Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

WTF just happened.....PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NakedOne
What else could this be, im going F'ing crazy here!!!

This could be a perfect example of why some people should have any work done on their machine by a Professional.

You had an obvious "hot" wire short to ground and you can't identify the circuit (you haven't mentioned tracing the circuit with a Service Manual wiring diagram), your charging system output seems marginal, at best (indicating other issues), and you're freakin' out about dashboard light bulbs.

Just sayin'.

Rex
Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
PS red wires are usually "hot"
Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Squid

NakedOne is on a distinguished road
First off the all work doesn't have to be done by a professional, that's like saying that I cant mow my own lawn so I will hire Green Thumb!!! I didn't know that the wire had a cut in it until it created a spark. The wire that I'm referring to is the red one with the black tracer. As reading more and more it seems that the charging system on our bikes is marginal at best as it is so it doesn't seem odd that my charging scenerio is any different then most that have a stock R/R.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually I have to agree with one of the points bjorn makes, and I really hope you take that part of this as a learning experience... There are two scenarios that should have played out here...

One... A soon as there was an electrical problem, you decided it wasn't something you could fix and took it to a mechanic...

Two... As soon as there was an electrical problem, you took out the wiring diagram and found out what the wire does and where to go from there...

Since it seems rather evident that you did neither, you really doesn't qualify as a good mechanic the way I see things... But there is still time to learn, so I'm not judging...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-26-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Back to solving the problem... Have you checked the main fuse or not? Is the bike running now? If so the charging circuit isn't part of that problem, leave that for later...

If it was the red/black wire, it has two potential ends once cut... One from the fuse box, which at that point isn't hot, and one from the ignition switch which is hot... So again it ties back to the main fuse...

If the wire was cut clean through the only things affected are tied to the main fuse, ie R/R, battery and starter relay... Of those the only thing likely to break is the fuse and the R/R (battery doesn't die from this, but it's not getting better from it either)...

If the wire was not cut clean through, just stripped, then you can more or less assume the whole of the bikes electrics took the hit unless you found broken fuses... Again you didn't come back with an answer there...

At this point I'm done helping until you start answering the questions given... There is no point suggesting new stuff unless I know the result of these first...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NakedOne
The wire that I'm referring to is the red one with the black tracer.

So, when you checked the wiring diagram in your Service Manual, and noted the routing of the Red/Black wire, what did you learn?

Rex