Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Rough Idle - Video of problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Squid

bcman5 is on a distinguished road
Rough Idle - Video of problem

Hello Guys and Gals,

First time posting, long time lurker. I've had Ashleigh for 3 years in July and she has 12.5k miles. She's had this idle problem for a while and I decided to finally address it. I found this youtube video of a guy who's having the EXACT same issue I'm having.

I was reading the comments and there were a few ideas floating around:
  • Regulator rectifier (I think a previous owner had already replaced this with a beefier rectifier)
  • Carb Sync
  • Full Carb Clean
  • Spark Plugs
  • Ignition Coil

I was hoping some of you kind people could chime in and give your insight on this problem. I'm just trying to decide which to try first. I would consider myself a mechanically inclined individual but, to be honest, carbs frighten me....so I'm hoping I don't need to take apart the carbs.

Last edited by bcman5; 05-16-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Squid

thielb is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum! Those are all very reasonable suggestions and good items to start with. Another one to add to the list is bad choke fittings (recently dealt with this myself). Even if they aren't visibly damaged, talk to Jack Flash about his brass replacements. Get his fuel screws while you're at it too. Great cheap upgrades and the choke fittings have turned out to be the culprit for quite a view odd behaviors around here it seems.

Grab the manual and clean those carbs!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:50 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
That sounds like a mild case of carb fart / cough

Some people get it, some don't. Some folk do the TPS and carb balance with a twiddle of the mixture settings, but then some raise the idle a notch to help prevent it stalling in low speed corners.

Is your bike standard or modded?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Those are small carb farts. Large carb farts have been known to actually shut the bike off. Usually it is fixed by syncing the carbs. But sometimes it gets a little more involved. Start with a carb sync and see if that helps.

Here's a thread with one if our members syncing the carbs and setting the idle. Shows the tach and engine sounds.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-inside-33083/
Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Squid

Thank you for the insights! I've been doing some research on carb syncs and I feel pretty comfortable with it now. I found a pdf that does a good job going through the steps. I'm thinking about reaching out to Jack Flash about his choke fittings and fuel screws. I'm planning on tackling the carb sync in the next few days. I'll follow up on how it went regardless of the outcome!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

For the brass nipple and washer that you need for the front head, buy the parts from www.Partzilla.com

Here's the factory part names, part numbers and prices for you:
Joint, Booster Part # 16214-MB0-000 $3.06
Washer, Sealing (5MM) Part # 90452-323-000 $1.09

Look up "two bottle" method for syncing the carbs. It's cheap (just a couple bucks to make one), its easy and you dont have the chance of your bike sucking in the fluid if your bike is way out of sync.

Little tip, when you install the brass nipple a.k.a. Joint Booster, take a small dab of grease and put it on the washer, then put the washer on the nipple. The grease will keep the washer from falling off the nipple as you install it.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-18-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Nipples need grease? Get you mind out of the gutter!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
For the brass nipple and washer that you need for the front head, buy the parts from Partzilla: OEM Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, Marine Parts

Here's the factory part names, part numbers and prices for you:
Joint, Booster Part # 16214-MB0-000 $3.06
Washer, Sealing (5MM) Part # 90452-323-000 $1.09

Look up "two bottle" method for syncing the carbs. It's cheap (just a couple bucks to make one), its easy and you dont have the chance of your bike sucking in the fluid if your bike is way out of sync.

Little tip, when you install the brass nipple a.k.a. Joint Booster, take a small dab of grease and put it on the washer, then put the washer on the nipple. The grease will keep the washer from falling off the nipple as you install it.
Thank you for the tip! I was trying to figure out how I was going to find the adapter. I'll call into my local honda dealer and see if they have any in stock. I was planning on doing the two-bottle method. I'm going to hunt for the supplies tonight.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Before you buy anything from Honda, have you checked to make sure the previous owner hasn't already set up your bike to have the carbs synced?