Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Is this a timing related issue, TPS related or any other?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 08:46 AM
Squid

Shammi is on a distinguished road
Is this a timing related issue, TPS related or any other?

Hello, I am Shammi from Sri Lanka. This is my first post here. I have recently purchased my first liter bike, a 2005 VTR Firestorm. It does have running issues and when we did the inspection at the previous owners place, he claimed the poor running was a result of a weak battery. He jump started it and drove the bike around and it ran well so we bought it. We brought it home, got a temporary 12V 9Ah battery from my other bike and jump started the VTR and we are hearing a knocking noise which we are not sure if it is a result of a bad TPS sensor causing an over advance retard situation or a timing related issue. The bike doesn't want to idle and eventually conks out. If we hold the throttle slightly to keep it running, after a few minutes when the bike heats up the knocking noise is gone and idles well and sounds pretty healthy.

Another thing to note is we took the air box off to see what its like and also started the bike and there were a few back fires from both the carbs too. Don't know if that's normal so putting it out here.

We are not sure what's wrong with the bike, I have recorded the bike when its causing the issue and uploaded here on YouTube:
. Please excuse the poor video quality and for recording it in portrait (which I didn't notice). Recorded it with the only device I have. You should be able to hear the knocking sound by headphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2021, 03:05 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
I would say that you are running on one cylinder. Revving it gets both carbs off of the idle circuit..pop...Idle jets, TPS, simple stuff first. Make sure the timing chain hasn't jumped a tooth. Best of luck.