Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Front end swap from GSXR?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Front end swap from GSXR?

I know everyone does the CBR/RS51 front end swap. but how hard is it to do a swap from a gixser 1000?? Are there fork lenth/clearance issues? It doesnt seem like it would be much dif, has it been done?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
There are a few on the forum... Jamie Daugherty being one... The general idea is to use 929/954 triples and GSXR forks/wheel/brakes... But you will end up doing custom spacers... So I'd simplify and use CBR parts to begin with...
Old 10-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
There are a few on the forum... Jamie Daugherty being one... The general idea is to use 929/954 triples and GSXR forks/wheel/brakes... But you will end up doing custom spacers... So I'd simplify and use CBR parts to begin with...

Spacers for what?
Are the forks spaced differently between the CBR and the GSXR?
What's the deal, Jamie?

Rex
Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM
MotoGP

Yep... They are... And the calipers and discs and... Well... Lets just say CBR parts work as bolt on...
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
It can be done, but if you want to read my adventure into attempting this, and my end result of just going the CBR route you can read it here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17505

Galaxieman managed to do it, but didn't do a write up. I think he ended up just removing the flange that was a problem on mine, and using a TL front wheel rather than a GSXR one. (as a GSXR wheel doesn't space the rotors far enough apart)
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Well, I intend on trying this swap this winter.

My route is a full GSXR-600 front. Triples, forks, wheel, caliper and rotors.

When I called AllBallsRacing, they said the upper steering head bearing is the same, and the lower is modified, and they have a customer who buys the bearings, then machines them.

So, that makes one different bearing to buy. Then fitment of plastics and instrumentation.

Mine are off a 2004, so I have the Radial MC and Radial calipers.

I thought I had seen another thread where someone was doing a GSXR-1000 Front.

I'll try to take pics and do a decent write-up.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:02 AM
MotoGP

I am fairly certain that the other thing you will run into is that the steering head (neck) on the GSXR is quite a bit larger, that is your steering stem will be too long by over an inch.

Your best bet might be to have the steering stem from your VTR pressed into the GSXR triple.. Then you can use the VTR bearings etc... Probably the Simplest way to do it.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 AM
SuperBike

Thanks Lazn. It's just sitting here for now. I've started reading the threads too see what will and won't fit.

So your suggestion would keep stock steering head bearings.

Hopefully, by using all GSXR stuff up front, i'll avoid the width problems that you experienced.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Guess I should write that up... The advantage to what I ended up doing was that the TL front wheel bolts up to the GSXR forks w/o custom spacers. 4mm spacers are needed for the brake calipers, but otherwise it's a straight bolt-on affair. The GSXR fender bolts up okay, if you put the rear 'ears' in behind the tab on the fork lower instead of in front (then bolt them from the inside). The steering head bit was why I went with the 954 triples and then worked around those, since I knew that was the only 'bolt to the bike' interface and it was a direct swap.

Note to self: do a writeup on the fork swap after you get back from Vegas...
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
It can be done, but if you want to read my adventure into attempting this, and my end result of just going the CBR route you can read it here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17505

Galaxieman managed to do it, but didn't do a write up. I think he ended up just removing the flange that was a problem on mine, and using a TL front wheel rather than a GSXR one. (as a GSXR wheel doesn't space the rotors far enough apart)

Did you ever determine exactly why you had such a difficult time with the GSXR parts? I read most of the old thread, but my eyes started to glaze over after awhile. Got a short and sweet explanation?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Thanks Lazn. It's just sitting here for now. I've started reading the threads too see what will and won't fit.

So your suggestion would keep stock steering head bearings.

Hopefully, by using all GSXR stuff up front, i'll avoid the width problems that you experienced.
The steering head bearings aren't the issue, but rather the length of the steering stem (the part of the triple that goes through the frame).. The GSXR one is way too long for the VTR frame, so you can't use the GSXR triple tree.

edit: the reason I suggested keeping the VTR steering stem was to deal with the length issue.. Not a bearing issue. The fact that you would keep VTR bearings was consequential. (result, not reason)

Last edited by lazn; 10-11-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by killer5280
Did you ever determine exactly why you had such a difficult time with the GSXR parts? I read most of the old thread, but my eyes started to glaze over after awhile. Got a short and sweet explanation?
Sure, short and sweet:

The easiest 50mm triple to use with a VTR is from a CBR 929/954.

A 954 triple is made such that it holds the forks at the wheels about 8mm further apart than the GSXR triple is designed to.

A GSXR axle auto centers the wheels with a flange on the axle nut, but because the 954 triple is wider you end up with both wheel centering issues, and rotor spacing issues.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 AM
MotoGP

OK that answers my original question. I was almost led to the dark side when I came across a complete GSXR front end for cheap. I dont wanna sighn up for extra headaches since I am already rebuildiing an sv into a street & race bike right now. Maybe a furture project
Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Checking this diagram, it seem to be quite easy to machine and tap the stem to size.
I still have no clue about the rest of the setup, but by taping the threads further down the stem and cuting the excess, maybe it does not even require machining.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
MotoGP

So to anyone who has actually succeeded at this. If I come across a fork, brake, triple setup for $450 do I jump on it or keep looking. I saw the gsxr for 300 but thats when I sarted this thread
Old 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

Smokin, that's where I am right now. I bought the whole GSXR front. That's why this site is the best. Lots of input, and most of it is good.

Gboezio, that is an option, and I do have access to some machinists, with the appropriate tools. That would bring me back to changing one steering head bearing.

Obviously, the Honda fronts are easier to swap, but this was cheaper. If it doesn't look like it will work, I'll be looking for the Honda pieces, and the whole thing might be off until next year.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in the same boat. I got an 01 gixxer 750 front and was waiting for a deal to come along to get the cbr triples and the TL front wheel. but if I could use the gixxer triple, I could get a gixxer wheel which is much easier and cheaper to find. if this steering stem mod works, let me know.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
MotoGP

Also, Erik if you are just in the planning stages... Consider measuring the rake/trail that the GSXR parts will give you... It's not certain that they are the same as the stock VTR part and/or the CBR parts... Just so you don't get any nasty surprises once you have time and money invested...

Also it should be easy to measure the VTR stem vs the GSXR and see if it's feasible to swap it into the triples...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
SuperBike

I've already got a little invested. Luckily, I got it cheap from a friend. If I have to sell, I should be able to recoup it all.

I'll be measuring the stems soon, and talking with my buddies about threading the stem in a different spot, and cutting off the excess.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM
MotoGP

Hey eric, how do you like the daugherty shock? Also, back to the orig question, do I blow 300 on the gixer fork or spend another 100ish & get the cbr parts?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
do I blow 300 on the gixer fork or spend another 100ish & get the cbr parts?
That is entirely up to you.. The GSXR parts will take more work to get working. The CBR parts are simple swap..
Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 AM
SuperBike

Hey eric, how do you like the daugherty shock?
Fixed it. My DMr shock will be here in a couple/few weeks. It's paid for, there are a couple in front of me.

I'm trying to figure out myself if I should have just gone with CBR, or if I should continue forward with the GSXR front.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 AM
SuperSport

if I had known the gixxer triple would be useless to me, I would have held out for a cbr front. as it is, I'll still need to buy the cbr triple and the tl front wheel. from what I've seen, you can't get the wheel for less than $150, and the cbr triples on ebay are rediculously expensive. like $250 for just the bottom triple and stem, then another $150 for the top. sometimes, I want to hunt these sellers down and make them eat a haynes manual infront of me.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by swordfish
if I had known the gixxer triple would be useless to me, I would have held out for a cbr front. as it is, I'll still need to buy the cbr triple and the tl front wheel. from what I've seen, you can't get the wheel for less than $150, and the cbr triples on ebay are rediculously expensive. like $250 for just the bottom triple and stem, then another $150 for the top. sometimes, I want to hunt these sellers down and make them eat a haynes manual infront of me.
Shouldn't be that much.. here is a complete triple for $99 "buy it now":
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

You could try shortening the GSXR stem.. if the stem is the same diameter over the bottom bit, I'd to it by shortening that end rather than re-threading the top. I don't know what all issues you would run into, but it seems doable (logically). I'd see if there is a machine shop locally that will do that for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey eric, how do you like the daugherty shock? Also, back to the orig question, do I blow 300 on the gixer fork or spend another 100ish & get the cbr parts?
Honestly.. the 100 bucks to eliminate a bunch of minor headaches should be considered money well spent.... but that's just my opinion. I did all RC51 stuff with a 954 CBR lower triple... and it's a pretty straightforward swap, plus I know exactley what will / won't fit for all the little BS parts (spaers/bolts/nuts/washers/etc) without any questions.

J.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I'm running a 2001 GSXR-750 set of forks on my bike with CBR954 triples. Keep in mind that these forks are Showas and nearly identical to the CBR929 and 954 forks. The GSXR-1000 forks are KYB's and are not nearly as good.

There was a guy who tried a 1000 front end and I don't think he ever made it work. Go with the Showas and your life will be much easier!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
MotoGP

According to this chart the K4 600's uses Showa's and they are also using spacers without collars... So the chances are good you can get them centered up with the CBR triples...
Attached Thumbnails Front end swap from GSXR?-fork-conversion-details.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
SuperBike

Tweety,

So I need to get measurements from both.

Who is willing to measure CL to CL on their CBR triples, so that I can compare the GSXR.

Erik
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
MotoGP

929/954/RC-51 triples are 214 mm CC...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by lazn
Shouldn't be that much.. here is a complete triple for $99 "buy it now":
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

You could try shortening the GSXR stem.. if the stem is the same diameter over the bottom bit, I'd to it by shortening that end rather than re-threading the top. I don't know what all issues you would run into, but it seems doable (logically). I'd see if there is a machine shop locally that will do that for you.
dammit! auction ended this morning. well the last time I looked, there were no deals like that. money's kinda tight right now so its probably a good thing I didn't check that auction earlier, but over this winter I'm gonna try to wrap this project up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end swap from GSXR?