Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Weep hole issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Question Weep hole issue

Ok well I had coolant weeping from the hole on the cover in front of the water pump impeller cover. So I swapped it with another cover I had. I don't have the time and money right now to wait for the new mechanical seal. Well the one I just put on is weeping too. I was just curious if there's something else besides the mechanical seal that could make it weep fluid.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You know I had totally forgotten about that issue. You never hear much about it anymore.

My first 98 had it and it eventually stopped on its on around the 4k mark. My second 98 (superbling) never has done it (18k when I got it). I botched the cover installation while changing out the clutch and had to replace the pump and seals; no weep either.

Personally, I never got too worried about it after reading that it seemed everyone had it the first year. Threats of product defect lawsuits, letter writing campaigns, out of warranty cases, ahhh those were the dayz......
Old 05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Squid

dpenix76 is on a distinguished road
Get this! I took my cover and had the local Honda dealership change the seal for me,now a month later the damn thing is leaking again!I have decided to do the right thing this time and just ignore it.I think as long as you're not loosing tons of fluid and your oil is not getting water in it,a small weep should not be a big deal.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
What kind of coolant are you using? Has to be silicate free mixed with distilled or reverse osmosis water.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Squid

I am using Advance Auto Parts premixed coolant.According to the bottle it is safe for aluminum engines.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hmph, well there goes that theory. How about ride it until it gets worse. There's a very good chance it will get better.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Squid

Yeah,what sucks is hat the current weep actually seems to be worse than it was before I had it "fixed"
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Those seals are difficult to press in from what I understand. Try bringing it back to the dealer and saying they did it incorrectly. They should have at least a month warranty on their work.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:20 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
The weep is insignificant unless you are losing lots of Antifreeze. The occasional snail trail across the engine cover wipes right off. Mine dribbled a bit when i first bought her, Now i doesn't do it at all and I am pushing 30k.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Mine wept when I bought it, so I replaced the seal and bearing. It is bit tricky to press in the seep evenly and to the correct depth. But must be done within specs or it will cause the pump drive to rub on the cover, the case, or the seal to leak.

My new seal did not leak a drop,,,,,, until i let the bike sit for 6 months. It wept the first time I started it, and a bit when I rode it the first few miles. noticed when the wife and I stopped in town. Cleaned up the trickle.. Road it for the next 2 weeks and never leaked again. In another 9 months I'll be home again,, Bet when I ride it that first time, it leaks a bit. If so, I’ll clean it up,, and not worry at all.
If it's just an occasional trickle, forget about it. If you have more then that consider replacing the seals,, but, for a DIY you best have some skills, tools and equipment.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
I had the weep problem too. To be honest, I let it go for two years and it was fine! So I think you'll be ok to let it go a little and see what happens...

did the whole replacement job this winter and no problems so far.

joe