Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

worry or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
worry or not?

I was at my trackday on sat, and I noticed some streaks of antifreeze on my engine case inbetween sessions. I discovered that it was coming from the overflow hole (which I guess is supposed to have a hose attached to it, but mine doesn't) its definitely the overflow hose. I checked against my haynes manual. anyway, it was just leaking a few streaks nothing serious. my mechanic who happened to be riding at that trackday too, didn't seem too worried. he said he's seen lots of bikes leak a little when they are run to the max, and build up alot of pressure. but when I checked the haynes manual, it said that it only leaks out that hole when one of your coolant pump seals is leaking, and it comes out that hole instead of mixing with your oil. so I'm back to street riding now, and the opinion from the shop is still to ride it and see if it keeps leaking. have you guys ever come across this before? I was going to do an oil change soon anyway, so I'll know for sure then, but I have a suspision that its been doing this for years, and I just didn't know enough to know what it was. I guess what I really need to know is, does this leakage definitely mean that there is an internal problem? or is it a common thing to happen when you push the motor to the max? I've only ridden it about 10 miles since the trackday. when riding at street pace, it leaked like 2 drops(which the shop said could be leftover from the trackday) or not at all. either way, we are talking drops here. and when its idling, it doesn't leak at all. I don't know what to think.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Search is your friend. Some weeping from the coolant overflow hole is okay.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
ok sorry, I'd just never heard anybody mention it before. I'l check