Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Won't start??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Squid

Gorwin64 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Won't start??

So I just got my integrated taillight in the mail. It's got turn signals, and a license plate light on the bottom(for $64 shipped). It only connected to 1 of the 2 taillight connectors, and 1 connection for each blinker( I guess you don't need 3 grounds for one system). So right now I have all these open wires under the seat.

I had the bike electrics on (engine not running) while I cut off the rear fender(somehow no one in my frat house has a flash light so I used the original license plate mount as a flashlight). It took about 15 minutes, but I got the fender off and I shutoff the bike. I come back 5 minutes later to start it up and I hear it turning over, all the electrics work, but its not firing up.

Do I have to do anything with all these extra wires???? or why else wouldn't it suddenly not start?
Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
wow

wait until morning when you've got some some light to do a nice thorough job of finding which fuse you popped...

and then redo your hack job and triple check your wiring...

no beer, either...

Last edited by LineArrayNut; 07-05-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:57 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Could be you just sucked the battery dry in those 15 minutes. You were only using the license plate light, but I bet the headlight was on the whole time.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:30 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Did you cut more than the fender?

Are you new to the bike?
If so, ... ... check the engine switch on the handle bar.
Every now and then Even I forget to turn it on , lol.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Squid

Engine switch is live,

There were no electronics near what I cut, everything seems to be fine, taillight headlight signals all work. The blinkers are faster now, I guess the light didn't come with resistors.... I noticed the taillight was blinking when I was trying to start it. Besides that, it seems to have plenty of juice to start er up, doesn't seem dull.

I'm still fairly new to the bike, so how would I go about checking if I blew a fuse??
Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gorwin64
Engine switch is live,

There were no electronics near what I cut, everything seems to be fine, taillight headlight signals all work. The blinkers are faster now, I guess the light didn't come with resistors.... I noticed the taillight was blinking when I was trying to start it. Besides that, it seems to have plenty of juice to start er up, doesn't seem dull.

I'm still fairly new to the bike, so how would I go about checking if I blew a fuse??
take off the seat. in the middle there is a tiny black box sitting between about where your nuts ride under the seat. open the box top. it is labled inside the cap as to which fuse is which. There is one other fuse not in the box that is a 30 amp fuse and i think the way it was said to find that was to trace your positive battery cable to where it hits the starter and there is the last fuse.

Again wait till it is light outside so you can see. can you reconnect your old tail and see if it starts putting it back to stock?

But the most likely problem is a fuse. wait.. i hate to be a dick,, but you are drunk at the frat house right and new to the bike? really stupid question but.. by chance in your haste did maybe you not turn off the engine kill switch next to the throttle?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

lol Cb i just seen you suggested the kill switch too. i got 5 bucks on the kill switch.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
He says the tail light blinks when cranking ...
That sounds red flag to me.
The next question would involve the blinking rate of the tail light.
Does it flicker at the same rate as the engine starter, varying along with the starters RPM?
Or does it blink a steady rate like a turn signal?
Who is the manufacturer of the light cluster?

Like 5150 suggested, when you are stumped, reverse the installation and see if ignition module starts firing again.
One thing I would try 1st is to connect your old taillight to the open plug and test.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

i still think he cut into the kill switch some how.. lol 5 more bucks says one of the frat guys knows alot about bikes and pulled a prank on him. took apart the switch and disconnected it or something funny. One time i had a couple frat people working for me. out on a delivery this one frat kid leaves his car running. when he rings the door bell to the customers house he hears his car screetch away. lol. he calls the cops and waits. cops come out and take a report and leave. i tell him i will pick him up at the customers house. while he is waiting inside he looks outside to see if i am there yet and sees his car on the street running door open keys in it. lol turns out his frat brothers are following him around that night because he was known to leave the keys in it. so they thought it would be funny to ****** it. hahaha i was really pissed that night. messed up all my delivery's for a hour plus. but looking back it is funny as hell. they were always doing something crazy like that.

so again plug it all in and make it stock again. if that fails check for the funny guy in the house that knows something about mechanical stuff.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Squid

The taillight blinks along with everything else (headlight etc.) I just noticed that when I first hit the starter I hear a click coming from the tail like the sound the blinkers would make, and then it just flashes. As for the manufacturer, I honestly couldn't tell you. It came in a unmarked box, heres the link to the product.

http://store.racer-union.com/Motorcy...-p4660127.html

In the morning i'll plugin the old taillight and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
He says the tail light blinks when cranking ...
That sounds red flag to me.
The next question would involve the blinking rate of the tail light.
Does it flicker at the same rate as the engine starter, varying along with the starters RPM?
Or does it blink a steady rate like a turn signal?
Who is the manufacturer of the light cluster?

Like 5150 suggested, when you are stumped, reverse the installation and see if ignition module starts firing again.
One thing I would try 1st is to connect your old taillight to the open plug and test.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

The taillight blinks along with everything else (headlight etc.) I just noticed that when I first hit the starter I hear a click coming from the tail like the sound the blinkers would make, and then it just flashes. As for the manufacturer, I honestly couldn't tell you. It came in a unmarked box, heres the link to the product.

http://store.racer-union.com/Motorcy...-p4660127.html

something is plugged in wrong. this is the directions for the tail light from the manufacture.

1997-2005 HONDA VTR 1000 LED TAIL LIGHT 1998 1999 2000

[ click for larger image ]

Item #: X3_MTL-YJ-HVTR01-C
Condition: New

Compare At: $82.00
Regular Price: $59.00
Sale Price: $45.00 Quantity:

FITMENT:97-05 Honda VTR1000COLOR:ClearSTYLE:L.E.D Tail light (build-in integrated turn signals)

Details

Specs

Search More Info

Reviews

This is a set of LED tail light. All wiring for the tail light was preassembled for essential plug & play application. The turn signals are built-in integrated, so you can remove your rear turn signal lights. These lights are made by an OE approved and ISO certified manufacturer with the quality meet or exceed all OE standards. This tail light come with bright LED for parking lights (red), brake lights (red), turn signal lights (amber) and license plate light (hyper white). No installation guide included, professional installation is highly recommended.

note the last line? No installation guide included, professional installation is highly recommended.

also CB was asking if the lights pulsed or are they just doing you know normal blinker rate type stuff.. and you replied the head light is flashing too? do you mean from low to high? it is pulsing with the crank over speed? give a little more detail of exactly what it is doing now.

In the morning i'll plugin the old taillight and see what happens.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

also call the manufacture. they i am sure ave seen this issue a dozen times and can make a super fast suggestion as to what went wrong.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Dead battery. I killed mine doing the Hacknslash tail light mod. I just couldn't stop marveling at it......You need a jump.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Could be a fuse, but the circuit is powered, the ignition converter and wires are just ahead of the taillight, that would be easy to cut the 6 wires pigtail without noticing. The blinking is quite normal under starting, the LEDS may just shut off from the voltage drop and you got paranoid and noticed the starter relay clicking

Last edited by gboezio; 07-06-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Squid

Ok so this morning I went down old taillight in hand, ready to swap and see. I decided to try one last time to start her up, and 1 crank, the engine turned over and died. So I played with the choke, and it worked. Took her for a ride, no problems, everything is working as it should.

Thanks.

oh and last night I was sober, and I know about kill switches.....
Old 07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Ok so this morning I went down old taillight in hand, ready to swap and see. I decided to try one last time to start her up, and 1 crank, the engine turned over and died. So I played with the choke, and it worked. Took her for a ride, no problems, everything is working as it should.

Thanks.

oh and last night I was sober, and I know about kill switches.....
hahahah welcome to the forums. glad it all worked out.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Squid
Squid

thumper61713 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
Did you cut more than the fender?

Are you new to the bike?
If so, ... ... check the engine switch on the handle bar.
Every now and then Even I forget to turn it on , lol.

HAHA I did this the other day and when I figured it out, I tried starting it again and it backfired so loud my neighbor came out of his apartment all mad thinking someone was firing a gun... my ears are still ringing