Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

VFR Tank upgrade SNAFU

Old 02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
VFR Tank upgrade SNAFU

I am not happy. Matter of fact, I'm pissed at myself. I have been in the process of fitting a VFR tank on my Hawk in order to get some more range. I got the pump gasket this week, got the petcock to pump mount adapter plate fabbed up, finished the rear tank mount....

BUT...

Before I got it all assembled, I said to myself: "Self, while you've got this thing mostly apart, now would be a good time to drop in the new cam chain tensioner for the front cylinder". And I listened. But I didn't listen to that little voice asking "did you double check the cam timing?".... Some of you motorheads now know where I'm headed...

Bolted the CCT down, put the airbox back together, snaked all the hoses and lines for the new tank and got that installed... forgot to turn on the petcock... pull the tank halfway back off and fix that...

Fire. run, run, cough, sputter. pfssssssss. (Repeat a couple of times, except without the initial fire...)

I FORGOT TO DOUBLECHECK THE CAM TIMING!!!! Friggin cams went out of time!!

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

On the list for next weekend: remove everything I did this weekend, plus the carbs, plus the front head cover... Reset the cams... Reset the CCT... Put it all back together... Keep fingers crossed... and hope I don't have to post another idiot move next week.