Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What to expect after upgrades - Cans, Jet Kit, and K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Squid

V-Raptor is on a distinguished road

Recently had Leo Vince HM SBK's, DynoJet Kit, and K&N installed. It was dynoed after. After I got it back, it ran okay for a day or two but then went downhill fast. It wouldn't idle, died at every light, even died out of the blue on the freeway a couple times. Needless to say, right back to the shop it went. When I picked it up the second time, it idles but the RPM's are still very jumpy. It surges between 9,000 and 14,000 RPM when idling at lights, warming up etc.etc.

The shop that did the work told me that this is what to expect with the work done on a carbed bike. I think it still sounds wrong though. Like it's sick.

Anyhow, could someone tell me if this is true with a carbed bike, as far as what's to be expected...running and sounding like crap at an idle??

Bike still has less than 3,000 miles by teh way.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Your idle speed is a little high...

Many people report hard to solve issues w/ free flowing aftermarket filters, even with diligent jet kit tuning. But this sounds more like the bike shop not wanting to pull the tank and get to the carbs the six or more times necessary to do a diligent jet kit tune. It's definitely NOT what's to be expected. Carbs are becoming passe, but did EVERY bike before FI not idle...!?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
What kinda bike are we talking about? 14K on a Shawk? I've got pipes-jets-filter and my bike's idle is pretty stable at 1K.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
What kinda bike are we talking about? 14K on a Shawk? I've got pipes-jets-filter and my bike's idle is pretty stable at 1K.
I'm pretty sure he meant to say 900-1400. Idle should be around 1250 with a warm bike, no choke. First thing I'd check is carb sync if it's bouncing around like that.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Aaahhhh, that makes more sense. Thought he was sneakin' an IL4 question in here.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by V-Raptor

The shop that did the work told me that this is what to expect with the work done on a carbed bike.

That shop is full of *****. Without knowing how exactly they tuned the carbs (or what they might have screwed up), there isn't much to say, but I'd bet if you put the stock air filter back in, it would run better.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Squid

V-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I did mean 900 - 1400. I made the same mistake on another forum too. Anyhow, yeah, it's jumping between 9 and 14. Used to sit right at 1200 before. The shop said the carbs are synced fine.
I played with the idle speed the first time and it still surged, only at higher RPM.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the throttle lags, even after warmed up. It used to be really snappy. Now it chokes for a second before revving.

Thanks a ton for the feedback.

Gary
Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Does the altitude have alot to do with this because I've owned three of these things, all with filters and exhausts and was always too lazy to ever touch the carbs or have them done, and I've had three perfectly running bikes and have never had any issues with them. And it's not like I don't know the difference...I've owned a gsxr600 and a zx12, along with enough old cars and bikes to know when somethings not running right. It's shops like this doing anything besides mounting tires for me that scares me.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:56 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
It Might be worth a trip to the Honda dealer if there's one near you with a good tech. A British tech at my dealer used to own a Hawk. He's the only one I would trust if I went for aftermarket exhaust. He said Dynajet works best.

There are just so many different bikes out there, it would be difficult for a tech to know them all
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
A big Visa bill

Seriously, try to richen the idle circuit and if you get over 3 turns, may need to increase the pilot jet.
Then adjust the needles, then the mains.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Squid

996er is on a distinguished road
Get a power commander...might help.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996er
Get a power commander...might help.
Well if you can figure out how to mount a powercommander on a Superhawk let me know how it works out...

I'm pretty certain it won't make any difference at all since all a PC does is change the values for the fuel injection... and since the hawk is carbed that seems kinda redundant...

I suggest reading up on what stuff are before posting...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Squid

996er is on a distinguished road
sorry, was supposed to be a joke. haha.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
DJ kits are well known for erratic idling... Nothing severe... just erratic.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
it doesn't have to be erratic. I've got a DJ kit, and the only fluctuation comes from varying outside temp. between 60 degrees and 90 degrees, the idle varies by maybe 300rpm. other than that, rock solid.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If they richened the pilot jet then that could be causing the erratic idle. Factory kits come with a #50 and very few people can use them successfully. It will give an erratic idle just as you describe. Switching back to stock with mixture screws set at 2-1/4 turns should return idle to normal if this is, in fact, your problem.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
Helloo all
New to forum, 1st post.

Now: I have a dynojet kit, DNA airfilter, and my own custom pipes (Straight through like microns...Sound of GOODNESS)
I had the pipes on for a couple of weeks before I put the kit in. Idle was very erratic, was...different to ride

I put the DJ kit in myself. Straight-foward, if somewhat time consuming. Just a case of twirling spanners really, but I digress.
I set the carbs to the settings that the DJ instructions give. Idles nicely, runs nice...Would like to get it on a dyno, tho, get the mixture right.

Sounds like they've been lazy, maybe not put some of the rubber spagetti of black hoses under the airbox on properly...