Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What oil to use?

Old 10-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Squid

Alic
What oil to use?

I'm about to change oil on my SH first time since I purchased it. Previous owner used a regular automotive Mobil 1 synthetic 10W40. Honda manual recomments Honda brand 4-stroke M/C oil. Which one should I go with?

Is there a website I can purchase small items for SH from? (like a drain plug washer, for example) - 'cause I don't live near any Honda dealer within 50 miles.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson
I initially used Mobile1, but now use Amsoil. No complaints here.

Go to Bikebandit.com and order your washers, they ship really fast USPS Priority.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Squid

Alic
Thanks for the website, Phil. I couldn't find Amsoil, but a local AutoZone carries Mobil 1 Synthetic Motorcycle oil for V-Twin engines. It's 20W50, and suits Florida climate just fine, at a price twice the regular synthetic. Call me ignorant, but I like to spoil myself and my bike
Old 10-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson
Old 10-19-2004, 11:42 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Re: What oil to use?

I use mobil 1 MX4T, specific for motorcycles.

(I am not sure I have seen any v-twin specific oil from mobil though...)

I looked at the sport rider magazine's test that included many different oils (synth and regular), and I decided that Mobil 1 had the most consistent performance. There were a few oils on the top of the list, I just happened to pick mobil 1.

as long as you change your oil regularly, all motorcycle specific oils should be good enough.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson

I may be wrong, but I think the V Twin Mobile 1 is for the air cooled V twins like Harley.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

I think the current M1 10w-40 is a little light for our bikes and the 20w-50 too heavy .

In a easy to find 10w-40 the Kawasali Synthetic is relabeled Motul ... good stuff there and they CAN make money selling it at 6.10 a quart iffin they choose .

14-17 centistrokes @ 100c is just perfecto for the Hawk motor
Old 10-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Squid

Alic
Originally Posted by prhenderson";p=&quot View Post
I may be wrong, but I think the V Twin Mobile 1 is for the air cooled V twins like Harley.
What are the implications of using such an oil in a Superhawk?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson

Probably none. It probably is all the same oil but marketed differently. I got tired of looking for M1 at the various auto parts stores and remembered using Amsoil back in the 70's and found out they were still around (and online) so I went back to using their motorcycle oil.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Alic, in Florida you can run a thicker oil or drain often . Oil filters will last and effectively do their job longer than a guy might think .

There are alot of ways to oil a bike wishing we could all sit in the shop and discuss it because what could be talked about in 30 minutes would take 60 pages of thread here .

Look here at the groovy deal on Honda oil Honda oil free shipping . They also have the 20w-50 and the syn blend on their site cheap .

Some use diesel oil . I do not like that stuff for many reasons but if I were to use one I would pick Motorcraft 15w-40 . It uses a ashless additive pack for less cc deposits over time . I'd still dump it around 2-2500 miles w'o oil filter change and refill for another 2k or so .

That is IF the engine rings seal well and no fuel is getting in the oil from poor ring seal OR short trips .

Oil is about the toughest topic there is to talk about on the internet and the reason is miscomunication
Old 12-09-2004, 09:00 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Ahh yes, the age ol' oil thread. Gotta luv 'em.

On VFRdiscussion.com, there's a fellow Texan rider who just so happens to do oil breakdown analysis for an independent research facilty. They do a lot of durabilty stuff on dyno's.

Anyway, he's seen/done 'em all and says that the Mobil 1 V-twin stuff is about the best BUT that "plain" Mobil 1 Red Cap (15w-50) is right up there with it. When you compare the price, Red Cap is the obvious winner.