Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

VFR Gas Tanks on Ebay

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
VFR Gas Tanks on Ebay

Wow, I was throwing around the idea of doing the VFR tank mod to get some more miles on the bike before having to refill and was amazed at some of the VFR tanks being pretty cheap. HHMMMMMM

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Here is the swap process:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...light=vfr+tank
Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Mine was $25 if I remember right Will be starting the swap a bit after it gets here, but going to try it a little different. Somebody in one of the original threads had mentioned removing the airbox top so the thing fits without beating it in, then making a conformed-to-the-tank top (with no actual top part) that made the bottom of the tank the top of the airbox. Might be good for another 1/2 a gallon, which would get the range up to 230 miles or better!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdbuehler
Mine was $25 if I remember right Will be starting the swap a bit after it gets here, but going to try it a little different. Somebody in one of the original threads had mentioned removing the airbox top so the thing fits without beating it in, then making a conformed-to-the-tank top (with no actual top part) that made the bottom of the tank the top of the airbox. Might be good for another 1/2 a gallon, which would get the range up to 230 miles or better!
Only problem with that plan is that the general consensuses is that the VTR is very sensitive to airbox mods.. That is most people who try modding the airbox end up putting it back to stock to keep it running well.

This doesn't mean that it can't be done, but it might be more work getting it running right after messing with the airbox than the 1/2 gallon is worth.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
True, that's why I figured trying that as opposed to just leaving the top off (which I'm going to try briefly to see how it behaves). I commute about 70 miles round trip a day, so I'll take every extra teaspoon I can squeeze onboard! As it stands, every other day I have to stop for gas!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
SuperSport

Here is possibly a really dumb question. Would it be possible to use all extra space on the rear of the bike to build a few fuel cells that would be linked to the main fuel tank. Under the rear plastics there is tons of room I usually have a few bottles of water and other items in. If a custom fuel cell could be made to make use of every ounce of extra space Im pretty sure you could at least get 1.5 maybe 2 more gallons without changing the look of the bike.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
SuperSport

The idea of adding extra tanks under the rear plastics is starting look like it could work. I did some searches and found companies that would make custom tanks some using aluminum some using resin. I may have to ask Truckinduc if he can render his services if I get him some measurements and some money. I think Ill start off by checking out how much volume I could get out of it.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Damn, wish my VFR had a range of 200+ miles! 200 is stretching it and its much worse in the cold. Interesting mod though. Those were the first pics I've ever seen of the mystical Superbling.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm running a 2001 VFR tank, and even modified to clear the airbox, it still holds 5.5 gallons.
I just wish I could get better than 30 mpg.................
Couple of pics to show what the big tank looks like.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails VFR Gas Tanks on Ebay-image006.jpg   VFR Gas Tanks on Ebay-image042a.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
My math off? With 5.8 gallons and about 40 mpg that should put things well over 200 miles. I'll double check my MPG next time I fill her up, which will be today since I did it Sunday night...

Looks good kai ju! I'll have to see what my options are for the gap between the tank and seat. My Bandit 400 had little plates to cover things, something similair may work here.

Last edited by mdbuehler; 04-07-2009 at 12:07 AM.