Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Wheel Bearing Replacement Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Squid

jjansenrs is on a distinguished road

Hey all, i am looking to replace the wheel bearings on my hawk. one of the back ones is shot so figure its a good time to replace all. There are some "All B@lls" kits online for pretty cheap, but are these any good?? Am i better off getting OEM/name brand bearings from motion or my dealer? I got over 50,000 out of the oem set and hope to get that again from the next set.
Edit - Dealer recommended Pivot Works brand, about 85 buck for all

Anyone have experience with these online kits?

Thanks!

Last edited by jjansenrs; 09-14-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jjansenrs
Hey all, i am looking to replace the wheel bearings on my hawk. one of the back ones is shot so figure its a good time to replace all. There are some "All B@lls" kits online for pretty cheap, but are these any good?? Am i better off getting OEM/name brand bearings from motion or my dealer? I got over 50,000 out of the oem set and hope to get that again from the next set.
Edit - Dealer recommended Pivot Works brand, about 85 buck for all

Anyone have experience with these online kits?

Thanks!
The Alls ***** and pivot works are reasonable quality.. the seals are perhaps the only thing I would prefer OEM for.

I know (EDIT: know implies facts, and thats too strong a stance, my personal observation of many dozens of installs leads me to believe they work less well) fork seals from both brands do not work as well as OEM of an SKF, and thus i assume the wheel bearing seals are the same lessor quality.

I tend to use OEM bearings and seals (except for fork seals and those are SKF Green )
But when a few $$ need to be saved I'll use the Alls ***** or Pivot works kits, or those and OEM seals for a compromise.

Don't forget to take a good look at the spacers where they ride against the seals. A slight groove you can catch with a finger nail is pretty normal and not a worry, but much deeper than that and it meas less tension on the seal and more chance water and dirt can get into the bearings.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 09-15-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Squid

jjansenrs is on a distinguished road
Thank you! I found all OEM bearings and seals online for about $120 and went with them.

The left rear wheel bearing was by far the worst of them all, and that happens to be the only bearing without an actual seal, just an o-ring between the rim and cush drive hub.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:27 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Good advice from Erik,

Seals are the most important component as they stop ingress of dirt and other contaminants into bearings.

I have found All ***** to be satisfactory on my bike.

Once again info and experience from Forum Members helps!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Squid

John O is on a distinguished road

OEM bearings come from factories that supply all manufacturers, so your "Honda" bearing may also be found in the parts bins of other brands. One of my rear bearings is a "Yamaha" part from a dealer in Montana where I stopped on a road trip for a new tire.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by John O
OEM bearings come from factories that supply all manufacturers, so your "Honda" bearing may also be found in the parts bins of other brands. One of my rear bearings is a "Yamaha" part from a dealer in Montana where I stopped on a road trip for a new tire.
Correct no Motorcycle Manufacture is "making" bearings ,,, though they do sometimes have a specific bearing made for them, that is not available to the general public.
In example, in 2003 Kawasaki and Suzuki agreed on a co sell of the same bike, made by Suzuki, sold in yellow by Suz, and Green for Kaw..
The DRZ400 and the KLX400
The EXACT same parts other then plastic on both bikes.... you order Kaw part number you get a Suz bagged part with a KAW sticker slapped on over...and the Kaw parts are 15-30% cheaper.
All engine bearings in that motor can be had from bearing suppliers at %50 less then even my commercial rates except ONE..one crank bearing is proprietary.. you can get the same OD and ID and width bearing from major bearing manufacturers but it will not have a formed lip on the outer race as the OEM bearing does..that bearing can only be had though mother Suzuki (unless you wanted to order 10,000 of them, then Im sure you can get them form a bearing supplier)
You can save some money and order wheel bearings of the same quality and clearance as OEM from on line or your local bearing supplier
For the rear wheel.
The one in the cush drive is a 6322
The two in the wheel are 6204UU

front wheel is a PAIR OF 6004UU