Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Oil Filter Cross referencing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Squid

bikerpipes is on a distinguished road
where can I buy the Super tec now that wal mart don't carry them.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
SuperTech is a Wal-Mart house brand. They no longer carry the filters, so I would have to assume extinction.

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I've been running that filter for a long time with no issues.... I also don't run the chin fairing so it fits just fine on my bike....
Yea, I believe YOUR filter is the L14610 which is even longer (3.52 in). I used one that length before and had to go without the lower cowl too!

As it happened, I was able to bolt up the lower cowl without any cutting. It is a very tight fit and the filter pushes out on the plastic a little, but it does go together. Do you think there is any risk of damaging the filter due to vibration? I am inclined to think it will be fine.

Last edited by BeerHunter; 05-20-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BeerHunter
SuperTech is a Wal-Mart house brand. They no longer carry the filters, so I would have to assume extinction.

Yea, I believe YOUR filter is the L14610 which is even longer (3.52 in). I used one that length before and had to go without the lower cowl too!

As it happened, I was able to bolt up the lower cowl without any cutting. It is a very tight fit and the filter pushes out on the plastic a little, but it does go together. Do you think there is any risk of damaging the filter due to vibration? I am inclined to think it will be fine.
I do believe your are right on the filter I have on there.... but I haven't run that lower cowling for around 10 years or more now, so the extra length really isn't an issue for me.... or my bike has a long one.....
Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
**** it, next oil change I am gonna shop around for a 4" filter. Mine's GOTTA be longer!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Bump for this thread. I forgot about it and got raped $16 at the stealer for the oem filter.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Nice! Was just out shopping for a filter and this is great timing!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
I cannot resist an oil thread! I am new to the VTR so this discussion is of great interest to me. I was riding a '77 BMW R100S. An air cooled engine with oil cooler. The oil used was very specific to that engine. It had to be an SG rated oil. The formulations have changed over the years and will destroy some of the brass thrust bearings and shims. Very bad for the engine. My VTR will get synth oil and it's good to know anout the energy saving oils. Since this is a liquid cooled engine, I would expect that a 20W-50 or 10W-40 would be fine. I am religious about oil changes, every 3k and filters at the same time. With the VTR I plan to change every 4k and looking for the best filter for the money. It's the cheapest way to make the bike run a long time, it's money well spent so filters are worth it. The PO ran honda synth but I see no reason for that. I want an oil that I can depend on that I can get anywhere. Mobil 1 or Shell seems a good choice. One last thing, bikes and cars have different needs and oil filters made for motorcycles is what I choose. Many things can be swapped out between cars and motorcycles but filters, no. Just my humble opinion. Like I said, I'm new to the VTR but have been riding bikes since I was a tyke.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Automotive oils, whether synthetic or non synthetic, are NOT designed to be run in motorcycle engines. They do not have the same polymers to keep the gears in the transmission from beating them into submission within a few hundred miles. THAT is why there are motorcycle specific oils. They are designed to take the punishment that the gearbox will put it through. PERIOD.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Aquasnake
Automotive oils, whether synthetic or non synthetic, are NOT designed to be run in motorcycle engines. They do not have the same polymers to keep the gears in the transmission from beating them into submission within a few hundred miles. THAT is why there are motorcycle specific oils. They are designed to take the punishment that the gearbox will put it through. PERIOD.
Welcome.
As I put my face in my hands, it's another oil thread!
Please do some research about oils or a link to the info that supports your opinion.
Not being an ***, just saying.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

All oils are the same.

I dont believe that but this is an oil thread and I refuse to not goof on it.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by xeris
Welcome.
As I put my face in my hands, it's another oil thread!
Please do some research about oils or a link to the info that supports your opinion.
Not being an ***, just saying.
40+ years as an enthusiast, 30+ years in the motorcycle industry, numerous seminars & discussions with oil engineers. I figure they should know best. I also have some experience in racing going back to the 60's, when I was a wee lad. Having been in on numerous dyno sessions, trying different oils as well as various other components, if you are not using a motorcycle specific oil, you are leaving horsepower and reliability behind. Hell, the marked improvement in the way the bike shifts should be enough to prove the point.
Believe me or not, I personally don't give a rats ***, it's your bike (mis)treat it how you wish, after all, it's your repair bill, not mine.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
All oils are the same.

I dont believe that but this is an oil thread and I refuse to not goof on it.
Oh contrare, all oils are not the same. They actually can start off from various different base stocks. There are shale sourced oils and crude stock sourced oils as well as synthetic based oils which can come from either of the previous mentioned sources or from living bio sources. Any of these have varying different properties and need to be distilled and refined in somewhat different ways.
If all oils are the same, try running 3-in-1 oil in your bike and see how far it gets.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Well smokinjoe73, you've really done it now!

Anecdotal evidence doesn't work for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM
MotoGP

Yeah xeris, the just put it into different container.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
It's a slippery subject. So the idea is to filter out the goofiest ideas, then everything will mesh without abrupt issues.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
40+ years as an enthusiast, 30+ years in the motorcycle industry, numerous seminars & discussions with oil engineers. I figure they should know best.
Opinion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also have some experience in racing going back to the 60's, when I was a wee lad. Having been in on numerous dyno sessions, trying different oils as well as various other components
Anecdote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if you are not using a motorcycle specific oil, you are leaving horsepower and reliability behind.
Opinion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hell, the marked improvement in the way the bike shifts should be enough to prove the point.
Anecdote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Believe me or not, I personally don't give a rats ***, it's your bike (mis)treat it how you wish, after all, it's your repair bill, not mine.
Cool Story, Bro | Know Your Meme
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Oil Filter Cross referencing...-jesus_facepalm.jpg

Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
You sir are absolutely correct. Motorcycle oils are designed to work with the wet clutch and more so the transmission. Car engines don't have any such stresses that oils need to go through and the sheer point in the motorcycle oils are improved for being ground up in the gears.

Also back to the initial topic oil filters aren't all created the same even if they have the same dimensions and thread size. As stated Fram filters are JUNK! I generally run factory Honda filters or the K&N's that my buddy carries at his shop. Filter media can be vastly different in filtering ability and flow, either of which can adversely affect your engine.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Squid

Shaken is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
I can't believe no one really jumped on this thread especially since it's in the middle of PMS for lots of folks! What a great fourm.

On the VFR forum, there is a research engineer who lives right up the road from me (in Texas terms) who eats and sleeps engine oil properties. He runs dyno's 24/7 for a research instititue and analyzes chemical breakdown specimens of all kinds of oils.

I'll save you TONS of reading from that site: mobil one gold cap (used to be a red cap) 15w/50 synthetic. Their m/c specific oils do return better analysis but not enough to justify the much higher cost. He's **** enough to run the V-twin formula tho'. He also says a very good and much cheaper alternative is shell rotella synthetic (about $12 a jug at wallyworld). Don't use energy conserving (EC) oils. Change frequently. That's it.

Another story that "sold" me on mobil one years ago. I personally know a former owner of a top level open wheel auto (not formula 1) US race team who's main sponsor was an oil company. Late at night, they would poor mobil one (zero weight!) into the company's yellow (hint, hint) empties to use in public!

Absolutely ressurecting this thread from the dead, but I just wanted to say how delighted I am at the switch to 15w-50 mobil 1 with the high zinc. I couldn't find the 'gold cap' stuff at walmart so I bought the regular stuff. I can even BELIEVE how different shifting feels. Solid yet smooth. What a difference, all due to oil weight. Also started using a bosch 3300. Top notch stuff.