Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Some Maintenance on the Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Squid

Grasshopper is on a distinguished road
Some Maintenance on the Hawk

I bought my Superhawk in April of this year with 24 k on it. It's got a little over 30 now. So I pulled the valve covers and check my clearances and all is well within spec.

My question is about the initial responsiveness. If I just blip the throttle it seems like it wants to fall on it's face. It idles fine with no issues. So I'm going to pull the carbs tonight and take a peek to see if everything is working properly and clean.

It idles fine and if you rev it just a little bit and then blip it its fine but only off idle when you give it a quick blip it wants to fall on it's face. It pulls all the way to the top just fine, the midrange seems fine as well with no noticable flat spots.

Stock carbs, stock headers with dual stain tunes.

Is there base line carb settings anywhere on the board here for dual staintunes?

Not sure what kind of air filter until I get home tonight, that may be it. I never check to see how dirty the air filter is.. LOL!

Last edited by Grasshopper; 01-24-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
If the previous owner installed the slip-ons, it may already have some carb work. I would suggest removing, disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the carbs. The pilot/slow jets especially get plugged up. You may need to soak them in carb spray, then blow out with compressed air. At the same time you can check to see what jets, mains and pilot/slow jets, and needles are in there.

If the air filter is not stock, you may want to get a stock one. Also check all the vacuum lines for cracks and proper installation.