Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What Brand Rectifier?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Squid

Montana is on a distinguished road
What Brand Rectifier?

Does anyone have any recommendation on what is the best regulator/ rectifier to buy? 00 VTR with bad R/R. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
I purchased an electrosport R/R (I think the company changed names), and turned out it was bad from factory... well... that's a 1/2 truth. I purchased it off ebay that stated it was new, but had my doubts. Threw it on, and was still cooking batteries. It was putting 18 volts back into the battery @ 1400 rpm.

I was talking to my new mechanic, and he said the best thing to do would be to get a finned unit, and throw a cpu cooling fan on it. He claimed R/R's failed because they over heat. So there you go...

Either way, he installed the update stock R/R on it. Cost me 200 bucks, but then again, he installed LED lights all around, manual CCT's, new R/R, and cleaned it up. I think I got a good deal.

KG
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
i bought an 04 gsxr 600 unit off ebay, works perfect! find superblings write up in the knowledge section
Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Squid

UnWashedSuperChicken is on a distinguished road
I used one from an '04 (I think) R1. $25 on ebay. It is much bigger than the stock one, with larger cooling fins. it won't fit in the stock location, so mine is secured to the subframe on the left side of the bike. if you do buy a used one from a different bike, try to get the plug with it too.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:53 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
The later Honda unit with cooling fins seems to hold up a lot better than the older non finned ones... I have not heard of any failures with the updated units. The R1 unit looks even beefier and if you don't mind doing a little rewiring its probably the best way to go.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I got one of these last year, plug & play, 6 month warranty too.
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics....fierregulators
Doug O.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Squid
Squid

sparkyharley is on a distinguished road
VTRumble

How do you like the R/R unit from Rick's? I have a '98 and am considering replacing as "preventive maintenance".

Would appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Sparky
Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
definitely the R1 r/r. my r/r went bad just not too long ago. i ordered an R1 r/r, cut off the honda plug, made my own plug for the R1 r/r, plugged it in, wrapped the hell out of it with electrical tape and off i went. its a very easy switch and the R1 r/r is much larger than the honda r/r's, and it has bigger cooling fins. if you want to know how to do the swap (if you dont already) let me know.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I purchased a r/r from an '06 R6(same as R1) on Ebay for $30. Cut off the plug on the bike, which was fried anyway, bought some spade plugs and soldered 'em on(soldered to wire and to the pins of the r/r). VERY secure connection. One of the probems with the stock r/r is a loose connection between the r/r and the plug resulting in a build of heat frying the plug. Also hooked up a voltage gauge to monitor everything. Maintains a nice 13-13.5v when parked and 14-14.4volts when moving. Put a little piece of protective shield on the inside of the seat cowl just to be sure, but the unit has not gotten hot. The R6 r/r has a 6 pin plug but only uses 5 of them, just like the Hawk. Top left for power, top right for ground and bottom three for stator. Hardest part was finding plugs to fit the pins.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
I bought an R/R for an R1 off of eBay. It *IS* huge.

wiring was a snap, three yellow wires on one side and the other two (red and ???) on the other side (newer 580 watt R/R for fuel injection bike).

I put it where the stock unit was and cut the seat cowl. (It was already chopped up from the pannier install.)
Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Squid

honda996
+1 on Rick's Motorsport R/R, I bought one after my stock R/R failed. It's now a one year warranty and free shipping, completely plug and play and works great. I found them to be friendly and helpful and made me feel like if it does fry within that year they will stand behind their product.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had mine for over a year with no problems. It was free shipping when I bought mine also, and definitely very nice people to talk to as well. Well worth the $95.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KindredGhost
my new mechanic, and he said the best thing to do would be to get a finned unit, and throw a cpu cooling fan on it. I think I got a good deal.KG
U did get a good deal. See pics below of what I did on my 98, which has had no problems (knock on plastic)...
Attached Thumbnails What Brand Rectifier?-cpu-ht-sink-vrr-c.jpg   What Brand Rectifier?-seat-cowl-naca-duct-vrr-c.jpg