Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ticking Sound: Share your oppinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
Ticking Sound: Share your oppinion

Hello Everyone!

I recently changed out the Auto CCT for Kreigers MCCT and was suspecting maybe I didn't tighten one down enough.

However: The Cam Chain should tighten slightly naturally as the engine warms, thus some MCCT riders hear some chain noise while cold which goes away once the bike is warm. Well: the ticking I am hearing does not get louder or quiter. It's just "there" its nether louder in the morning or quiter in the hot afternoon.

So: Perhaps there is an exhaust leak in my Indigo full lengh exhaust from PO. I can certainly hear the ticking more easily behind the bike listening to the exhaust. The PO also layed the bike down 0mph in the driveway which did bend the mounting bracket for the exhaust slightly, breaking one mirror, cracking the front fairing and a very slight abbrasion to the clutch cover. All of which I have replaced..(He was a little Asian man) So perhaps THAT may have caused the exhaust to shift and cause the leak I am hearing??

Also: The ticking seemingly alligns with the umm "?lobe?" of the engine. It honestly reminds me of when I had a exhaust leak on my car.

If the Cam Chain wasnt tight, how obvious is the sound? versus an exhaust leak. Are the two very similar?

I've never heard a loose cam chain before.

Thank you,

Last edited by WhOrD; 04-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
A cam chian will sound like a can full of bolts being rattled around.....
A "tick" could be exhaust or maybe the carb slides bouncing....

So I would check all the fasteners on the exhaust system and maybe replace the gaskets, including the copper ones in the heads.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
A cam chian will sound like a can full of bolts being rattled around.....
A "tick" could be exhaust or maybe the carb slides bouncing....

So I would check all the fasteners on the exhaust system and maybe replace the gaskets, including the copper ones in the heads.
Haha, your.....description of a loose cam chain greatly eases my concerns. The copper gaskets in the head are there regardless of which type of exhaust I have? So that would be a Honda OEM part whereas the other parts I'll have to order from Indigo?

Strange Indigo only shows RC51 Exhaust.....I guess at least the exhaust was interchangeable?

*****Indigo states these are High Mount Slip-ons for the 02-03 RC51....What the poop! How can I tell if I have full lengh or High Mount slip ons...ohh the shame.
http://www.indigosports.com/exhaust/..._22_44321.html
Those look exactly like what I have the Indigo logo is optional <click on my avatar>

Thank you Captain Hawk!

Last edited by WhOrD; 04-24-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1999>VTR1000F>MUFFLER

Part No.2 - collapsible copper gaskets (make sure the old ones are in there and get them out as they get squashed into the cylinder head exhaust outlet and get all sooty)

Also in the stock exhaust there are graphite seals (no. 6) between the header and link pipes. Some aftermarket systems also use em or there's just an interference fit clamped up.

As for clamps I recommend W4 Mikalor Supra fully stainless clamps

Have fun accessing the rear down pipe!

PS your Bike is a VTR1000F NOT an RC-51

http://www.indigosports.com/exhaust/..._22_44121.html

Last edited by Wicky; 04-24-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wicky
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1999>VTR1000F>MUFFLER

Part No.2 - collapsible copper gaskets (make sure the old ones are in there and get them out as they get squashed into the cylinder head exhaust outlet and get all sooty)

Also in the stock exhaust there are graphite seals (no. 6) between the header and link pipes. Some aftermarket systems also use em or there's just an interference fit clamped up.

As for clamps I recommend W4 Mikalor Supra fully stainless clamps

Have fun accessing the rear down pipe!

PS your Bike is a VTR1000F NOT an RC-51

Indigo Sports - Honda VTR 1000 F ('97-'02)
http://www.indigosports.com/ I click exhaust systems then Honda and NO VTR1000F is listed....Also: when I click on your link I see two pictures a price and Buy it.....all other jpeg images are X'ed but the drop down links "do" work....interesting....Perhaps you being in the UK has something to do with this....but ususally those are .eu links

Last edited by WhOrD; 04-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by WhOrD
Indigo Sports I click exhaust systems then Honda and NO VTR1000F is listed....

Indigo Sports, Inc.
207 Banks Station, Suite 617
Fayetteville, GA 30214
Tel: (770) 719-3800
Fax: (770) 719-3888
E-mail: sales@indigosports.com
Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri, 9:00-6:00 EST

Last edited by Wicky; 04-24-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Back Marker

Exactly.....There is no VTR1000F listed in my menu...I wonder if you being in UK and me being in the states has something to do with this.

I am an IT server administrator...so please take my word for this, I am not technologically retarded in the least ^.^

**I also noticed their description states passenger pegs retained, whereas mine are gone. Ohh my, I guess I'll call them tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Ticking Sound: Share your oppinion-new-bitmap-image-3-.jpg  

Last edited by WhOrD; 04-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
SuperBike

I'm a web developer! And it's an awfully made site - The VTR menu link is accessible from the RC51 page you linked to but not from the front page or consistently through the site.

I also noticed their decription states passenger pegs retained, whereas mine are gone
The PO probably didn't include the spacer tubes and long bolts that allow the fitment of pillion pegs.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Back Marker

I'm a web developer! And it's an awfully made site - The VTR menu link is accessible from the RC51 page you linked to but not from the front page or consistently through the site.

The PO probably didn't include the spacer tubes and long bolts that allow the fitment of pillion pegs.
Web Developer.......Ohh GAWD!!!!!.......Allright then you have me trumped...this time....

You are 100% correct, I see the link now. That is utterly pathetic and unprofessional, I will certainly bring this to their attention as they have likely missed out on possible sales......

Last edited by WhOrD; 04-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Back Marker

Just an Update:

Their email address listed no longer works.

Their phone number just goes to some guy's random voice mail.

I doubt this place is even in business anymore. Sad.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well from what I have heard....Indigo turned into Leo Vince.
So with that do you have gaskets at the points where the pipes interconnect or is it just a slip fit between them?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well from what I have heard....Indigo turned into Leo Vince.
So with that do you have gaskets at the points where the pipes interconnect or is it just a slip fit between them?
Thank you for that insightful information Hawk!

In all honesty I have been so busy tuning my carbs' I never looked at the exhaust, well since the "possible" leak can interfere with a proper tune....so before I shim the needles or adjust the pilot screws, I want to ensure a proper seal.

Again Hawk: Your description absolutely confirmed it is not the cam chain. You should sticky your "quote" .....Many technically inclined users who just lack experience (such as myself) need your re-assurance and expertise.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WhOrD
Just an Update:

Their email address listed no longer works.

Their phone number just goes to some guy's random voice mail.

I doubt this place is even in business anymore. Sad.
Well... If you dig through the code for the site a little more, the reason that the VTR1000F isn't in the list is pretty obvious...

It's listed as discontinued...

Ie, they removed the link coming from the front page... But, they retained the page on the server, and when you click the menu from that particular page the script generates the menu with that link shown... Since the script doesn't know if a product is active or discontinued, it just renders according to it's parameters...

Moot point as the company is defunct or bougth up and doesn't operate the page anymore... But it should clarify the reason at least...