Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Tires?

Okay so I did do a search first but didn't see what I was looking for (though admittedly I'm not the best at searching and get frustrated quickly)

I'm just wondering what tires people are running and what kind of mileage they are getting out of them. I do a lot of miles (I put 20K on my YZF in one year in NY) and tend to prefer to run a tire more geared twords touring than track days (I ran D205's and the 220's when they replaced the 205, but I liked the 205 much better) I was going to continue on with the 220's but they don't make one in the size for this bike that I can find
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Pilot Road 3.

Short of running track speeds on the road.. all the grip you could ask for and seem to be long wearing at this point.

I normally run Pilot power, or Q2. 3k and the rear is done, 5 k and the front is done. Wife works at a local dealer and several of the techs (everyone that works there rides, salesgirls to techs to service folks) have been running the PR3 for a bit now as a trial.....and love um,, Speed Triple, CBR100RR, Street Triple, and a VFR800

I run my tires to the edge..... no chicken strips...
Old 08-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
+1 on the PR3, I love mine. I cant speak to the front tire as I have a PP3 up there but for the rear its great! I'm no where near as good as E.Marquez though... I still have a little chicken strip.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:04 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I like road2's that were on my bike when I bought it. I have 6k on them, not sure how many miles PO put on them. Still look good and no chicky strips
Old 08-04-2013, 06:22 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Stones! BT023 rear, BT016 front.
Opinions are like ........

On a side note... I ran the Metzeler Z's for about 12 years! The Z6's will get about 7-8K out of a rear and about 10k on the front. The rear gives up the ghost long before the tire is totally wore out. Too many heat cycles is my .02.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Superstock

I never liked the bridgestone Buttcraxs tires The YZF comes with the Battleaxe tires from the factory.. of course I guess just about all factory tires are junk arent they

Thanks for the input guys. The dealer put a new set of Q2's on the bike before I left the dealership with it.. They didn't feal like they are going to last too long
Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
No, q2s are meant for laptimes, not touring/commuting miles. I believe they are dual compond so they tend to wear weird. You'll see what I mean. I think the roadsmarts woulda been a better long mile choice.

Report your findings.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
I got the q2's and they are glue. They will wear out center in about 3-4k miles if that. And as noted above they shave weird just outside of center if you are casually riding the curves.

They are def a track day tire.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM
bpw
Back Marker

bpw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Pilot Road 3.

I run my tires to the edge..... no chicken strips...
Ditto, only street tire for me
Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I was running 2cts on my bike and recently fitted D209 Dunlop Sportmax qualifiers that I picked up cheap for a 2000klm road trip.

I thought that because they were cheap that I would replace them when I got back home after finishing a contract in Queensland OZ.

Funny thing happened , they were great and the handling and wear are superb.

I got to thinking and was wondering if the latest and greatest tyres are not the best options when it comes to my Storm(Superhawk)

Could it be that the latest generation tyres exceed the dynamics of our chassis and suspension systems, and in actual fact tyres with older technology actually suit our bikes better?

Just a thought, although it certainly seems that way to me.

I am going to buy another set now and put them away for later.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
MotoGP

According to BIKE magazine (a brit rag), installing Michelin pilot road 3s is like getting ohlins suspension. They have super soft sidewalls (unlike dunlops ans stones).

BUT they are expensive and wear out like pencil erasers. So take you pick. Dunlops handle way quicker than bridgestones but both wear OK and have stiff sidewalls, so are a rougher ride.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
bpw
Back Marker

bpw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
According to BIKE magazine (a brit rag), installing Michelin pilot road 3s is like getting ohlins suspension. They have super soft sidewalls (unlike dunlops ans stones).

BUT they are expensive and wear out like pencil erasers. So take you pick. Dunlops handle way quicker than bridgestones but both wear OK and have stiff sidewalls, so are a rougher ride.

Yes they are a tad more but Ive got 9k on a rear with maybe 40% left on my z1000 that I beat like Tina Turner.... thats a hellva eraser.

Same 9k on the front with minimal wear.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Pilot road 3 wear fast? I think someone is confusing models.

Pilot Power 3's wear fast, but are a great gripping tire, very predictable (what I ran just before this set)
Pilot Road 3's are a long wearing sport touring tire.
I have not quite 1800 miles on them at this point.. and other than the nubs being worn off you can not detect any wear from center, to the tire edge.. Just that they are scrubbed all the way across.

Cyclegear prices for compair:
$200.99 rear Mich PR3
$200.99 rear DUN Roadsmart II
Not sure what the like tire is in "Stone" for sport touring, high grip, all weather.

$167.99 rear Mich PP3
$147.99 rear DUN Q3
$142.99 rear BRI BT016

Not that different.. and I think my PR3 will last twice as long or better then my PP3's did.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 08-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Even my PP 2ct's aren't wearing that bad(for a sport tire) I have 7k on both front and rear and about 40% left on the front and 30% left on the rear. But I think I'm going to try the road 3's next.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sailorjerry
Even my PP 2ct's aren't wearing that bad(for a sport tire) I have 7k on both front and rear and about 40% left on the front and 30% left on the rear. But I think I'm going to try the road 3's next.
You're getting more then I got, so good on you... I did a bunch of slab riding on my PP 2CT's (two tire sets ago) and wore a flat spot on the center in under 3k
Old 08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
MotoGP

I guess I am comparing to the dunlop roadsmart rear 190 that I just bought for 100 to my door. Thats Half the price of the Mich's and no way are they giving twice the milage or grip.

Maybe better ride quality but yeah, for twice the price you better give me something.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
I just had Pilot Power 3's F&R spooned on, we will see how they wear. I wanted to see how they performed compared to the wear-like-iron Pilot Road that was on the Rear of the bike when I got it. (I installed a Pilot Power front when I got it and it still had decent tread left also). I put 6,700 miles on the rear, and there was still about 30-40% life left.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

I guess I am comparing to the dunlop roadsmart rear 190 that I just bought for 100 to my door. Thats Half the price of the Mich's and no way are they giving twice the milage or grip.

Maybe better ride quality but yeah, for twice the price you better give me something.
So that was roadsmart I yes? Not the newer II?

I did have those and the older Q2 available for cheap... but wanted to try the PR3.

And why a 190? have you ridden that tire width on the SH? if so, what do you like about it better then the 180 and a like AR tire?

I tired a Q2 in 190..... was not happy and only ran it 1K or so.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Stones! BT023 rear, BT016 front.
Opinions are like ........

On a side note... I ran the Metzeler Z's for about 12 years! The Z6's will get about 7-8K out of a rear and about 10k on the front. The rear gives up the ghost long before the tire is totally wore out. Too many heat cycles is my .02.
+1 on the bt tires, i ran bt016's for my last set, rear ran out after about 4k really aggressive riding and just switched out for a bt016 pro and holy crap it is the most confidence inspiring tire i have yet to try, extremely grippy and so far about 1k on them and still look brand new
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
I never liked the bridgestone Buttcraxs tires The YZF comes with the Battleaxe tires from the factory.. of course I guess just about all factory tires are junk arent they

Thanks for the input guys. The dealer put a new set of Q2's on the bike before I left the dealership with it.. They didn't feal like they are going to last too long
So u bought Q2s? Decision made? Hope you got'em cheap cuz the Q3s are the same price.

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
So that was roadsmart I yes? Not the newer II?

I did have those and the older Q2 available for cheap... but wanted to try the PR3.

And why a 190? have you ridden that tire width on the SH? if so, what do you like about it better then the 180 and a like AR tire?

I tired a Q2 in 190..... was not happy and only ran it 1K or so.
I ran the RS1s and they were OK, maybe 9.5k mile rear. Front had more left but was replacement when original wore weird.

I've run Metzelers, Bridges, Avons and Contis for years but not Michs.

Last and current sets have been Avon Ultra Storm 2s. Last set of Storm 2s ran 11k (changed at 12.5k miles see 1st pic below) rear and front had more too. I in the flatlands we do a lot of straight up and down riding unfortunately. Whereas the Storms are not the PR3s (though probably pretty close), after deducting $40 ~ $50 Avon debit card the pairs have cost only $234 including shipping plus they have a free road hazard warranty (if its worth the paper its written on). That's value per mile traveled!

I don't push the front too hard but for some reason I take the rear to within 1/2" or less of no-mans land. 6.5k miles all this season, the rear is showing edges of the center compound (i.e., the softer sides are wearing faster see 2nd & 3rd pics below) which I don't recall the last pair doing. However, at this rate I should still get another 5k miles; knock on plastic (not wood).
Attached Thumbnails Tires?-avon-ultra-2-storms-prior-rear.jpg   Tires?-07-27-13-avon-ultra-2-storm-rear-1c.jpg   Tires?-07-27-13-avon-ultra-2-strom-rear-2c.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 08-06-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by skokievtr
So u bought Q2s? Decision made? Hope you got'em cheap cuz the Q3s are the same price.

I ran the RS1s and they were OK, maybe 9.5k mile rear. Front had more left but was replacement when original wore weird.

I've run Metzelers, Bridges, Avons and Contis for years but not Michs.

Last and current sets have been Avon Ultra Storm 2s. Last set of Storm 2s ran 11k (changed at 12.5k miles see 1st pic below) rear and front had more too. I in the flatlands we do a lot of straight up and down riding unfortunately. Whereas the Storms are not the PR3s (though probably pretty close), after deducting $40 ~ $50 Avon debit card the pairs have cost only $234 including shipping plus they have a free road hazard warranty (if its worth the paper its written on). That's value per mile traveled!

I don't push the front too hard but for some reason I take the rear to within 1/2" or less of no-mans land. 6.5k miles all this season, the rear is showing edges of the center compound (i.e., the softer sides are wearing faster see 2nd & 3rd pics below) which I don't recall the last pair doing. However, at this rate I should still get another 5k miles; knock on plastic (not wood).
No, the dealer put a new set of Q2's on the bike when I bought it. I wasn't expecting it as the tires that were on it still had good life on them. But I put miles on my bike quick (or at least I used to) and I wanted to get an idea in my head of what tire to try next because these are very responsive (almost too much so) and I don't expect them to go very long. I'm leaning towards the Z6's right now from what wolverine said but I'm glad you said what you did about the avons. A lot of guys on the YZF forum like them and get tons of miles out of them but was apprehensive to be a guinie pig with the Hawk
Old 08-13-2013, 11:38 PM
semi-advanced novice
Squid

drewski is on a distinguished road
Just bought a set of Q3s that are being put on over the weekend. Will let everyone know how they hold up.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 AM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drewski
Just bought a set of Q3s that are being put on over the weekend. Will let everyone know how they hold up.
me too, had them isntalled on Saturday. I have about 300 miles on them. They're good and grippy, but that makes me wonder how long they'll last. My dealer offers a protection plan that includes "mileage replacement" as long as I get over 2500 miles on them, so even if they're on the bars at 3k, new tires for me!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 PM
semi-advanced novice
Squid

drewski is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChikinLady1011
me too, had them isntalled on Saturday. I have about 300 miles on them. They're good and grippy, but that makes me wonder how long they'll last. My dealer offers a protection plan that includes "mileage replacement" as long as I get over 2500 miles on them, so even if they're on the bars at 3k, new tires for me!
Did you get the rebate paperwork??
Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
I did get the rebate forms. Filling them out is another thing!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:18 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Well my Pilot Road 3 rear tire is finally officially bald at 14k miles, great tire and time to order another one.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

Archaic, do the PR3s smooth out the ride as much as rumored? Have you ridden other tires to compare?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Can't really compare it to anything Joe, It had a different brand when I got it but the PR3 is the only other tire I've had on it. 2 flats and 3 plugs later it is about done, I will surely get a little more out of it but time to order a new tire

Last edited by archaicguy; 08-16-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Pilot Power 3

PP3 with just under 2900 miles on it. All miles in the mountains and the Skyway. Wears well, I got 6k out of the front tire.
Attached Thumbnails Tires?-20130909_131857.jpg  
Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone answered Marquez's question about 180 vs 190 rear that's actually ridden both?

Quick Reply: Tires?