Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Steering head bearings (wow!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering head bearings (wow!)

Ok, so after the steering head bearings loosened up for the second time, I figured they're just trashed. Time for new ones, and I'll be damned if I'm putting the stock ball-bearing sets back in. allballsracing.com hooked me up with a set of tapered needle bearings, and WHOA! Apparently the bearings were bad enough that I had some slop in the front end I had gotten used to. After installing the new bearings this weekend, I'm thoroughly amazed. The thing corners like it's on rails, and is much more responsive on turn-in.

Just thought I'd share. If you think you've got some creep in the front end under braking, might want to check those bearings. I'm glad I did!

Nothing else to see here, move along!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Plus 1 on allballs.... I bought a set of there streering bearings for the RC swap I'm doing... were very helpful on the phone, and shipped nice and fast.

J.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
This is another one of those things that people are skeptical about until they try it. It seems like it shouldn't make that much of a difference, but it does. You want flex in certain parts of the motorcycle, the steering head area is not one of them.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nuhawk needs some for his front end rebuild. Would you care to post the part # please.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Superstock

22-1020 if he needs the stock numbers. SlowHAWK will have to help if you need the ones to fit the RC front end. You can also check on their website for the distributor cross-reference for that part, if you want to order from someone else (tucker rocky, parts unlimited, etc). Cheers!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Okay already! I've got a set sitting on the shelf that I was supposed to install over the winter. But I was busy, the sun was in my eyes, the dog ate the instructions ...

Thanks for the motivation.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
It looks like the steering head bearings for the 929/954 and the Superhawk are the same ones! (22-1020)

Dennis
Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
SuperSport

I called their 1-800 line when I ordered, told the rep what I was doing swap wise, and he checked both bikes to isure they would work.... I used a 929 lower triple, so the part number KC listed is what I guess I have. Not sure what the RC lower uses.

J.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
For the RC51 swap there is a difference between early and late so be sure you know which triple you have and order correctly (early years). Replace races and bearings - I had to take mine to the shop - couldn't get the lower race off using the traditional method.

bill
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
SuperSport

Quick question....

I haven't put the new lower bearing onto the stem yet, as I just finished powder coating the triple.... any chance I can install the lower bearing with a piece of pipe (correctly sized) and a deadblow hammer... or do I need a machine shop to press it on the stem?

J.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey Slowhawk,

Did you use a 929 lower with a RC upper triple for your swap??

Dennis
Old 03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
Quick question....

I haven't put the new lower bearing onto the stem yet, as I just finished powder coating the triple.... any chance I can install the lower bearing with a piece of pipe (correctly sized) and a deadblow hammer... or do I need a machine shop to press it on the stem?

J.
technically its the race. Putting it on is easy (as you suggest - just be sure to get the diameter right so you don't touch the bearing surface), its getting if off that is the problem and sounds like you already did that?.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Put the stem part in the freezer for an hour and put the race in boiling water. It'll go on a LOT easier. Wear gloves. And yes, the pipe will work. Stay away from the bearing surface.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM
SuperSport

For my swap I am using the 929 lower.... (and I was able to get the old race off without alot of trouble)...

For the upper, I have both a 929/954 and a RC-51... I wanted the flexibilty to adjust the ride height (move the forks up or down a bit) and bar height flexibility knowing the RC forks are a tiny bit shorter. I'm hoping to take my final measurements with the original front end back on this weekend, then swap the steering head bearings and bolt up the RC stuff.

The swap is going ultra slow do to "fixing and powdercoating" most of the items I take off (and find grungy along the way)... and the new born/wife factor!!! I'm lucky if I get 2-3 hours a week on the project.

J.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Superstock

I used the old ball-bearing race, turned upside down, along with a correct fitting pipe. Of course that means the old bearing is about 3/4 seated on the stem, but it clears the inside of the steering neck and the upper race, so I figured I'd just leave it and not risk damaging the new bearings.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:13 PM
SuperSport

Good idea Galaxie.... I actually machined the old race I took off a bit to slide on and off the triples I've been swapping to do measurements and the such... so that piece should be perfect to do the job.

J.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the upper bearing? I ordered the bearings from AllBalls as well for my RC51 forks swap, but ordered the SP2 version while I have the SP1 steerer... DUH! I would like to be able to just get the upper bearing.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:14 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
I have a question on the subject, so I thought I would just piggy back on this thread.

With the tourque spec for the steering head nut, is that meant to be measured with the front end off the ground, or can I just use my front stand under the steering head?

If I am trying to adjust this do I need the clip ons and the top triple off? What about the forks? I wouldn't bother asking, but it isn't very clear from the service manual. Any input is appreciated. Please hurry, my steering head is starting to scare me.

Thanks,

Kendrick
Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Back Marker

iscoot is on a distinguished road
what specs do i need if i am using a CBR1000RR front end? anyone?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Kendrick,

The intent of the manual is to raise the front end by the frame with straps or the like. You need to be able to move the front end back and forth freely to ensure the bearings are not too tight (or loose for that matter). Too loose will beat the new bearings to oblivion. Too tight will cause weaving and strange handling woes.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Squid

kraher is on a distinguished road
Hey all,

First post.

I am in the process of changing the head bearings on my 99 VTR. I purchased the AllBalls bearings that are spoken about earlier.

Forgive me if this is obvious, it has been much too cold outside to get my lazy *** motivated to go inspect.

The lower factory bearings did not have an outer race (unless it is still in the stem). My understanding (by the looks of the FSM) was that the factory bearings rode in a permanent race within the stem. The AllBalls does have a full set of inner race, bearings and outer race for the lower end.

I assume I need to use the outer race with the AllBalls since they are tapered and the factory bearings were not.

Any experience with this? Anything to look out for? Is the outer race still in the bike and I am an idiot? Will the new outer race just slide in, or will it need to be hammered/pressed?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Administrator
World Champion

The bottom bearing is pressed on the steering stem. It rides on the lower race which is pressed into the bottom of the steering head on the frame. The upper bearing slips around the upper part of the steering stem and rides in the race pressed into the upper part of the steering head. It's all held together with a dust cover, an integral castle nut/washer and a locking castle nut. Then the upper triple goes on top of that, followed by the chrome nut on top.

ALWAYS tighten the top nut prior to tightening the upper clamps around the fork tubes.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by kraher
Hey all,

First post.

I am in the process of changing the head bearings on my 99 VTR. I purchased the AllBalls bearings that are spoken about earlier.

Forgive me if this is obvious, it has been much too cold outside to get my lazy *** motivated to go inspect.

The lower factory bearings did not have an outer race (unless it is still in the stem). My understanding (by the looks of the FSM) was that the factory bearings rode in a permanent race within the stem. The AllBalls does have a full set of inner race, bearings and outer race for the lower end.

I assume I need to use the outer race with the AllBalls since they are tapered and the factory bearings were not.

Any experience with this? Anything to look out for? Is the outer race still in the bike and I am an idiot? Will the new outer race just slide in, or will it need to be hammered/pressed?

Thanks.
Yes... the race is still in the stem.... if you look in through the top of the steering head to the bottom you'll notice a small half circle like area removed on the frame where you can knock the outer race out of the steering head. A 12" socket extension and a hammer will do the trick. You will then need to do the same procedure for the upper race, but you have to hit it from the bottom (which can be a PITA). After you have them out, clean the frame up nice, and add a little wheel bearing lube..... then "hammer" in the All ***** races. You want to make sure you get the new ones in evenly... it helps to use something the same diameter as the race to press/hammer them in with that wont mar the surfaces... anything like a round piece of wood, or PVC pipe. Make sure you get them in evenly by looking in the stem, and running you finger around where they are seated.

It's not hard, but helps if you have a 4lb dead blow hammer and the bike strapped up, as if it's just on a jack when you starting using the hammer, you might have problems!!!

J.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
to get the race on/off the stem:

i used my dremel with a cutting wheel to make 1 cut in the old race - used a screwdriver to open ( expand ) it and slide it off.

stem in the freezer and put the new race in boiling water.

seat the new race with the old one. once fully seated use your screwdriver again to remove the old one.

tim
Old 02-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
to get the race on/off the stem:

i used my dremel with a cutting wheel to make 1 cut in the old race - used a screwdriver to open ( expand ) it and slide it off.

stem in the freezer and put the new race in boiling water.

seat the new race with the old one. once fully seated use your screwdriver again to remove the old one.

tim

+1. I also heated the neck of the bike with a blow dryer and put the outer races in the freezer. Makes installing the outer races into the neck a lot easier. Use the old race turned upside down and a correct size socket to drive them home.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Squid

kraher is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info.

The races were indeed in the head of the frame. I also saw that in the FSM shortly after I posted (oops).

All things considered, a pretty simple and enjoyable job.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
+1 for All *****... went through 3 different brands of fork seals on my CR250R dirtbike. all 3 leaked within a year. Ordered the all ***** set and 2 years later i sold the bike and it still wasnt leaking.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
+1 for All *****... went through 3 different brands of fork seals on my CR250R dirtbike. all 3 leaked within a year. Ordered the all ***** set and 2 years later i sold the bike and it still wasnt leaking.
Leaking? Do mean the dust seal? The grease used on the bearings is so thick that it doesn't 'leak' out, so I'm confused.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Leaking? Do mean the dust seal? The grease used on the bearings is so thick that it doesn't 'leak' out, so I'm confused.

uhh.. he said fork seals

Quick Reply: Steering head bearings (wow!)