Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

So I've been thinking about the VTR's fuel capacity issue...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Isn't all that space under the tail where the radiator goes?
Is that to keep your butt warm on the cold mornings?

Kicker don't stop posting just because Tweety doesn't think it's worth it. I see both sides. I want more range but is it really needed as I'm ready to get off the bike at 100 miles anyway.

Another thought I've had is to buy another tank to cut apart and raise the top of it. I've seen one that just had a section out of the top raised but it looked kind of dumb because it didn't follow any of the factory lines. I thought about trying to build a new tank that followed the factory lines just came up higher for more capacity. Yeah it'd be a lot of work but that's also part of the fun of it.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Squid

kickerfox is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS

Kicker don't stop posting just because Tweety doesn't think it's worth it. I see both sides. I want more range but is it really needed as I'm ready to get off the bike at 100 miles anyway.

Another thought I've had is to buy another tank to cut apart and raise the top of it. I've seen one that just had a section out of the top raised but it looked kind of dumb because it didn't follow any of the factory lines. I thought about trying to build a new tank that followed the factory lines just came up higher for more capacity. Yeah it'd be a lot of work but that's also part of the fun of it.
If the airbox wasn't so large you could use that area too. I agree on raising the top of the tank. I've seen it and it didn't look right.

I'd like the range because there's some roads in Michigan I'd love to take it on but it's 200mi between towns.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Yeah 200 miles is a bit much to try to pack enough fuel on your back to get that far. You'd essentially be packing a complete separate fuel tank on your back! LOL! Get a buddy to ride with you that has something with a bigger tank and siphon some to yours half way through!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
How about this, get a set of Corbin Beetle Bags, convert them into fuel tanks. 14L on each side, that should get you around 300 miles total.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Now there is an idea, though those things are kind of ugly. But I'm sure they are functional!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
And it'll solve your inability to wheelie issue (if you have one).
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kickerfox
If the airbox wasn't so large you could use that area too.
Ok, I'm going to be an internet ***** here, but Honda would probably have figured that one out! I'm sure if they had a smaller airbox, they would have filled the space with the fuel tank

Shoot, they were probably frustrated with how much volume the airbox took up to run correctly as well...
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I was just about to comment about wheelies 7moore7 you took the lead in any case, brain storming is great, I think this is the forum with the most creative people, got to love that!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Squid

Ok, I'm going to be an internet ***** here, but Honda would probably have figured that one out! I'm sure if they had a smaller airbox, they would have filled the space with the fuel tank

Shoot, they were probably frustrated with how much volume the airbox took up to run correctly as well...
It can run without it if you jet it right. Not sure why it's as big as it is. The damn thing can probably flow 200hp. lol Maybe to silence the intake. EPA rules and all.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kickerfox
It can run without it if you jet it right.
Are you sure about that??
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Are you sure about that??
I guess the correct statement is "tune" it. It's just an engine.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It has more to do with the carbs than the engine. If you install a different type of carb, yeah you could do it but getting CV carbs (especially one this big) to run without an airbox is not as easy as it might sound.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
It has more to do with the carbs than the engine. If you install a different type of carb, yeah you could do it but getting CV carbs (especially one this big) to run without an airbox is not as easy as it might sound.
I'll fuel inject it then. It should have been EFI in '98 anyways. Better efficiency, tuneability, and more room for gas. winwinwin.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
FCR* carbs or transplant the EFI of a late model VTR engined Varadero XL1000V - a very useful 200+ mile range if you also fit the bikes big 25 litre tank.

FCR = http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/vie...hp?f=8&t=23295

EFI = http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/vie...hp?f=9&t=18432

Last edited by Wicky; 06-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS

Actually GTS, I can see both sides too... It's just that kickerfox is making a wee bit to generalized statements... So I can't help but poke a stick in his spinning wheels to see the results...

Yes, you can make a custom alu tank, I have considered it myself... But no, you won't make one for even close to $100... The only way you get close is a one off that you collects favours from people, or do it yourself... Not something you can replicate and sell...

Yes, you can make the VTR run without the airbox... But it's a royal PITA to get it running close to properly, and it takes a very knowleadgeable tuner and a couple of hours on a dyno to get even close... Not something 98 out 100 guys can do in their own garage... The reason I know is that I'm that 99'th guy that has a dyno in my garage, and I can make it run reasonably, but have long since given up getting it to run the way I want it too without an airbox... So if that 100'th guy steps up, I'll gladly applaude him, but he hasn't been found yet... But there's plenty of companies that are glad to take your money to make the bike run "so-so"...

Yes, you can make the bike FI... There are examples of it being done, and I'm halfway decided to make an attempt myself... But there simply is no way you will see noticable gains in mileage from that... With my bike, I have the fueling bang on for about 80-85 percent of the RPM range, a tad rich for about 10 more percent, and friggin awful for the last unusable parts... So figure at best you have a potential to get an gain in 15% of the fuel range, and at best 5 percent or less gain over that part... Net gain, 15% of 5% on a full tank... Say 2-3% on a full tank if you are really lucky... So how many miles is that then?

I'm not saying it can't be done... I'm not saying it won't make a difference... And I'm certainly not saying to stop brainstorming...

I am however saying take a dose of reality and mix it in with the googly eyed dreamy ideas... There's a reason that noboy have come up with a sub $100 fix for the fuel/mileage annoyance... There simply isn't one that cheap and easy... There are fixes that cost money, and there are fixes that are cheap and "ugly"... Ie swap the tank or modify it... But so far there are none that are both...

The best one that I have figured out so far, is to get a 19L tank from a newer bike since I'm in Sweden (Europe), so there are such bikes around... That will simply bolt on, no modifications... And then, with that in place, swap to FI, and the net total should be a reasonable range for me, with the original lines intact and the weight where I want it... The only problem is that most bikes that get wrecked, the tanks are either damaged, or cost close to new price, since people are looking for them... So sofar, I'm in a holding pattern... I'd do a VFR swap if it didn't mean cutting into my Sargent seat to make the join look nice...

But anybody want a new 19L tank, I'll be happy to buy one at the dealer and ship it at cost, no profit... But trust me, it's no $100 price tag...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-19-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
And it'll solve your inability to wheelie issue (if you have one).
lol

I'm in the "just do the damn VFR swap" camp...we're lucky theres a gas tank that will fit with so little modification
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

OK Tweety so what does a new 19L tank cost? And what are you seeing used ones go for? Also is it just the bottom of the tank that's different? Just thinking if you found one that the top was smashed and could get it for cheap, it may be easier to cut the seams apart and swap a good top onto a good bottom and have a bigger tank.

BTW I love your matter-of-fact thought process and posts. LOL!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GTS
OK Tweety so what does a new 19L tank cost? And what are you seeing used ones go for? Also is it just the bottom of the tank that's different? Just thinking if you found one that the top was smashed and could get it for cheap, it may be easier to cut the seams apart and swap a good top onto a good bottom and have a bigger tank.

BTW I love your matter-of-fact thought process and posts. LOL!
Last when I checked for another forum member, the price new was around 5000 SEK, which at todays exchange is around $716 for the bare tank... Around another couple of hundreds for the petcock and such parts needed if you have a pre 01 model, but those you can just as easily get used or new in the US at the same or better prices... The 01-> got the "upgrade" in such parts in the US, so on a newer bike, you can just swap... Or find used...

With shipping, I think it will end up around $1000 for the bare tank new...

Nope, it's not the bottom alone that's different... The tank is a bit wider at the front, which meant new clip-ons for 01->, and the shape around the knee bulges is a bit different, with the side wings being a bit more pronounced... That combined with moving the petcock and lowering the bottom nets out to 3L or about .8 US gallons difference... And it looks the same unless you see the two bikes side by side, and look close...

Non-dented used usually go for around the equivalent to $400-500, and dented for around $150 and up depending on the amount of dents...

The matter of fact statements could partially come from that I have already considered most of the listed options for a couple of years... To me, this is old news...
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Well I guess if I ever get to clain the tank on insruance then I'll be giving you a call! LOL! Do you know if someone here in the US has the part number if they could order it through the normal Honda process?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
The best one that I have figured out so far, is to get a 19L tank from a newer bike since I'm in Sweden (Europe), so there are such bikes around... That will simply bolt on, no modifications... And then, with that in place, swap to FI, and the net total should be a reasonable range for me, with the original lines intact and the weight where I want it... The only problem is that most bikes that get wrecked, the tanks are either damaged, or cost close to new price, since people are looking for them... So sofar, I'm in a holding pattern... I'd do a VFR swap
Tweety - What were the years on the VFR tank conversion again??. Not to be a broken record.. Just to bring that information -on to the table..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GTS
Well I guess if I ever get to clain the tank on insruance then I'll be giving you a call! LOL! Do you know if someone here in the US has the part number if they could order it through the normal Honda process?
Haven't got a clue... So far nobody's tried it... The 19L tank was never offered on the US market, so it won't be stocked as spares, but I don't see why they shouldn't be able to order it...

I'll gladly dig up my notes on the part-no for various colors for you if you like, might take me a while though...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:14 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
Tweety - What were the years on the VFR tank conversion again??. Not to be a broken record.. Just to bring that information -on to the table..
All VFR from 98 when the 800 was introduced up to present works just fine... The tank is identical for all years, but there are a few years where the color was the same or very, very close... Can't remember those of the top of my head though...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
You don't need to "strain the brain" .. Answered the question perfectly..
So VFR 800cc 1998-thru -2001 are carb'ed. so that will work fine for me..
Thank you
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
SuperBike

VTR1000F2 19L tank expansion mod :-)

HONDA motorcycle 2002 VTR1000F2 FIRE STORM FUEL TANK - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda | Honda Motorcycles

Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
You don't need to "strain the brain" .. Answered the question perfectly..
So VFR 800cc 1998-thru -2001 are carb'ed. so that will work fine for me..
Thank you
Even the newer gen bikes have an identical tank aside from color, so you could get a 2012 year tank if you like...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

Wicky, that link is to a site harbouring a trojan... I'd remove it if I where you... But the price seems right... 719€ so it's at $913 plus fee's and shipping today...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM
SuperBike

Works fine on my mac - with no warnings from my browsers saying there's anything untoward at that site. Are you sure you're not getting a false positive from any legitimate server side scripting going on.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/hondaoriginalparts.com

Last edited by Wicky; 06-19-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Interesting. Those part numbers don't look anything like our part numbers here in the US. Ours are a 12345-ABC-123 format.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wicky
Works fine on my mac - with no warnings from my browsers saying there's anything untoward at that site. Are you sure you're not getting a false positive from any legitimate server side scripting going on.

hondaoriginalparts.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software
It's likely to be in the sites ad's wich means it's unlikely you get a hit on the site advisor... But it did hit my PC...
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GTS
Interesting. Those part numbers don't look anything like our part numbers here in the US. Ours are a 12345-ABC-123 format.
As are ours... Those are likely to be that sites internal numbers...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I've been thinking about the VTR's fuel capacity issue...