Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Stator wiring pictures, for your entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:04 AM
PNW Tour Guide
Squid

skifreak is on a distinguished road
Stator wiring pictures, for your entertainment

So while installing the new lightened flywheel, I pulled off the left side cover and discovered this when I undid the stator wiring. So get your "oohhh" and "whoa" ready. Only two of the three wires is attached. The bottom wire in the photo is actually lacking insulation at the connector.
The middle stator wire, in the air, mocking me. This will get a good rewire and crimp/solder/heatshrink. This was a breakdown waiting to happen.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Thats one of the worse ones Ive seen...good job...lol

if you need repair stuff, I know a guy.....

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...25-50-a-34792/
Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 PM
PNW Tour Guide
Squid

PM sent.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Us VFR800 owners have seen all this before! The plug on those is nicely placed to get spray from the rear wheel, which leads to corrosion, high resistance, heating and melting/burning. Chop that connector out, splice in some fresh wire and heatshrink and call it done.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:29 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
You're making me want to take a look at mine.

Or do I really want to? Ignorance is bliss.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by matt365

Life is full of choices..
Do you want to spend an hour or two in the garage knowing there is a tasty burger and drink waiting for you when your done wiring in your new MOFSET RR
Or
Do you want to push your dead bike to the nearest pub and have crappy bar food and overpriced drinks while waiting on the tow truck or friend to come get you. ...THEN spend an hour of spend an hour or two in the garage knowing there is a tasty burger and drink waiting for you when your done wiring in your new MOFSET RR, and battery and maybe more....
Old 04-05-2018, 07:11 AM
PNW Tour Guide
Squid

Originally Posted by Cadbury64
Us VFR800 owners have seen all this before! The plug on those is nicely placed to get spray from the rear wheel, which leads to corrosion, high resistance, heating and melting/burning. Chop that connector out, splice in some fresh wire and heatshrink and call it done.
I have a 1998 VFR800 next to the 1998 Superhawk (wasn't 1998 a great year for Honda?) which is why I knew to check my stator wiring for cancer. I put a new FH020AA reg/rec in my VFR and re-did the wiring when it had Honda Stator Cancer, which is how I knew to check the Hawk's wiring. So on the Hawk, I spliced in a new pigtail with a new connector, with liberal does of dielectric grease. The connector on the bike side was good. It might get a new FH020AA in the future, but current unit puts out a steady 14.2 to 14.5 volts.

Aren't Hondas great for turning all of us into electricians?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:18 AM
PNW Tour Guide
Squid

Originally Posted by matt365

Umm, trust me on this one. The time spent replacing it is MUCH less than the time spent in a backwater town with a broken down bike holding the melted plastic mess that used to be your stator wiring connection. Been there. Not fun.

Ignorance might be bliss, but a solid functioning MOSFET FH020AA is pure joy. And peace of mind. Can't put a price on that. Check it. Now. Seriously.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:31 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skifreak
So while installing the new lightened flywheel, I pulled off the left side cover and discovered this when I undid the stator wiring. So get your "oohhh" and "whoa" ready. Only two of the three wires is attached. The bottom wire in the photo is actually lacking insulation at the connector.
The middle stator wire, in the air, mocking me. This will get a good rewire and crimp/solder/heatshrink. This was a breakdown waiting to happen.
That's pretty nasty. Glad it was caught.