Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

by the way

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
by the way

I really like this tech page... and nice to meet you all. Just wanted to say Ive worked on my own bike since I bought it in 98.. and have done lots to it so what I usually chime in on is from doing it myself.
my bike experience includes:
Mori cams, cam chains, tensioners, front and rear suspension replacement, gearing changes, electrical repairs, fork brace, intake mods, jetting, pair valve, exhaust, suspension geometry mods, brakes, bla bla bla... some other stuff but I cant remember everything, must be that age thing kicking in...
Oh and lots and lots of track days and a couple years of racing WMRRA, although the VTR is retired to street use, I ride a Tiller on the track now.

Having fun in the sun and loving my chicken

-W
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard

Am curious as to what you mean by intake and suspension geometry mods....

cheers
Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Back Marker

Thanks!
well I drilled holes in my airbox lid.... decided to do a little mod while dyno testing.. I just wrote a paragraph on it in another thread:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...?t=4055&page=4
I dyno tuned my bike after putting Mori cams, slipons, jet kit and during the tune we tried it with the airbox lid off and on, with actually a loss in power with it off. Then I thought to just crack it part way open with a screwdriver. Boom, 2-3 ponies.... The mechanic and I were floored... so after a little deliberation I decided to bite the bullet and try something. We took a 1" hole saw and drilled a hole on each side of the LID (above the air filter-just being clear here) at the gap where the tank breaks away from the frame, its not visible and in the end after testing gave a solid 2 hp increase. Took out the air baffle in the lid... bad move, lost hp so put it back in.

I played with suspension setup, and geometry a lot while track daying my bike and bought a Fox Twin Clicker shock specifically because is has a ride height adjustment separate from preload. Then played with the fork height in the triples for max steer-in quickness without causing much headshake.
Im not an expert but Ive spent time playing with it.

Wow, I thought Ive done a lot, you have quite the list of goodies there too.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

Lots of little stuff... list is growing though as I have a set of Yosh Stage 1 cams on the way and picked up a set of virtually new heads that are being ported and decked. Looking forward to having those installed

Any possibility of you posting a pic of your modded airbox lid?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Back Marker

Sure, I'll post up one but its nothing special, I think Honda engineered the intake system for flow volume with stock exhaust, without the ram air feature it starves with aftermarket exhaust. The flow characteristics are good so the idea was to try and allow another source for volume. If it was a ram air setup Id never done it. I thought about trying to plumb in something to pressurize the box but never followed through. I figured if it messed it up a new airbox lid would be cheap.
Im curious about the RC brake conversion... anything special to do? I dont like the SH brakes even with SS lines and HH pads.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
MotoGP

Thanks

The RC brake conversion is quite straightforward (and works like a charm). The calipers need a little bit of material machined off but everythig else is bolt-on. Do a search as I recall jschmidt did a detailed overview of what was involved.

cheers
Old 06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I have always believed that the Superhawk intake was inadequate for what its gigantic cylinders could put out. This is a very interesting and important mod in my opinion because it addresses just that issue. Big Tubes, Big Jugs, Big Exhaust - **** tuning!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Back Marker

Trying to post pics but.... ugh...
Old 06-27-2007, 07:12 AM
MotoGP

I know the feeling... it is much simpler to post it in the Gallery section
Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 AM
MotoGP

if it's the airbox lid, can you e-mail me a copy at m_p_garneau@hotmail.com

cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

ok...found a pic attachment option. Here are pics of where I drilled holes in the airbox lid, one on each side. I didnt push it and go bigger though the dyno read a little better numbers with the airbox ajar. So maybe 1-1/4" hole may work even better, I chose this location because its hidden behind the tank visually and more weather resistant.

Attachment 3422
With tank down for reference.

Attachment 3423
Tank up.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM
MotoGP

thanks
Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
MotoGP

What do you think would be the reaction to the stock set-up. Both you guys are cammed up. I used to have a guy a hundred yards from here with a dyno but he packed up and moved back to Oklahoma. The guy there did nothing but HD but he would let anybody do runs on the dyno for $25. Unfortunately, I was doing suspension and brakes and never got there before he moved.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Back Marker

Honestly, you cant feel 2 ponies. Its when you combine it with other improvements is when you will notice anything (I did it all at the same time). An engine is basically an airpump, figure out how to get more in and out and you can make power. If you have exhaust and jetting done I suppose it couldnt hurt but without baseline numbers from a dyno, it would be hard to tell.
I can tell you this, at least after having 30k miles since the updates my air filter doesnt get dirtier sooner so its up to you. This is only my experience with this bike, cant promise anything.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
MotoGP

am not cammed yet, but soon, mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
MotoGP

Thanks for your responses guys. I still think this is an interesting mod. I am to have my tank off next week for the MCCT change so maybe I will do this. Seems pretty easy.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

yea when I did the whole cam, dyno tune, airbox surgery I think I went from 106 or 107 hp with jetting and slipons to around 114, it was a few years ago and dont remember the exact numbers. Cams did give a good 5-6 hp boost, plus a couple for makin swiss cheese... lol

I think the most notable difference was when I did a roll on with another SH on a long stretch who had similar setup but no cams and I pulled him all the way to throttle shut down.