Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

VTR Tank Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Squid

ksumech is on a distinguished road
VTR Tank Mod

I'm currently adding volume to my VTR tank by moving the top plateau of the tank upwards an 1 1/2". During this process I'm re-routing internal lines. I'd like to delete all that i can, but i don't know if the stock fuel cap is vented. If it is vented I should be able to remove everything. If not, I'll have to make a new vent line.

Doe anyone know if the fuel cap is vented?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:20 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ksumech
I'm currently adding volume to my VTR tank by moving the top plateau of the tank upwards an 1 1/2". During this process I'm re-routing internal lines. I'd like to delete all that i can, but i don't know if the stock fuel cap is vented. If it is vented I should be able to remove everything. If not, I'll have to make a new vent line.

Doe anyone know if the fuel cap is vented?
I created a 5.25 gallon tank years ago; I use it for sport touring. I also added about 1.5" but did not cut the back middle 2" and tilted everything forward up to receive the "filler band". The gas cap "well" incorporates a drain line and vent you cannot eliminate. By tilting up the front I was able to straighten the vent and drain lines without damaging them. Be sure to thoroughly wash out the tank before cutting and welding. After its welded, fill it with water and pressurize to 5 psi with air to check for leaks. Then clean and seal inside with the POR coating system. The hardest part is figuring a paint scheme (I went with OEM Italian Red). You can buy paint from http://www.colorrite.com/CRPLfactory...imageField.y=8 and then clear coat or try to have a local autobody shop match it. I did not go back with the Honda decals under the clear coat. I removed the fairing stickers Day 1 and with my "Big Tank", no one knows what make it is without checking the sidecovers.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Squid

ksumech is on a distinguished road
The circular shaped tube in the top of the tank is the vent? The line connected to this "tube" through the tank leads to where?

Tank has been thoroughly rinsed with vinegar.

Last edited by ksumech; 03-11-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
SuperBike

The circular shaped tube in the top of the tank is the vent? The line connected to this "tube" through the tank leads to where?

looking down into the cap "well" you will see a drain hole, the space around the well is also vented. Look on the underside of the tank and you will see the vent and drain spigots projecting down.

See attached pics of my Big Tank. In the "before end view" you can see line where the 2" wide "tab" at the bottom I did not cut and hinged the top up from this tab.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM
SuperBike

see pics now?
Attached Thumbnails VTR Tank Mod-before-top-vw.jpg   VTR Tank Mod-before-end-vw.jpg   VTR Tank Mod-vtr-big-tank-after-top-vw.jpg   VTR Tank Mod-vtr-big-tank-after-end-vw.jpg  
Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Wow! Good job! Since you "toured" it, did you have any troubles using a tank bag?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 AM
SuperBike

Either mag or strap tank bags work. An expanding tb may get a little tall but otherwise are nice to lean on. With a tb and NEP, you can take a nap at 80 if the roads straight and its not windy.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Nice job Skok and if you ever wanted to put that into production I'd bet you'd have a ready mkt for it here