Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Squid

kfkraenz
Suspension Question

I just bought a used, but basically new (3,000 mi) super hawk. I don't know much aobut suspension settings and I'm hoping to learn more at a track day next Monday. Unfourtunatly the guy I bought the bike from didn't have the owners manual and I was wondering if it has sugested settings for the suspension. My friend just bought a new buell and they had a table in the owners manual with all the settings for different rider weights. While I know I will not find a perfect set-up this way, I'm just looking for a place to start. I weight about 230lbs so any settings that any of you larger riders have would be appriciated.

Also, does anyone know of a way to extend the mirrors. The only thing I can see in them are my arms (I'm 6'4). I've looked for an aftermarket extender, but I haven't found one.

Thanks for the help,
-Karl
Old 08-16-2005, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Suspension Question

Go on ebay there's always a couple of different kinds, you can get them for around $60. Or check out some of the cosmetic mods on here there are some good ideas. Some people use the newer R6 mirrors.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:31 PM
MotoGP

Ebay has these rite now, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIRRO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Squid

kfkraenz

Thanks for the link to the mirror extenders. I just took the "buy now" price and they should be on the way. I kept putting super hawk as 2 words in E-bay, I guess it makes a difference....

-Karl

P.S. any recomendations on brand of SS braided brake lines... I'm planning on doing them as well, but I have no idea which ones are best. I found the following on E-bay, but they don't mention the manufacturer. I don't mind spending another hundred bucks if it is for something safety related. The brakes on the hawk don't seem as good as the ones on my BMW. Even though the BMW has power assit and ABS, I figured the lighter weight of the hawk would mean that it stops a lot better...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VTR-V...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-16-2005, 10:03 PM
MotoGP

One of the biggest downfalls of the superhawk is brakes, the older they get the worse they feel as well. You'll probablly get 100 different answers on who's the best but I have Galfer's that I bought at cyclebrakes. They give you a choice of color covers have very good prices and great customer service.

I also have a friend that says they're garbage and he had to replace his in a year. Of course he owns his own ss lines buisness manufacturing HEL brake lines in the U.S. for the company out of the U.K. You can go to thier site and they explain the difference between thiers and others.

I beleive Spiegler are the only DOT ss lines on the market right now if that makes any difference to you. But no matter which you get they will make a huge improvement on feel and power.

One last thing, if you don't mind spending the money, 2000 to 2002 gsxr front calipers are a nice bolt on addition! : 6 pistons, no waiting, instant stops!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:05 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah let us know how the extenders are when you get them.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:08 PM
MotoGP

About the ebay lines, I don't know anything about them maybe someone here has them and could let us know. I just didn't trust my main way of staying alive to lines I knew nothing about but the price did tempt me too.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Squid

davidhartley is an unknown quantity at this point

I put R1 (yamaha) mirrors on my S'hawk.
I can see around my elbows pretty well with 'em.

The front springs of a stock Superhawk are designed for someone HALF of your 230lbs -- so you'll be wanting new springs ASAP, probably a 1.2kg (mine are 1.0Kg, I"m 175lbs) -meanwhile you'll want to set the spring adjusters in front to the hardest setting, I"d guess the rear shock maybe one down from the top.

If you want the bike to handle decently, you've pretty much gotta either replace the front end, or get the forks revalved & resprung.
Not to mention a new rear shock (I just ordered a WP 4way adjustable)
Lindeman Engineering is one of the best I know of
http://www.le-suspension.com/
There's also Traxxion Dynamics
http://www.traxxion.com/
and Racetech
http://www.racetech.com/

Prices on brake lines don't seem to vary a whole lot, might want to go with Galfer, or anything that Braketech
http://www.braketech.com
sells will be good.. I haven't gotten around to changing brake lines yet; doesn't seem all that necessary since mounting the Braketech Utralight 320mm rotors & Galfer Green pads.. LOTS of braking power, easy to modulate (got a little chirp out of the frontt today while being cut off by a cager in S.F city streets)
I'm salivating over the Braketech ceramic rotors, saw them on the website and then saw them in person a MotoGP in Laguna.
Sure will be interesting finding out how the bike feels with that much less unsprung and rotating mass..
Old 08-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Squid

bassmaniac69

I just recently received the same extenders from those guys and they work a treat. I now have a full view behind me without having to move my arms and even though I see some elbow, there is no where as much as before! To be honest I thought they were a bit "dorky" at first but now I don't even notice em. I reckon you will like em!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

1.0kg and 175lbs? Racetech chart says you should be about .80kg. I have the 1k springs, on the loosest setting and they are still way too hard.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:51 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I just saw a thread here last week where a guy replace his stock mirrors with R6 mirrors. They have longer arms and larger mirrors, and apparently they make a world of difference.

I have the gemar (?) extenders on and the work pretty good too.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Squid

kfkraenz

Put the extenders on yesterday and they work like a champ. I can still see my elbows, but I get a clear picture behind me as well. After bidding on E-bay I found them cheper by doing a search on the web, so if anyone else is intrested shop around before you buy.

Now the bad news, I need some touch-up paint for my red '02 hawk. Anyone know of a good place to find some? The dealers around here have been less then helpful, I guess they don't stock the stuff. I've given up on making the bike look "good", but I don't want the tank to rust. I bought the bike with a little rashed plastic on the left side (for a good price), then dropped it last week at summit point race track on the right side to "make it match". I installed a new clip-on and foot peg bracket this weekend to get her back on the road. I don't have a lot of experience with painting (especially metal) so any suggestoins would be appriciated. If the bike looks good form 10' I'm happy, I just don't want any rust to form on the tank.

Thanks for the help,
-Karl
Old 08-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
The color match is:

R157 Italian Red 2228-2

Got to:

http://www.color-rite.com and pick the MC link and 02 Honda VTR1000....
Old 08-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

Karl,
re: brakes and SS lines.....
Try www.cyclebrakes.com

Bought my front and rear SS lines and Gafler pads from them.
Good products. Good price. Good service.

Brian
Old 09-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Squid

zakthor

I've rebuilt calipers, changed to ss lines (goodridge), swapped fork springs, and by far the springs were the most important change for me. The fork bottomed out much too easily.

I'm 195 and used the 0.9kg/mm springs from racetech.