Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

voltage regulator rectifier

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Squid

free2ride is on a distinguished road
voltage regulator rectifier

Pretty sure my r/r went out. I bought a new battery and still no life, no lights or any thing..im hoping this is the problem.. I was wondering what is the best kit to go with or wahat to buy. I have a 99 honda vtr 1000f superhawk paid 400 as a project..it ran when i bought it.. Needs a radiator also and fairings but thinking of running it naked, and biulding something over the radiators to get air to them..thanks for your help everyone
Old 05-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Sounds like how I started out with my Superhawk. Got mine for about the same price as you, and it was literally a basket case. It was in pieces. Check out my build thread if you like in Members Rides.

As for a new Regulator Rectifier, check out the area here called Knowledge Base. There is a section on R/R's and which ones to get (you will want a MOSFET unit). It has a lot of information for you to read.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
I installed a RR from an R6.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bmidd
I installed a RR from an R6.
What year r6 was it...and im looking for a plug in and go r/r not look to do mods but i will if i have too i dont wanna keep having to replace it
Old 05-18-2014, 01:43 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Bad news: There are no quality plug and play r/r's. The harness and system was starting to get dated even when the bike was new, and to get a more reliable setup you will want to convert to a mosfet r/r. It is one of the two Achilles' heels of this bike (the other being the CCT's), but is a relatively inexpensive fix all things considered.

Good news: you have options and they aren't that intimidating. You can just buy a new kit with all of the wiring include like this one:
Universal Motorcycle Regulator Upgrade Kit Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA | eBay

Or search Tweety's Mosfet R/R thread in the Knowledge base for a list of usable used ones from different bikes and make a harness yourself for cheaper.

Now, before we jump around buying new parts, nothing on the bike is working with a new battery? Your r/r probably went out, but it also probably took the main fuse as a new battery should at least supply some power. Check the main fuse first and see that you can't get some of the bits to light up. If you have a multimeter, you can then check what the battery voltage is while bike is idling and when it's off. If the r/r failed, it could be overcharging or undercharging, and a fast way to tell is to measure the voltage at the battery terminals.

Last edited by 7moore7; 05-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by free2ride
What year r6 was it...and im looking for a plug in and go r/r not look to do mods but i will if i have too i dont wanna keep having to replace it
2006 R6 paid $40 brand new from a local rider. no special harness needed. Just attached 5 female spade connectors and installed.
Attached Thumbnails voltage regulator rectifier-1458569_326015887538828_1594567631_n.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 03:50 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Is that marked as a SH (same as standard Honda) or FH (mosfet) R/R?

Originally Posted by bmidd
2006 R6 paid $40 brand new from a local rider. no special harness needed. Just attached 5 female spade connectors and installed.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:00 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Those are SH ones^
Old 05-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by free2ride
Pretty sure my r/r went out. I bought a new battery and still no life, no lights or any thing..im hoping this is the problem.. I was wondering what is the best kit to go with or wahat to buy. I have a 99 honda vtr 1000f superhawk paid 400 as a project..it ran when i bought it.. Needs a radiator also and fairings but thinking of running it naked, and biulding something over the radiators to get air to them..thanks for your help everyone
I recommend going with a FH series r/r. The wiring and connector mods are quite easy.

If you are still looking for a radiator look at my parting out thread in the classifieds. I have a pair of aftermarket radiators and one stock radiator.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Back Marker

For $40 it was a no-brainer for me, plus I have never had one fail on any of my Yamaha's. I was looking at doing the upgrade when I came across that one.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Rider
Squid
Squid

Superchicken du nord is on a distinguished road
Do you guys have any good links to videos that show how to do this replacement? I know it sounds pretty straight forwards, but it's always good to watch someone else do it before I do it, so I know what to expect. My 'hawk won't charge the battery, and it only get 2-3 starts with it before it doesn't have enough juice to turn it over anymore, so I suspect it's the R/R. I'm going to pick up a voltmeter just to be sure, but so far, it's sounding like I need to replace it. Thanks for the link as well 7moore7!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Bad news: There are no quality plug and play r/r's. The harness and system was starting to get dated even when the bike was new, and to get a more reliable setup you will want to convert to a mosfet r/r. It is one of the two Achilles' heels of this bike (the other being the CCT's), but is a relatively inexpensive fix all things considered.

Good news: you have options and they aren't that intimidating. You can just buy a new kit with all of the wiring include like this one:
Universal Motorcycle Regulator Upgrade Kit Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA | eBay

Or search Tweety's Mosfet R/R thread in the Knowledge base for a list of usable used ones from different bikes and make a harness yourself for cheaper.

Now, before we jump around buying new parts, nothing on the bike is working with a new battery? Your r/r probably went out, but it also probably took the main fuse as a new battery should at least supply some power. Check the main fuse first and see that you can't get some of the bits to light up. If you have a multimeter, you can then check what the battery voltage is while bike is idling and when it's off. If the r/r failed, it could be overcharging or undercharging, and a fast way to tell is to measure the voltage at the battery terminals.
Yes nothing lights up not even a flicker... Where is the main fuse there is a small fuse box above the battery box with one solid blk fuse(not sure if this is it) and a few red and yellow that i can tell arentarent blownblownblown