Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Winter Works Projects

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Winter Works Projects

What are people doing to their VTR's this winter??
Buffed pipes, new plugs
cleaned calipers,Install APE CCT's
removed PAIR, Painted lower fairing
shimmed needles in carbs, changed oil and filter
bafflectomy, Install Nitrous and Turbo
cleaned and lubed, Kidding
all electrical connectors, changed brake fluids
new air filter, lubed cables
touched up paint scratches
set forks

Pretty boring stuff..what have you done
Dave
Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
carbs retuned, new tires, APE cct install, PAIR removal, I think that's it.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure where I'm going to end up but currently in the mix is:

GSXR front calipers
EBC Front rotors
HH Front Pads
Front Forks with Eibach Springs, GSXR valves - Nemish Engineering - Arrived today - Thanks Greg!
Jardine Hi-Mount RT1's in Polished Aluminum
Penske Rear Shock
15T Front Sprocket
Puig Double Bubble
JetHot Extreme Chrome Ceramic Coated Stock Honda Header
Oury Grips & Stainless Bar Ends
Rear Lighting Scheme with LED Flushmounts and Relocated Stock Signals
Blue LED Bullet License Light
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I can't do much more to mine but...

I've gotta reroute my Scottoiler line since going to the single sided exhaust.
I have one slightly warped front rotor that will require replacement. I already have one wave rotor ($10 on ebay - woohoo!) and need to get the other.
Rejet carbs for the single exhaust.
Already revalved my forks and installed new seals and my Fox TC was freshened up.
I may actually (pun intended) can the whole single sided exhaust project if I end up losing too much power and go with some high mount Devils. Need to get it dyno'd.

That's about it.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My baby is in hibernation at the dealer's (heated storage) but in early Spring I will be re-packing my Microns (possibly getting them powder coated black too), adjusting the shifting mechanism (shorter throw mod posted recently), and having my new Hyperpro spring (purple...oooooooooooh!!!) installed on the rear shock. I may also get the shock and forks freshened up (new oil,...). I will get my dealer to drain the coolant (2 years old now anyhow so it's due) and have them replace it with Engine Ice/Water Wetter combo (have a phobia of sorts about the bike's ability to cool itself) Wish I had funds to do more but then again, the list of mods is already fairly long...

cheers
Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Thinking of changing out my CCt's (50,000km, no idea if they have been done) but I don't feel confident enough to do it myself. I need to take the D&D's apart because of an exhaust leak at one of the fittings. I am also still considering wrapping the header, or at least coating it.

I am also thinking of polishing the rim lips up (depends how difficult this is - need to research it a little more) and painting the rad covers in a colour match gold to the calipers. Mostly just little tinkering stuff i guess, but I need to keep the motivation fro spring alive.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Squid

mak595 is on a distinguished road
Well....my storm's in the middle of a bit of a rebuild

revalved blade forks in spondon offset yokes, T595 clip-ons, R1 mudguard, ohlins steering damper, penske shock, black frame, swing arm, rads etc etc. undertray, sharkskin lower, clear tailight. Body work is getting sprayed up in black by a mate..( spotted the theme yet ) Engine wise just a Dynojet kit, K & N, high level Ti. cans and a set up by Roger at Revolution Racing uk.

Just need it finished for the TT

Name:  Firestormrebuild002.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  Firestormrebuild001.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  87.5 KB
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Back Marker

Alan is on a distinguished road
Mak595 hoping to go to TT myself this year as its the big Century should be good.

As for winter projects ive just gone through 18 months of projects so i will be searching for a vfr750 8 spoke wheel to fit also jet kit, 929/sp1 carbon fibre front fender,929/sp1 master cylinder/rc45 throttle tube,oil filter/oil/plug change ready for summer to tear up some Yorkshire tarmac!!!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Finishing up my project with the RC51 front end conversion. To that I'm adding a 900rr brace to the stock swingarm and powdercoating my rc51 front and 900rr rear wheels, along with lot's of other stuff I've already done (read spent money on). Once I choose clips ons, I have several, I'd also like to get some braided lines. Can't wait to finish it and show her off a little. At the same time I'm also giving an old CB350 a new lease on life...or trying anyway.

I have to hand it to the folks from England and Australia. I've seen some REALLY cool looking Firestorms from across the ponds. That looks like it's going to be REAL sharp Mak595!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

Captain I have a set of Vortex clipons that I'm not going to use. I got them in good condition, cleaned them up only to find out they are the same geometry as the stockers.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

Winter Works...

Talk about hi-jack a thread!!!
I'm changing spark plugs and putting in a new air filter, and some guys mounting an RC 51 what ever and some other guys got a single sided titantium swing arm...Kidding.. I find this really interesting to see the level of craftsmanship and know how in the motorcycle crowd...great stuff.. that black framed bike..really classy..I find it all inspiring..Last night we were minus 30...3 people died in the cold..horrible storm..This forum get's me through the cold grey nights....so glad I ended up with a Firestorm/Superhawk..

Keep building guys
Dave
Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

By the time it gets to Texas, Dave, it's going to take us down to the mid to high twenties. It's 63 right now. I'm going out to buy K1 tomorrow in the rain just to make sure I can keep going in the shop while all this is going on outdoors. I rode a couple hours today and I felt like it was a national holiday! We've had really crappie weather or my schedule has been bad on the few good days we've had since the first of the year. It felt great to be out again. It's tough for you guys in the north to be patient and I know how it feels. I lived in ManySnowdalot for thirty winters.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Squid

windaddiction is on a distinguished road
Um gixxer 750 front end swap using 929 triples, corbin seat, Bar risers, street fightered, oil change, pazzos, maybe paint ( does Rhino lining count 8) )
Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

You're right Dave...I live in South Florida (although I'm from Jersey so I DO have SOME idea of what winter is) and we've been bitching all "winter" how we haven't had any "cool" (under 80) days. I think actually we've had like three that dipped under 70-BRRRRRRR!!!! for part of the day anyway. So I guess I shouldn't even be able to go near anything labelled "winter projects" You would get a kick out of all pussies who've been living here awhile who dress like they're at the North Pole when it's 50 or 60 outside LOL! Wool hats, jackets, etc. I remember when 40 in Jersey when I was a kid felt like summertime after a long winter.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Captain I have a set of Vortex clipons that I'm not going to use. I got them in good condition, cleaned them up only to find out they are the same geometry as the stockers.
The RC51's I have now look good but also got some 954's-they have a nice rise to them so I want to try them also.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

OK - CC I thought you were looking for some. You HAVE had better weather than we have here in Austin although we're about the same distance south. But you probably get more rain than we do.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
Is it winter I couldn't tell here in NC. Havent stoped ridin long enough for any mods.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Well i am hoping to put my APE CCT in some time this winter if i can get enought non-riding time to do it. As long as it is above 40 degress i am riding her.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Back Marker

Switch??

Hey there Handyman...You are probably really missing the opportunity to work on a VTR..so...You can come to exotic Canada, work in my nice heated shop on mine..in fact you can bring some nice "bling" to put on it and I will go to N.C. and ride yours ..so the gas doesn't get stale..What say??
Actually I'm waiting on some bits I've ordered...I would like to start putting mine back together...Let's see you yanks..well some of you have cheap bikes, lots of aftermarket and long riding season....ah well.. Duhamel is ours

Take Care ..ride safe
Dave
Old 01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
Well, here's my two cents.
New EBC pads, oil/ filters, undertail/ hugger, iriduim flushmounts, 520 conversion kit, anodized bar ends and levers, and a wild paint scheme I'm spraying on it with my brother-in-law......WHEN I park it, still riding here in Southeastern Ohio....heated suit and grips are my friends...I ride until the roads ice, then it'll be put up for a month or so to get this all done. I usually put 30,000+ a year on my bikes, so don't like to have them down long
Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Well we don't have much of a winter where I am either, so I tend to do things as I feel like it. Summer or winter. My project has been going for almost 3 years now, and is just about finished.

I will have to post up some pics soon, I am picking up the fairing and sub-frame tomorrow and that is it for the moment. Maybe some aftermarket wheels, but the rest is done, so it will be assembled in a few weeks.

I have been on this forum for a while now, even though I only get on here once a week. Problem is I have stuff all idea on how to add attachments and so on. So I will need to figure this stuff out to be able to show you some pics. Then I will give the run down on mods. Nothing drastic, it is mainly small detail on standard components.

I can't even add a smilie, let alone a jumping banana! I will start another thread to seek some help when the time comes.

The banana is cool.........
Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Shayne,

PM me when you need help and I'll walk you through posting pics and advanced editing (smilies and such).
Old 01-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Most of you guys are way too ambitious!!

LOL

My winter projects include a tune-up (sync carbs/adjust valves if req'd), re & re all fluids (rad, hydraulic), and, OH YEAH!! install my 'new to you' Ohlins shock.

I've already done most of the common mods.....APE CCT's, SS hydraulic lines, Secdem HP windscreen, Helibars, Sargent, NWS hugger, Tailocker, V&H S4 slipons, Factory Stage 1 jetting, Barend mirrors, RT .8kg springs. And the most important mod of all....lots and lots of miles (120,000km).

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR
Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
How do you like your bar-end mirrors? I was considering installing a pair myself. Also, did you do anything to cover up the older mirror mount holes?

cheers
Old 01-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Squid

mak595 is on a distinguished road
Sorry

Originally Posted by Alan
Mak595 hoping to go to TT myself this year as its the big Century should be good.

As for winter projects ive just gone through 18 months of projects so i will be searching for a vfr750 8 spoke wheel to fit also jet kit, 929/sp1 carbon fibre front fender,929/sp1 master cylinder/rc45 throttle tube,oil filter/oil/plug change ready for summer to tear up some Yorkshire tarmac!!!!!
Hope you've got the ferry booked, going to be a busy one!!
Might see you at Hawes sometime, always seem to end up at the cafe

Hmmm....VFR swing arm
Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Mikstr

I like the Napoleon Barend mirrors a lot. But they are not a simple bolt-on. I had to use an old set of barend weights as a spacer so that the mirrors would clear the fairing. I had to grind the outside of the weights flat to get a surface to butt the mirrors against. Then I bought an appropriate sized bolt to feed thru the mirror mount hole and the weight and into the nut inside the clipons.

To hide the OEM mirror mount holes in the fairing I made a couple of small metal plates, painted them to match the fairing and then bolted them to the fairing stay.

The barends clean up the look of the front of the bike (IMHO) giving it a lower, wider profile and eliminating the bug antenna look of the OEM mirrors. The rearward view is a vast improvement over the OEM elbow inspectors. There is still a small blindspot (just off the rear of the bike to each side), but a quick shoulder check is all that is req'd to see if the way is clear for a lane change or ???

Cheers!

G
Old 01-12-2007, 05:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Okay, I'm going to hijack the thread too but I know I'm not the only one who wants to see a pic or two of the napoleons. Have any vtrgeoff?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Put together all the old pictures of my Superhawk and make a collage.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:44 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Shayne,

PM me when you need help and I'll walk you through posting pics and advanced editing (smilies and such).
Thanks Greg, will do. Hopfully I will have some pics to post up soon.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
i have a 98 SH and right now its down to the basic frame, motor and wheels...I gotta replace the left fairing and i'm getting a magical racing(if i can get a hold of them), or pyramid(kinda pricey) belly pan. I was plannin on gettin the frame powder coated since i'm custom painting it myself but i dont have the money ...

I'm doin a baffelectomy as well as a bmc air filter, NGK spark plugs, factory pro jet kit, shift kit and +4 ignition advancer... by the way if anyone has a similar setup i would love to get some info on where to start with the jetting...

also doin some tidbits like pegs(rearsets comin later), handle bar ends, clutch and brake levers, and mirrors

pictures comin soon

Quick Reply: Winter Works Projects