Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Whats The Deal With The CCT'S

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Back Marker

Northman69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
It's both opinion and actual observation.

The reality is, unless you did a metallurgic inspection on your old ones, you really have no idea what there condition was, you just know they had not failed yet.. Which is good and a valid observation.

It has been observed and reported many, many times, ACCT's failing causing minor damage to massive engine destruction.

Based on the many reports of ACCT failure, I do not believe we know why some fail in so few miles, a larger amount fail in the 18-20k range, and some make it to 67,285 miles with no indication of anything wrong with them.

That unknown failure point is the driving fact in recommending replacement with a manual CCT of which the only known failure point, is the installation.

As VTRsurfer said.. that... is just my opinion based on my observations and experience.

All Done now
well I have decided since my bike has never sat and was ridden every summer very lightly and only has 3k miles and no noise im just going to have them replaced at 16K and again at 32K when the valves need to be checked and adjusted... I will pay close attention to the sound of the bike... Its super quiet and smooth so I think its ok for now...
Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Squid

the.profit.deal is on a distinguished road
hi all

i need to change my Cam Chain Tensioner. does anyone know where i can get a set for a goor price. i live in netherland.

thank u
Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Squid

SpeedieGTI is on a distinguished road
Interesting thread! New guy here, what do CCTs going bad sound like? Someone describe what to look and listen for please.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Are you more curious about how the system works in general, or just want basics to diagnose your particular bike? There is little to no warning noise when the CCT goes out on the design of this motor. You have maybe 10 seconds in most cases to react to what is a metal rattling noise before the timing skips and you do damage. In other words, if you don't know the history of your bike, it is wise to just bite the bullet and replace the CCT's and not worry about their condition. There has been no reliable way to determine whether or not a CCT will fail until it has already broken, so there is no real diagnosis.

On inline-4 bikes, there is a partial "warning noise" which is a similar metallic rattling that lets you know the CCT must be replaced. The catch here is that the CCT has already instantaneously failed just like on our v-twins, but because of the design of the motor it is not catastrophic. On an inline 4 bike you have one cam chain with four cylinders keeping relatively consistent pressure on it, so it is much harder for the chain to skip teeth. On the v-twin you have one cam chain per cylinder so you get much more erratic pulsing on the chain, and there is basically no protection from the chain skipping. It's this aspect that makes this failure so lethal to our bikes. These cct's most often fail when the spring that keeps tension inside the CCT brakes. Unless you can tell when spring steel is about to brake by looking at it, there is no way of really knowing how close to it's fatigue limit it is.

With both you'll get kind of a shaking and metallic clacking as the chain starts slapping around, but on the Superhawk once the chain skips and valves start hitting the cylinder heads it will be loud and you'll know. Hope this helps
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SpeedieGTI
Interesting thread! New guy here, what do CCTs going bad sound like? Someone describe what to look and listen for please.
+1 As above

When it gets to sound like this then not even a loud exhaust will cover the noise…

Last edited by Wicky; 10-23-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Squid

Thanks guys! I have a fairly good grasp of how they work but I was wondering if there were any warning symptoms such as a strange noise.

I have a 2011 VW GTI and there are rare instances with that engine when the CCT will fail on start-up and cause massive engine failure... It sounds much more common on this bike! I'm just a lucky guy that picked two vehicles that have such an issue, damn the luck!

I'm trying to track down the first owner of my bike in Colorado to see if he has ever replaced the CCTs on the SH.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by the.profit.deal
hi all

i need to change my Cam Chain Tensioner. does anyone know where i can get a set for a goor price. i live in netherland.
thank u
They are available from people on this website and also on ebay.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperBike

A visual inspection will tell you if you have standard Honda CCTs - if so then contact Mark Krieger > Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners

Originally Posted by SpeedieGTI
Thanks guys! I have a fairly good grasp of how they work but I was wondering if there were any warning symptoms such as a strange noise.

I have a 2011 VW GTI and there are rare instances with that engine when the CCT will fail on start-up and cause massive engine failure... It sounds much more common on this bike! I'm just a lucky guy that picked two vehicles that have such an issue, damn the luck!

I'm trying to track down the first owner of my bike in Colorado to see if he has ever replaced the CCTs on the SH.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Or make your own for $5...

James
Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
A visual inspection will tell you if you have standard Honda CCTs - if so then contact Mark Krieger > Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners
Are they easy to see without removing the fairing?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

The rear one is easily visible on the rear pot, while the front one is buried under the airbox, under the tank behind the frame spar.

An OEM bog standard Honda one looks this:

Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Squid

superhawk99 is on a distinguished road
If I had a bad CCT the noise would not go away when clutch is engaged correct? Sorry for the noo. Question.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

No- a bad CCT would make noise if the motor was running regardless of clutch...
Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Squid

Thought so. Thank you very much
Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Squid

How do I attatch a photo in this thread?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 PM
MotoGP

Easiest way is to upload the photo to a hosting site (such as photobucket), then copy and paste the "IMG" link. It just shows up then.

You can also "go advanced" in your thread reply and attach with the little paperclip icon, but the pic has to be a certain size and is more tedious to view...
Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
+1

But I was lazy with mine, when I did the front CCT. I tapped it over until I felt compression, then lined up front TDC. But you've got to be very careful doing it that way. I have decades of experience finding TDC compression that way on car engines. However, inexperienced people sometimes mistake the exhaust push for compression, or they go too far after feeling compression and pass the TDC mark, ending up on exhaust stroke, and that wouldn't be good on a VTR. The chain would slip when the CCT is backed off.
If someone reads this in the future another way to find TDC compression is to pull the plug on the rear cylinder, then turn the engine over by hand or with the rear tire (in gear of course) if it's on a stand, until you hit compression. that will be the front cylinder at TDC compression, change the front tensioner and do the cold adjustment. Then pull the plug on the front cylinder and put the plug back in the rear cylinder and turn the engine over until it hits compression, that will be the rear cylinder at TDC, now change the rear tensioner and do the cold adjustment. Job done.