Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Two things...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Two things...

First: My gas cap lock is starting to become stiff, mainly when I am closing the cap after refilling. It doesnt matter how much or how little pressure I apply, it takes a little force to make the last 1/8 inch of the turn. I have graphite, would anyone hesitate to use it in regards to fuel contamination?

Second: I changed my tires, chain, and sprockets on Saturday and cleaned at least a pound or two of grime out of the sprocket cover and around the main shaft. Well I had my side stand wires tied up around the hanger on the bottom of the sprocket cover ever since I bypassed the side stand switch. After putting everything back together the side stand switch light is always on, even though the only thing I did in relation was move the wires out of the way while I replaced the sprocket. It never came on before. Even more strange, the light always stays on, but the engine doesnt cut out when I put it in gear. Ive been riding it around since with no issues, so it is more of an annoyance. I checked the wires where I jumped them and the connections are good and clean, any ideas?

Last edited by aja; 07-17-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
A squirt of WD40 in the gas cap key always works for me when it gets stick.

As for the Side stand light....Name:  idunno.gif
Views: 94
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't worry about contaminating the gas as you only use the graphite to lubricate the lock mechanism, If you use grease or oil type lube in it eventually the little devices (not sure what they are called) which fit your key will get sticky and you will have trouble. Use WD-40 for the ears which stick out to keep the cover closed.

Not sure about your side-stand switch.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Silicone liquid spray has been my best friend when locks start to **** up, gas cap locks included. I have heard that graphite can clump inside the locks and cause more problems later, but have never tried it.

What year is your bike? More specifically, is the side stand switch 2 wire or 3 wire?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Have you tried different combinations of wire connections at the switch to cure it?
(touch wires together in diff patterns)

Or maybe your sidestand IS down........
Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 PM
aja
SuperSport

My only worries about fuel contamination is that the cylinder and lock may not be water tight from the inside and that whatever I use may run into the tank. I could always take off the entire cap to do it, but there is also the concern of graphite getting in the same way over time.

98, 3 wire. Green/white and green jumped with small spades with shrink tube, yellow capped off with shrink tube, and it all wrapped in shrink tube and electrical tape.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
My only worries about fuel contamination is that the cylinder and lock may not be water tight from the inside and that whatever I use may run into the tank. I could always take off the entire cap to do it, but there is also the concern of graphite getting in the same way over time. ..........
Wouldn't it stand to reason that your gas tank would leak then? What about water intrusion if you left your bike outside?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by aja
98, 3 wire. Green/white and green jumped with small spades with shrink tube, yellow capped off with shrink tube, and it all wrapped in shrink tube and electrical tape.
The yellow/black wire runs directly to the lamp on the dash and provides ground for the bulb. If the light is on, then this wire must be grounded somewhere. There is a bare wire making contact with either the jumped wires, or to metal.

If the switch were connected and working properly, yellow/black would be making connection with green only when the stand is down.

It sounds like the side stand switch is completely removed from the circuit, so should not matter if the stand is up or down.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM
aja
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Wouldn't it stand to reason that your gas tank would leak then? What about water intrusion if you left your bike outside?
Well water would have to find its way around the key hole lid and into the key hole. It is a lot different than something being deliberately sprayed into the lock.