Stator connectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Stator connectors

Stator plugs

For those unaware, there are TWO charging system connectors you need to check, clean, protect and consider replacing with a better modern sealed connector.

Most know about the one at the RR, but many it seams forget about the one at the back of the gas tank.

That’s heat damage on the close up pic.

Connector set getting replaced with a sealed modern connector

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-09-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Hmm, Bosch series Kompakt 1 is only rated at 10 amps so that not going to work.
Might have to go to the DEUTSCH DTP series
Old 05-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Erik, Any luck on a higher amperage connector? If you find some let me (us) know. Mine shows a slight discoloration due to heat and would like to do a bit of preventive maintenance. For the time being, I cleaned it, re-tensioned the female connectors and applied some dielectric grease. Thanks again for your contributions to our forum.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CaryDG
Erik, Any luck on a higher amperage connector? If you find some let me (us) know. Mine shows a slight discoloration due to heat and would like to do a bit of preventive maintenance. For the time being, I cleaned it, re-tensioned the female connectors and applied some dielectric grease. Thanks again for your contributions to our forum.
Cary I have a high quality OEM style Stator connector for the RR side coming, and can source a OEM style stator connector for the stator side.

The sealed high Amp connector has been located.... the issue is the only way to make low resistance high strength pin connections to the stator wires is with a special crimper for that brand/ style pin. There just is not cheap alternative.

The OEM connector on my stator harness lasted 18 years and is still useable..... If I had remembered to look at it sooner, clean it, use some dielectric grease it likely would have lasted the life of the bike.

So, while I have the $900 crimper needed for the $29.00 high amp sealed connector set (it is cool though machined sold pins and sockets, gold plated ) its unrealistic and impractical to swap over for most.

The solution is a good one.

RR kits will soon be plug and play with the RR cabling running all the way to the stator connector. The installer will have to look at the stator connector that way as well, clean as needed and use the included dielectric grease when plugging in the new stator connector.

As an additional option, kit buyers can order a replacement stator side connector body if there si is heat damaged, or if the connector body, terminals and wires are damaged, order a complete connector set that I will now stock. WIth an additional option to have the new connector come as a pigtail, as many I think are more likely to make a decent solder joint then proper crimp with the .250 brass terminals that are in that plug.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-09-2019 at 05:52 AM.