Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Squid

jswisc is on a distinguished road
Too good to be true?

So back in June I started to notice that my 05' SH, which always started cold at the touch of the starter with the choke out, began to need more and more time spinning over. By early October I needed to hit the starter for 3 to 4 seconds, stop, and then a couple more and it would finally start. Once started it ran like a clock. I read lots of "hard starting threads" on this and other sites dealing with SH's. Then I ran across a guy who seemed to have the same issues I was going through. Before he dove into the carbs he tried pouring some Seafoam into the tank. He said the problem cleared right up. Yeah, right! But I decided it couldn't hurt. So I poured the recommened amount into a tank of gas. Started the bike having the usual issues. Went for a ride, bike ran great. Put her away. Next day I tried to start it cold and I swear it never started so fast. That was a couple of weeks ago. Now, with 7 or 8 cold starts, she fired up every time. Now I'm as skepical as the next guy but boy, it sure seemed to work. This problem progressively became worse over months and cleared up immediately. I've had lots of friends swear by this stuff and I always blew them off. Now I'm a bit of a believer!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
pilot jets become plugged partially or more with deposits from modern fuels. Sea-foam does seem to somewhat clear them away. But I've noticed it really does not work on a fully plugged jet, and sometimes does not dissolve the deposits when a jet is dropped into a cup of seafoam.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Squid

jswisc is on a distinguished road
Any downside? I only use non-ethenol premium and plan on putting in some Seafoam every other tank.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
the down side is science. if its cleaning all the crud out of your carbs and jets, its also cleaning all the crud out of the inside of your gas tank which in turn in being sucked into your carbs. its a temporary solution to a problem that will only be solved with a good carb clean. although im of the mindset that if it isnt broken dont fix it. so if its running good then just ride it. i wouldnt over use that stuff though for the reasons i stated
Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 AM
Squid

Evil_Twin is on a distinguished road
I had someone tell me that I'd need to change the oil after I did that since the sea foam makes the engine run a bit hot. any merit to that?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Squid

BigRed is on a distinguished road
I've had no issues running it, though I use it in car engines.
I've found it works not simply by dissolving deposits (soaking a component) but movement of the fuel/cleaner mix through the fouled component is what cleans the gunk out. Seems to work best on varnish and carbon deposits, so if your tank has varnish then I'd be careful not to run too much, or use a fuel filter until the tank is clean.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
I put seafoam in every oil change. Never had an issue.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Seafoam does a good job cleaning out partially clogged jets, but like has been said if you have a major plug (like my poor ST has from sitting for 3 months ) seafoam isn't going to help it much. It doesn't hurt to try it however. Its no replacement for a good carb clean, but I've gotten through the end of a season riding after a quick seafoam fix so I can tear into the carbs through the winter months when I cant ride and need to do something moto related so as not to go stir crazy
Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I've used Seafoam many times and it works on small varnish issues and light carbon deposits.

And there is a plastic & brass mesh filter inside our Superhawk tanks.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 10-30-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:31 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
My '03 petcock is mounted on the rear of the tank, about center
Old 10-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I think its the ones outside North America that got a bigger fuel tank requiring petcock relocation to the frame.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Okay, I'll fix my post