it in my garage. I'll only take it out on sunny California Sunday mornings for 50 or 60 miles so the battery doesn't go dead, the injectors don't clog up etc.

Last edited by RK1; 01-14-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Get it down there and ride the dame thing,, And the sissy part was easy as soon as I saw where you were stationed….LOL… At ease Marine.. I’m just screwing with ya…
Buy a good cover, know it’s going to take some additional wear and tear, clean, wash it often, but nicks and dents, wear marks from use and the cover will show up,, SO WHAT,,it’s all part of the cost of riding The enjoyment you get divided by daily riding cost and some additional deprecation do to a little extra wear = fun Well worth it in my book. I've had bikes a every duty station for the pat 23 years,, even back when I was single and lived in the barracks.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
+1 ride the damn thing
Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I'll be a honest and blunt.

You're not the first owner, so it's not really your baby.
It's a sportbike, a modern Race Replica, there is no resale value, i.e. not a collectible
You're depriving yourself of the enjoyment of riding.

You're a Jarhead, programmed to follow orders, so, Marine go get the damned bike and ride it when not in a duty status.

Erik
ET1(SS), USN sends
Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i can't see myself owning something i wouldn't use. it's just a bike...
a garage is better no doubt, but you can get it insured for theft & or damage or rent yourself a self storage place. if you leave it outside buy a quality cover.

sitting around thinking about riding is for when your gimp ( healing from a crash ) !

enjoy
tim
Old 01-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like your too busy worrying about the bike and not enjoy it.

You need to ride more and worry less.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Ride it. Flog it. Then sell it for top dollar like everyone else that has a I-4 that thinks it the best bike out there. They still make ZX10s. They don't make SHs any more, so take care of them if you own one.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
First off... if you think you're a sissy, you probably are!
OK, j/k.

Get it down there. Get it dirty. Shoot, scratch the paint or something so you can get over "Pristine-Bike Syndrome". Then the fun starts!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
yes
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
bikes are meant to be ridden. i doubt the inventor of motorcycles created such an awesome concept for the purpose of not using it to its potential. as alive226 says, ride the damn thing.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
yes
When another dude asks this question, the answer is always "YES". Get that bike....
Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
ride it.
because it's a kawi don't even bother with a cover!
just kiddin', get a cover!