Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Are there any electrical diagnostitions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Squid

Rufion
Smile Are there any electrical diagnostitions?

Thanks for peoples help so far with the bogging/bucking prob at 2.5-4.5k. We have rebuilt the carbies and done the whole fuel/spark thing w/ no change (except a smoother bike above the prob area).

The fact remains that the bike was fine before I played with the wiring under the seat adding a speedo corrector which taps into the power and earth, whilst cutting the speed sensor wire and re running it through the corrector unit and back into the wiring loom.( i have done this many times before w/ no probs...i fiddle w/ these buggas)

Does any one know if I could have shorted or damaged any wiring that could give these symptoms of no hp below 5000rpm at wide open throttle, it will roll through this rpm range but not at wot.

Can anybody direct me to a electrical bit of info for testing the electrics, such as the different sensors for heat and throttle etc ( the tps works and adv upto 5000ohms from a idle of 850 and the timing shows the motor is being adv at different throttle openings)I am working through the manual and comparing my readings to the manual...slow going for me.

Cheers and hope somebody had a nice ride today! btw fitting uprated front springs while I am at it , finally!

rufion
Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Squid

Mick-e is on a distinguished road
Is it all possible to remove the speedo adjuster, and restore everything back to original? Then see what happens?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help?

Not that i have much idea about the bike or much else. (stupid) i have had the same issue with my Hawk a time or two. Here is what happened to me, maybe it can help you:

Working with the carbs, mostly cleaning. When i went to reinstall the air box and filter, i had the choking and rough sound anytime under 5500 rpm. Took apart the whole assembly again and found that the carbs were getting too much air. Replaced the filter, as well as double checked the carb settings. All was good.

Another thing you may want to check are the fuses and the voltage using a Voltmeter or multimeter. If you need to know which wires hold which voltage, you can find it in the Haynes manual...and i have a copy if you need it.

Sorry if it didnt help at all. I did my best. LOL like i said dont know much ... just what i have tried before.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Electrical misfires get worse with revs. You have a fueling problem. I'm betting its related to needles or slides.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Squid

Rufion
Yeah just woke up thinking thats it fuel again...just feel like we have checked everything...

back to do it all again.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Squid

Rufion
HI All
Fixed after another carbie pull apart and go over everything again with carb cleaner and comp air...who knows what it was. Pulls like an animal from 4.5k now.
Cheers
Ian
Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Good to hear it! And you didn't have to take it to a dealer either. Congrats!