Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

1 pair APE CCT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
1 pair APE CCT's

This post is for a local superhawk owner I know that changed his mind on the APE's. He decided to buy and install the newer oem units. They are brand new (in blister packs) and he only opened one far enough to get the directions out. $100 + shipping. PM or post here and I'll be the middle man.
Here is a google pic:
Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Squid

LuvmyVTR is on a distinguished road
Just wondering my SH only has 4.5k on it. I would think that my CCT would be ok till at least 15k right.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
You never know....consider it an insurance policy.
I think typically they go at higher miles, but there are failure stories with lower miles (then it costs more than $100 to fix that one).
Most people on here will argue it should be done. I did it with 8k on mine.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 AM
MotoGP

PM replied.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LuvmyVTR
Just wondering my SH only has 4.5k on it. I would think that my CCT would be ok till at least 15k right.
Yes, but you have to weigh the risks. It is about $100 for the Apes versus about $2,000 if you have to take your bike to the dealer to fix it and for new parts if you can't fix it yourself after the tensioner fails and valves hit piston. The tensioner should not fail at 4,500 miles, but the reason they fail may not be related to the total miles but maybe just a poor spring design or improper metal used in the spring--a ticking time bomb that you have no reliable method of estimating when it will fail.

It is not the same as like a timing belt on a car, there is no service limit on the spring, just a poor design. Since the spring or the spring system is inferior it would be difficult to predict when it will fail, since Honda didn't design it as a replacement item and give it recommended replacement time by testing like a timing belt. All we know is every time you ride your bike you run the risk of it failing. If you want to take that risk, ride it hard and keep your ear for the signs of it failing. If you do not have the money or skills to fix it if it does fail than it is not worth the risk. The risk is you lost your bike, so the $100 up against the risk of losing your bike is worth it.

I need to do my bike also that is why I am looking at the ad, but I have all the spare parts already to replace my top end if it fails. If one fails, I am probably out a weekend and a gasket set plus a set of Apes, so the risk is lower for me, and I'll do mine this spring, but I am not planning on much riding until May.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 AM
MotoGP

Sold!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Squid

LuvmyVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Torque Junkie
Yes, but you have to weigh the risks. It is about $100 for the Apes versus about $2,000 if you have to take your bike to the dealer to fix it and for new parts if you can't fix it yourself after the tensioner fails and valves hit piston. The tensioner should not fail at 4,500 miles, but the reason they fail may not be related to the total miles but maybe just a poor spring design or improper metal used in the spring--a ticking time bomb that you have no reliable method of estimating when it will fail.

It is not the same as like a timing belt on a car, there is no service limit on the spring, just a poor design. Since the spring or the spring system is inferior it would be difficult to predict when it will fail, since Honda didn't design it as a replacement item and give it recommended replacement time by testing like a timing belt. All we know is every time you ride your bike you run the risk of it failing. If you want to take that risk, ride it hard and keep your ear for the signs of it failing. If you do not have the money or skills to fix it if it does fail than it is not worth the risk. The risk is you lost your bike, so the $100 up against the risk of losing your bike is worth it.

I need to do my bike also that is why I am looking at the ad, but I have all the spare parts already to replace my top end if it fails. If one fails, I am probably out a weekend and a gasket set plus a set of Apes, so the risk is lower for me, and I'll do mine this spring, but I am not planning on much riding until May.
Good point, im pretty mechanically talented,I have done a few rebuilds on dirtbikes, and am currently turbo charging a ford probe with a JDM KLZE engine.
I guess im willing to risk it till @ least 10k.a guy is selling his totalled vtr on a CL add in charlotte. i asked him how much much for the motor out of curiosity and he said $450. The motor only has 5k on it to. FL02SupaHawk996 sold his built motor for $500, so i think if anyting happens it shouldnt be to long till i find a deal on used engine. but its definately something i will do if i plan on keeping this bike long term.