Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Wheelie problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned
Squid

datdudeis2die4 is on a distinguished road
Wheelie problems

I have the same problem. I can clutch or trottle it up in first but second is another story. I can only clutch it up about half way up standing up in second. and I wouldn't even try it in third . but my bike is all stock. once i wheelie in first I get to the balance point and then speed shift. but my trottle response is so slow at low rpm's in second it just floats back down . i need some help with tips , tricks , and what gearing should I switch to ?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:38 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
You may check your bike's health first making sure you got all those foot-pounds.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Squid

makeminered is on a distinguished road
Flick it!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Squid

dpenix76 is on a distinguished road
Clutching up in second should be prety easy with stock gearing.You just need to have the tach pegged when you dump the clutch.Not really good for your drivetrain though.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Superstock

Jeepingoose is on a distinguished road
Carbon fiber rims and up two in the back helps me power up in first and just a slight slip in second to get her up no problem. Tried third, got off the ground but only for a sec
Just my humble $.02
Old 07-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
My Hawk I just twist in 1st and she soars up. Like one of the previous writers said, dump the clutch in second, w/ the throttle pegged and she'll shoot up too. Seems to launch less abruptly around 5 or 6 grand. Third and fourth go for my machine over rises and knolls. Another little trick that works is to start accelerating in third, drop it hard into second (dumping the clutch and ripping the throttle) and letting her point to the stars. Even when my machine was stock it would pretty much go up in all these scenarios. I would recommend a few things though: make sure you're ready for wheeliing - my methods are all higher speed front end lifts, make sure your engine is healthy, and try to stay controlled w/ throttke and clutch so you don't rip the drive train apart. Another thing I noticed (and I'd like to here some other opinions..) is that the softer the rear suspension is set, the more gradual wheel lifts you have, but the stiffer the rear suspension is set, she jumps up a little more abruptly. Anyways, there's my 2 and a half cents...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:20 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
talking about wheelie problems. I was leading my buddy on his 2003 r6 and he decided to pull it up. He usually wheelies around 80mph(i ride next to him). Anyway, he tried to tap the front brake to stop the front wheel so it would smoke when he set it down. I got to watch as he slid across the pavement and his bike ran into the ditch and bitched up all the plastic. That was a lot of road rash.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Second gear wheelie should not be a problem at all w/S-hawk at 50-60 mph speed but be careful local law enforcement they usually no lenient if they caught u doing it or your M class license will be provoke because it is design for 2 wheels you ride on two. i done it.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by autoteach
I got to watch as he slid across the pavement and his bike ran into the ditch and bitched up all the plastic. That was a lot of road rash.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
talking about wheelie problems. I was leading my buddy on his 2003 r6 and he decided to pull it up. He usually wheelies around 80mph(i ride next to him). Anyway, he tried to tap the front brake to stop the front wheel so it would smoke when he set it down. I got to watch as he slid across the pavement and his bike ran into the ditch and bitched up all the plastic. That was a lot of road rash.
Sgt Rock.. also.. I guess he found what his limitations were...

How would we know what they were if we didnt exceed them every once in a while?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I guess what I'm saying is.. I'm not laughing at him. Been there. Felt like a "tool", and have since slowed a bit.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I feel that I F'ed something up around the clutch, so it should cool me down a bit, add to that that I almost spitted my testies landing one, should be riding two wheels for a bit.