Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

water pump weep hole

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Squid

standzchop
water pump weep hole

i just replaced my water pump seals,impeller and bearing.....i'm still getting moisture at the weep hole...it's not dripping....but the end of the little spigot that's attached to the weep hole is moist with coolant when i wipe it with my finger.....is this normal??.....i also attached a hose and vacuum pump to the weep hole and it held vacuum. so i'm confused ..if air can't get past the seal how is coolant coming out.......thnx for the help.....stan
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
It may weep for a bit until the new seal seats.

Last edited by inderocker; 07-18-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Squid

standzchop
inderrocker, thnx so much for the reply...puts my mind at ease, i was afraid the mechanical seal was defective......thnx again, stan
Old 01-28-2012, 11:20 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
sorry to bring this up from the dead but mine isn;t leaking but it's making a kind of squeel randomly and i believe it to be from the mech seal? just replaced impeller, mech and oil seal...
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

looking over the repair manual again I'm guessing i may have pushed the impeller in a bit too much or not enough. it wasn't contacting the water pump cover or the case.

Gotta do some investigative work tomorrow. yay.... just put it back together.

now I have to try and NOT make a mess as well as TRY and salvage the brand new oil and coolant.....
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Very common on home fixes, and even shop ones.. the set depth is very picky.. off either way and the impeller will rub the housing or case. I've fixed two of those that were set wrong, one for a home install and one from a dealer.
Use a depth micrometer, or at least a caliper that has depth reading to measure your seated depth. Make it as close to the center of the spec as possible.

BTW, I lied,, I have fixed this issue 3 times….. the third was mine, when I did an eye ball depth setting on my own bike as the micrometer was waaaaaaaaaay over on the other side of the shop and I was in a hurry…. Lazy cost me a second side cover gasket and fresh coolant.
I’ve since made a depth setting tool…. So it’s as easy as passing the gauge over the impeller.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

I'm fairly sure it's not rubbing but I do believe the pressure between the two halves of the mech seal may be too tight or too loose causing the squeel. it only happens sometimes. I only put about 5 miles on the bike so hopefully my gasket will still be good. it is NOT cheap

I have a good micrometer i just passed over that detail when installing.

any tips on clean efficient way to drain coolant/ not get any coolant in the sump when removing cover?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

turns out it was ever so slightly rubbing the cover. time to pour more new pricey honda coolant in to flush out any extra minute aluminum shavings and get a whole bunch more coolant tomorrow. yay.

It's not really THAT expensive but paying 10-20 bucks for approx 5 miles use all because of my **** up is the kicker. i'm a dumb dumb
Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mertechperformance
turns out it was ever so slightly rubbing the cover. time to pour more new pricey honda coolant in to flush out any extra minute aluminum shavings and get a whole bunch more coolant tomorrow. yay.

It's not really THAT expensive but paying 10-20 bucks for approx 5 miles use all because of my **** up is the kicker. i'm a dumb dumb
I've managed to re-use a cover gasket after 100 miles, so I wasn't too worried for you.

Just don't accidentally put carwash soap in instead of coolant. I spent the good part of an hour trying to get sudsy foam out of the system after that
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

yeah everything sealed back up nicely. no more squeal .

gasket was 100% intact

just glad everything's ok. good news is mech seal seemed fine was still making full contact ever while rubbing pump cover so no shavings got inbetween the surfaces. worst case I'm now quite proficient at this particular set of tasks.

Never ceases to amaze me, sometimes I'll tackle a difficult, involved non versed in mechanical project and do it perfectly, other times an easy(ier) task and botch it a bit.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mertechperformance
turns out it was ever so slightly rubbing the cover.
Happens ..

Seated depth as measured from bearing to the impeller shaft shoulder is 16.35mm to 16.62mm. That's not a lot of leeway.. Go outside that, and the impeller will rub the cover or case.

Good you got it fixed
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Squid

jmathern is on a distinguished road
Hate to bump an old thread, but I am about to replace my mechanical seal. I already replaced the bearing and oil seal, but for some reason I thought I could get away with not replacing the mechanical seal. Got the bike fired up, and coolant came spewing out of the weep hole. So... it looks like I am about to open her back up again.

E. Marquez,
Where did you find the spec on the impeller shaft to bearing? I am unable to locate that in the manual....

~Jon
Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jmathern
Hate to bump an old thread, but I am about to replace my mechanical seal. I already replaced the bearing and oil seal, but for some reason I thought I could get away with not replacing the mechanical seal. Got the bike fired up, and coolant came spewing out of the weep hole. So... it looks like I am about to open her back up again.

E. Marquez,
Where did you find the spec on the impeller shaft to bearing? I am unable to locate that in the manual....

~Jon
OEM Service manual, 6-14; Chapter 6 cooling system, page 14
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Squid

jmathern is on a distinguished road
Funny. It is not in my manual as a note. Downloaded a different one, there it is!
Thanks Erik