Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Valve Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Valve Clearance

In my stay at home boredom, I'm checking my valve clearances and doing some other fiddling. Wouldn't I get the best measurements with the cam lobe 180Deg from the tappet? I already have the covers and chains off for other reasons and while waiting for parts I was just thinkin'......
Old 04-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
That's exactly my understanding of how to measure clearance.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:16 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
I do the same; my understanding is the cam consists of the base circle and the lobe; as long as you are on the base circle and not the lobe you should be measuring the clearance accurately, and pointing the lobe away from the valve does exactly that.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:48 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
That's what I do, only because you really don't know where the ramps starts or stops.; You can be certain that there is no lift at 180 out though.

AV
Old 04-03-2020, 06:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Any place off the cam lobe ramp is good, but best practice is center of the base circle....just do that visually, if you anyplace near 180 off the lobe top, your good
Old 04-04-2020, 04:54 PM
Superstock

Thanks people, The next random (read boredom) question; If it will still be in spec.tolerence, is it better to go on the tight side or the loose side?
Old 04-05-2020, 03:04 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CaryDG
Thanks people, The next random (read boredom) question; If it will still be in spec.tolerence, is it better to go on the tight side or the loose side?
​​​​​​Depends. My idea of tight vs your idea of tight when checking the clearances may differ a bit. I prefer to use a "go, no-go" method of valve clearance using next size up "feely" gauge. If I can force the next size up in it's close enough for gov't work. Valves rarely loosen, mostly tighten, especially the exhaust.

I had a Ducati 851S that I raced. Ducati said, check the valves every 1500 miles. I did it every 8 race hours . Rarely had to change a shim.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
The valve train of a cam above valve/ shim / follower gets tighter as parts wear... so you do not really want to be at the tight end of tolerance for a street bike.
On a Race bike you want max valve lift from you might shim to the tight end.

BUT here is reality... unless you have a large selection of OEM "1/2" size shims.. You are stuck with the more comn "whole" size shims the aftermarket sells...
And even with OEM shims if available is not uncommon to be at a point of , in spec is all you can do.
If your not very good with feeler gauges, and have a choice between at min spec, or next thinner shim but still in spec ..do that thinner shim and still inspec.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:56 PM
SuperSport

Here's what I do:

If the mileage is high, as in, well beyond initial break-in 10k+, I set to the tighter end of the spec. I do this because most of the valve stretch and seat wear has already occurred and the spec won't change much after that point, It is way better to have a tighter spec than a looser spec because you will have better valve control. If you have to choose due to limited shim selection or limited patience, go loose on the intake side and you will potentially make a bit more power. This happens because the lobe becomes, in effect, more aggressive in its ramp as a result of the lifter contacting the ramp later when more lift has begun. To be clear I'm not saying to run exhaust valves tight...that will burn a valve and it's bad. I'm saying that if you have to choose, and choose wisely, go with a looser intake valve.

That being said, use your digital caliper to measure your feeler gauge and make sure you worn out set of feeler gauges that you got from your grand daddy, or harbor freight, or snap-on, are actually what they are etched as. Do the same for the shims, .0005" here and there makes a big difference.

AV
Old 04-05-2020, 10:48 PM
Superstock

I generally mic all my feeler gauges prior to use. Tight vs loose; EX. Spec .31mm - tight = .30, loose = .32. My engine has 48k miles and has changed tolerance (tighter)on a couple of exhaust valves by .02- .03mm. I check them about every 10 -12k miles (because I like to and I like working on her as much as riding her). Heck I've pulled the engine 3 times just to clean it.

Last edited by CaryDG; 04-05-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-06-2020, 02:55 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Us ****-retentive types with Ducati shims...wet sanding...measuring...wet sanding....
Old 04-07-2020, 03:12 PM
SuperSport

I should add that I use the go/no go method with feeler gauges.

AV
Old 04-07-2020, 09:46 PM
Superstock

Thanks for all the input. I've got her all buttoned up and the new ETL MCCT's installed. I like them as they are double O-ring sealed on the adjustment shaft and don't need a gasket as they are milled with an O-ring as well. I've had good luck with these in the past. They even include the release tool for OEM ACCT's

Here's some pics. Sorry about the focus, the camera looked but I didn't have my glasses on.LOL

Last edited by CaryDG; 04-07-2020 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-15-2020, 04:08 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the input. I've got her all buttoned up and the new ETL MCCT's installed. I like them as they are double O-ring sealed on the adjustment shaft and don't need a gasket as they are milled with an O-ring as well. I've had good luck with these in the past. They even include the release tool for OEM ACCT's

Here's some pics. Sorry about the focus, the camera looked but I didn't have my glasses on.LOL
Nice! That's a new design to me. Looks good though.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Superstock

I've been using them on a couple of different bikes and really like them/ They're about $130 shipped from UK They don't need thread sealant, gaskets, Etc. and they come with the ACCT removal tool, if needed