Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Running engine w/ fuel tank off

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Running engine w/ fuel tank off

Hey Everyone,

I've noticed a number of posts talking about running the engine with the fuel tank off either w/ an auxiliary fuel tank or w/ the comment "there is enough fuel in the float bowls to last a little while..."

I just wanted to comment that I'm not sure why people disconnect the tank in the first place. I don't disconnect my tank unless I actually need to take the carbs *out*. The bike comes with a U-shaped tool that looks like a double-ended hex wrench, but it is actually a fuel tank lifter. The long end goes in the frame, and the short end goes through the tank where the rear tank bolt came out.

I unbolt the front & rear, lift the rear up and put it on this tool, and then I put the seat back and flip the tank up vertical and let it rest on the seat. The drain is at the back, which becomes the bottom in this position, so as long as I have more than 1/2 gal of fuel, I can run the engine right off the tank even with the airbox out. Not that I make a habit of doing so, my point here is that you can save yourself a lot of work and mess by not disconnecting the tank most of the time. I shimmed my carbs and did my TPS mod w/out disconnecting the tank.

Sometimes I do strap the tank vertical w/ a shock cord from the lip to one of the tail-lights to make sure it doesn't fall. But actually I bought a heavy-duty square u-bolt from the hardware store that is threaded, and now I use that w/ a nut on each end, and I don't even need the shock cord, it is totally solid and stable on the U-bolt, even when on the side stand.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Personally, I don't use that U shaped tool. It seems like an accidental bump of the tank could have it slide off the bike. I remove the two front bolts and just loosen the rear bolt, but leave it installed. Then use a tie down on the rear frame and a link that runs through one of the bolt holes in the front of the tank.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Cool - does that always give you enough access?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

I've pulled the carbs out of their boots and changed the needle settings several times this way.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by avramd
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to comment that I'm not sure why people disconnect the tank in the first place. I don't disconnect my tank unless I actually need to take the carbs *out*. The bike comes with a U-shaped tool that looks like a double-ended hex wrench, but it is actually a fuel tank lifter. The long end goes in the frame, and the short end goes through the tank where the rear tank bolt came out.

Hey, buddy...
If you are doing something simple like changing plugs and/or air filter, this will suffice. However, when you are doing something more in depth like carb sync, carb work or valve adjustment, it's better to take it off for a number of reasons.

1 - The tank in the way can be FRUSTRATING as hell and the time that you would spend working around the tank makes it well worth just to take the 2 minutes that it takes to remove it.

2 - When you do in-depthwork sometimes you can get sloppy in your tool-handling techniques. i'd much rather take the 2 minutes to remove the tank then spend hundereds on a new paint job.

3 - You ever seen a SuperChicken go down the street with no tank or fairings? Man, that is effing cool!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Greg, I like the idea, esp since I keep mine full, so I'll need to pinch the overflow line. Thanx.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Gregw
Personally, I don't use that U shaped tool. It seems like an accidental bump of the tank could have it slide off the bike. I remove the two front bolts and just loosen the rear bolt, but leave it installed. Then use a tie down on the rear frame and a link that runs through one of the bolt holes in the front of the tank.
what happened to the pic? I'm glad I saw it. Awesome idea and it works great. I put a little rubber cap over the shock bolt to protect the tank and lifted it. Sturdy as hell. Thanks for posting your idea.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM
MotoGP

I want to express my appreciation for this great method of lifting the tank. It so easy. Awesome. Made syncing the carbs so easy. Didn't need a special tool to turn 7mm screw to sync carbs; just reach in there with an open end wrench and turn. It is rock solid and makes removing/installing tank hoses a snap. Tank was full of fuel too; just had to put a little plastic bowl under the overflow tubing. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

My pleasure. I don't know much about these bikes, so I'm glad I can help out occasionally.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 AM
MotoGP

My pleasure. I don't know much about these bikes, so I'm glad I can help out occasionally.
Having busted the thumb joints on both hands, it's difficult to work in tight spaces more suitable for small handed surgeons. visibility and access are much improved. so I get a great big warm feeling just looking at that tank strapped up and out of the way when i need to get in there for something.

as far as helping others, I believe that just posting our opinions/thoughts/ideas/knowledge has benefits well beyond what can be measured.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Squid

c-dub is on a distinguished road
This is great!!! I am going back in for jetting changes and thinking how can I color code all these friggin lines, or whatever to make this easier the next time... now its game on! Thanks so much for this post.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Squid

can you provide any more specifics on the link you mention for the front?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
A bungie cord doubled over (one hook through each bolt hole) works great when lifting the tank front and tying it up to rafters in the garage. Not so sure about tying it back at the subframe though... you would definitely need to put a towel or something soft between the backs of the hooks and the tank at the very least.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by c-dub
can you provide any more specifics on the link you mention for the front?
I use one of these since I have a few inna garage. I put the U around one of the holes where the tank bolts to the frame. Then feed the screw from the top and tighten it. That is just one way. You could probably use an eye bolt with a nut, or maybe a piece of rope. As Angry mentioned, you'll want something to protect the tank from scuffing. I used a towel that you can see in the photo. Another thing to keep in mind is not putting too much tension on the tie-down. You don't want to tweak the tank tang.
Attached Thumbnails Running engine w/ fuel tank off-link.jpg  
Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf
A bungie cord doubled over (one hook through each bolt hole) works great when lifting the tank front and tying it up to rafters in the garage. Not so sure about tying it back at the subframe though... you would definitely need to put a towel or something soft between the backs of the hooks and the tank at the very least.
the strap works like a charm. I used elec tape for the hooks and a piece of foam rubber under the strap at the front of the tank.

I don't know why we keep losing the pics, but anyway a small ratchet strap works great. You have to how to hook up the strap in the ratchet so that you can do a quick release with the right hand while you hold the front with you left hand. I can explain if anyone doesn't know how.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
I don't know why we keep losing the pics
Strange, I have no prob seeing them.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

Strange, I have no prob seeing them.
that's weird. i can see the one you just posted but not the earlier ones, just a little blue rectangle.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Hmmm, I see my first pic, plus the two times you posted it (total 3). Are you only having problems in this thread? I wonder if it is a setting in your User CP. Under "Edit Option", scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and see if "Show Images" is checked.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Superstock

I'm seeing all the images fine as well. (original bike plus two quoted) and the little u connector.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Maybe the photo can't make it to PA due to bad weather. Could also be a SoCal yellow bike thing.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Superstock

Pretty sure the user manual under the seat says something about the yellow model getting more web photo bandwidth.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

LOL, a lot of them smilies be yellow too.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

Hmmm, I see my first pic, plus the two times you posted it (total 3). Are you only having problems in this thread? I wonder if it is a setting in your User CP. Under "Edit Option", scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and see if "Show Images" is checked.
I just checked this and it's okay. I'm wondering if it has something to do with google chrome? all i'm seeing is that little rectangular symbol at the bottom of the first smilies column on the right. If you click on it, the html reads spam like so----
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
MotoGP

Must have something to do with settings in Google Chrome spam settings because if I access website via internet explorer, i can see all the pics. Now i just gotta screw with that. thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Squid

_lunch_box_ is on a distinguished road
my tank is not even bolted down in the back......anyone think this is a bad thing i've never had a problem with it so it's really easy to take my tank off just the two screws up top
Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by _lunch_box_
my tank is not even bolted down in the back......anyone think this is a bad thing i've never had a problem with it so it's really easy to take my tank off just the two screws up top
do you see the holes where you could slide a 3" bolt through?
are the rubbers still there?
put a bolt through there from left to right with with a nylon lock nut and tighten with care and gently, relying on the lock nut and not on tightness for security.

this bolt is significant to hold tank secure, gas lines and petcock hooked just under the rear, and for ease of access as pictures above show unless you like doing extra work and working on things difficult to see and access.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Squid

I use one of these since I have a few inna garage. I put the U around one of the holes where the tank bolts to the frame. Then feed the screw from the top and tighten it. That is just one way. You could probably use an eye bolt with a nut, or maybe a piece of rope. As Angry mentioned, you'll want something to protect the tank from scuffing. I used a towel that you can see in the photo. Another thing to keep in mind is not putting too much tension on the tie-down. You don't want to tweak the tank tang.
Thanks Greg W - since there is over a foot of snow pending arrival tomorrow, I hope to spend quality time in the garage where I have my hawk, my TV, emergency beverage fridge...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

Maybe the photo can't make it to PA due to bad weather. Could also be a SoCal yellow bike thing.
LOL, a lot of them smilies be yellow too.
you have all kinds of plausible solutions, don't ya mr funny man. It would more likely be the opposite because with all the smog ya have out there in LA, you really need that high vis paint job to keep from being run over.

Seriously, i had to uninstall google chrome and reinstall to see that beautiful yellow chicken. I love yellow cause it matches the color of my teeth and that streak down the middle of my back.

Actually, I had my '84 Autocar painted that color before yellow was popular and when i get the hawk painted, it will be yellow.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
with all the smog ya have out there in LA, you really need that high vis paint job to keep from being run over.
Unfortunately not smog, but fog in the heads of the cagers.

Glad you found the problem. Otherwise, how is Chrome?

Last edited by Gregw; 12-18-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 AM
MotoGP

Unfortunately not smog, but fog in the heads of the cagers.

Glad you found the problem. Otherwise, how is Chrome?
LA----------i remember spending several days at a time on many occasions trying to find a load back to the right coast, burning/watering eyes from the pollution/smog/traffic in the mornings, shots from my 32 directed at a persistent queer's car at 3am, chasing a bunch of local crazies on my 1000 interceptor up the coast to monterey at night and then seeing the cliffs i could have went off of in the daylight, staying over with a dispatcher/drug dealer and his wife who needed her own dealer just to keep her supplied with that snowy white powder--- some wild-*** times out there.

Chrome-----I am a fan of google because it's a user friendly browser for the techno challenged. check out the link below.

http://www.drostdesigns.com/google-c...fits-and-uses/

Quick Reply: Running engine w/ fuel tank off