Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Smoke after hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Squid

gpzturbo is on a distinguished road
Smoke after hard braking

Hello all. Today I was enjoying the 69 degree weather darting around town on my Superhawk and I had one of those o-sh*t yellow light hard stops. After, my bike smoked out the tail pipes and smelled like burning oil. It lasted only about 5 seconds while idleing at the red light and didn't sputter or stall. It seemed to ride fine. Even though I didn't seem to do anything but smoke and stink I'm still concerned. I ride my bike almost everyday and I ride it hard and I stop it hard. This never happened before... Anybody ever run into this?

Last edited by gpzturbo; 04-16-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Check your oil level. It might be high, causing the crankcase breather to spew oil into the airbox. Next, check your airbox. It probably has oil in it.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Squid

dustinwild
I just had one of those moments, and the bike started to spit and sputter after I got back on the gas. Kinda sounded like it was missing on one of the cylinders.. I didn't notice any smoke, yet I wasn't watching.but it ran like crap for about 3 minutes after it happened. Does anyone know what this might be?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dustinwild
I just had one of those moments, and the bike started to spit and sputter after I got back on the gas. Kinda sounded like it was missing on one of the cylinders.. I didn't notice any smoke, yet I wasn't watching.but it ran like crap for about 3 minutes after it happened. Does anyone know what this might be?
If yours is a 97-98 then it is likely the well known carb fix issue. Go to Greg's site: http://superhawk996.net/

then under VTR1000F choose "Performance and Mods" and then VTR Carb fix.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Check your oil level. It might be high, causing the crankcase breather to spew oil into the airbox. Next, check your airbox. It probably has oil in it.
+1 and remember you check the level with the bike vertical not on it's kickstand. (if you fill it till it shows full on the kickstand you for sure over filled it)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, it does sound like the oil into the airbox thing. I would check the oil & move on with your life. No big deal.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
I usually have a smoke after, what did you call it, hard braking? Here in the midwest we call it something else.........
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Squid

dustinwild
Lazn, it's a 99.. But it sounds like it could be that. I will change the breather lines and see what happens.. I remember now it was happening on the track. We have a 1 mile long straight with a 120km/hr turn at the end, and once I could brake hard for that turn, it would spit and sputter for the next 4 or 5 corners, then start to run fine again.. I thought it was just low fuel, and I was starving the carbs, cause it only started to happen later in the day.. Also around the same time that I really started to wait till last minute to brake..