Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

No longer WTB: K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Squid

FbodyLT1 is on a distinguished road
No longer WTB: K&N Filter

I have a jet kit coming in already have an exhaust looking to get a high flow filter too. If you have one laying around or are parting out lmk what you want for it.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Save your time and money, use the search tool on here.

K&N filter creates more problems than benefits. Jet kit is mostly a waste of $$$ too.

Maybe go up one size on the main jets, add 1 #4 washer as a shim to the needles if you really want to, and adjust the fuel screws out a little if you really really really want to.

Before you do any of that, put on your exhaust, spend $80 on a dyno pull with exhaust gas sensor, and see if it is lean with the stock jetting - you might be fine as is.

Oh, and make sure your choke isn't broken at the fittings where the cables enter the carbs - that will throw everything down the toilet.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Squid

festertruck is on a distinguished road
If you still want one, pm me. I have one I took off my bike.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AndyMX47

K&N filter creates more problems than benefits.
I've been using one for better than 6 years+, my bike puked a healthy 108hp on the rollers and has no driveability issues.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by AndyMX47

K&N filter creates more problems than benefits. Jet kit is mostly a waste of $$$ too.

Maybe go up one size on the main jets, add 1 #4 washer as a shim to the needles if you really want to, and adjust the fuel screws out a little if you really really really want to.

Before you do any of that, put on your exhaust, spend $80 on a dyno pull with exhaust gas sensor, and see if it is lean with the stock jetting - you might be fine as is.

Oh, and make sure your choke isn't broken at the fittings where the cables enter the carbs - that will throw everything down the toilet.
I can tell im lean by the rainbow on my exhaust and as for the nightmare of K&N thats all about tuning properly. done it hundreds of times of high hp motors you just have to dial in the curve. it may well be a lot of changes to idle mid and full but once you get it right with a high flow intake and exhaust damn look out
Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by FbodyLT1
I can tell im lean by the rainbow on my exhaust and as for the nightmare of K&N thats all about tuning properly. done it hundreds of times of high hp motors you just have to dial in the curve. it may well be a lot of changes to idle mid and full but once you get it right with a high flow intake and exhaust damn look out
FI made this really easy but with carbs you have to work at it one small step at a time.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Squid

you just have to know what your doing and the rest falls in place!!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Squid

carbs are a fuel metering device never meant to be injection but work just as well if done right.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
you just have to know what your doing and the rest falls in place!!!!
Yeah I guess no one else in the world knows anything about setting up carbs....

All I will say is good luck with your efforts.

Many have tried, some claim they work just fine.

Personally I have never seen one but that is just me.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned
MotoGP

as for the nightmare of K&N thats all about tuning properly. done it hundreds of times of high hp motors you just have to dial in the curve.
Again do you really think after 17 years of tuning that no one else has ever tried to dial the K&N set up in? Or that the folks that tried really have no idea what they are doing?

Have you ever set up a V-Twin or a VTR?

If not you will soon find out that, in this application, the high flow filter causes more issues than it cures.

It is not just a quick dial it in but again good luck.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Squid

Im just saying that i think a high flow filter plus exhaust can be metered correctly if you put in the work. in any application why would a k&n filter be a crippling device if you meter the off idle flow with a high flow exhaust. you just have to match the input to the output to mae
Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Banned
MotoGP

I'm just saying don't be so quick to discount the skill of the folks who have come before you who have thrown their K&N filters in the trash because they don't work on this bike.

Personally it was the guys from Moriwaki who told me to get rid of the K&N filter as it just caused issues......

It has to do with CV carbs and turbulent air flow

Yes a High Flow filter usually works...... this application is different.

Again, good luck with your tuning project
Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I'm just saying don't be so quick to discount the skill of the folks who have come before you who have thrown their K&N filters in the trash because they don't work on this bike.

Personally it was the guys from Moriwaki who told me to get rid of the K&N filter as it just caused issues......

It has to do with CV carbs and turbulent air flow

Yes a High Flow filter usually works...... this application is different.

Again, good luck with your tuning project
Agree with this. CV carb is not easy to understand.

In fact a Honda 919 loses power with a K&N and they are FI. My Bandit has a K&N and was a pig to get close on tune.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:44 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Im just saying that i think a high flow filter plus exhaust can be metered correctly if you put in the work. in any application why would a k&n filter be a crippling device if you meter the off idle flow with a high flow exhaust. you just have to match the input to the output to mae
Lemme know what works when you find it... I have around 200+ hours on a dyno with various VTR engines (I have one in my home shop... Built by yours truly...)

All they way from bone stock engines to my own race engine making 150+ bhp... None of these engines benefited from using the K&N filter vs the stock filter... NONE...

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible... I could get the lightly modified engines making more horsepower than with the stock filter at peak RPM, but then they lost more than they gained in mid range, which is the key point with a V-twin, at least for me... Or, I could get decent power all across the curve, but with odd dips and surges that just didn't dial out, making the bike un-rideable as it kept bucking...

But with a bone stock engine, you typically get a big gaping hole in the mid range, with a small increase on peak rpm, making you think you get a big hit of power... But the dyno knows the difference...

If you want a high flowing washable filter that actually works like it should... Get a BMC street filter... It flows more than stock, less than the K&N, and it's fairly easy to tune in and it gives a nice little increase all across the rev range... The BMC race filter is similar to the K&N filter, albeit slightly less high flowing, and gives the same issues on a stock engine, but works very well on a modified engine...

The K&N filter however works just fine on a fully built engine (as in cams, pistons, valves, the works)... My race engine is more than happy with it should I decide to pop it in there, but I'm just so disgusted with it at this point I won't for the life of me...

Just my advice, but what do I know... I just spent hour after hour trying to make the damned thing to work... And yes, on a number of bikes, the K&N does just what it says on the box... But not on the VTR...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-15-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I've been using one for better than 6 years+, my bike puked a healthy 108hp on the rollers and has no driveability issues.
Yeah, probably true... But I bet that given a stock filter, a pair of jets and a little time on a dyno, I could coax another 2-3 rwhp out of it, spread out over a larger part of the rev band... Not really worth the effort, if you have a working setup with minimal dips and peaks, but just saying...

How about you pay my airfare, and I'll come over and show you... If I can't produce the numbers, I'll pay the trip myself... And yeah, I'm that sure...