Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

sixth gear not working.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Squid

asti is on a distinguished road
sixth gear not working.

Hi,
just seeing if anyone might know what is wrong with my hawk, when i put it into sixth gear, i get a loud clattering noise from engine, and start to lose acceleration, then as soon as i drop back into 5th its ok again, all other gears work fine, , bike has covered 58 thou miles, could this have some thing to do with it?, could it be something simple or shall i just look for a new engine.
Hope someone can help...
Old 03-10-2007, 02:16 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
That's not good!!!

It sounds to me as if you have broken sixth gear. I can't think of another reason for your troubles other than a broken gear. If this is the problem then it is going to be a big job to fix.

I would try putting the bike on a stand, and seeing if you can rotate the engine whilst it is in gear, by turning the rear wheel. Remove the spark plugs first to make it easier. This might help to show up the problem, if you are able to turn the engine over. You might not be able to , as I have never done it in a high gear.

Someoene else might have a better idea.

I have not heard of gearbox problems with the VTR, so maybe you have just been unlucky.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
i agree it sounds like youve blown 6th gear. it will be cheaper and easier to get a used engine imo. there is usually one or two on ebay. or now you have an reason to pull it all apart and rebuild and do some mods on the way
Old 03-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Squid

asti is on a distinguished road
had a bad feeling that 6th gear was knackered, i'll start looking for a new engine, and take this one to bits in the meantime.
Thanks for the replys....
Old 03-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
The fact that it shifts into sixth fine means the dogs on the gear are fine but the teeth are f'd up. Don't ride it anymore, metal chunks will tear up the rest or your motor.