Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Replacing the front tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Speedbump
Squid

Norcalblake is on a distinguished road
Replacing the front tire

Well it time to due tires for the first time on my bike, and i havent decided on a safe ways to remove the front wheel. my previous bike was an enduro so i used my rear pitbull stand and an automotive floor jack underneath the motor on the frame to do the front, but that possible on the SH... not exactly willing to put a floor jack to the front cylinder. so i was thinking of trying to make a wooden support for the front forks and use the pitbull rear, or i can use an automotive to post lift to lift the steering head by a strap and the rear stand. Any sugjestions.. how have you guys been doing it other than buying a front stand
Old 08-31-2008, 12:41 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I use a swingarm stand for stability in the rear then raise the front with a garage floor jack (using a wooden block on the jack disc) under the oil pan. Simple, quick on hand tools. If the stepson is in the house, then I tie off the frame to a ceiling support in case he gets clumsy again. Yes, there's a story there, but that's another thread.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Back Marker

DrPepper is on a distinguished road
i just put my oil pan on a large block of wood lifts front enough to do work
Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Speedbump
Squid

Im almost scared to ask about that story.. thanks guys, i was just a lil nervous about lifting from the rear and the middle with nothing up front, but if its stable enough for you guys i should be good to go thank ya
Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i use a multiuse floor stand i.e.: atv's, bikes and other similar vehicles. its always worked out great for me.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:45 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Ratchet straps to an overhead beam, or if your garage is finished, then to the garage door rails. Outside, a ratchet strap to a tree or swingset.

Just did this at a friends garage. Used the garage door rails, and a stand in the rear.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Speedbump
Squid

ya another jack is out of the question.. im already using the cycle gear credit card for the tires, just dont have the cash flow right now... auto repair industry is a little sluggish right now
Old 08-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
could pick up a cheap front bike stand for under the forks
Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Squid

NWbrew is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Death Cattle
i use a multiuse floor stand i.e.: atv's, bikes and other similar vehicles. its always worked out great for me.
I have one of those jacks, could you (or anyone, really) post an explanation or pic of how you have the hawk sitting on it? Mine's pretty wide and puts a lot of weight on the pipes.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Here's a work stand designed by Kai Ju...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=12131
Old 09-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Ratchet straps to an overhead beam, or if your garage is finished, then to the garage door rails. Outside, a ratchet strap to a tree or swingset.

Just did this at a friends garage. Used the garage door rails, and a stand in the rear.
Ive done that before and it actually wouked out well!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Norcalblake
Well it time to due tires for the first time on my bike, and i havent decided on a safe ways to remove the front wheel. my previous bike was an enduro so i used my rear pitbull stand and an automotive floor jack underneath the motor on the frame to do the front, but that possible on the SH... not exactly willing to put a floor jack to the front cylinder. so i was thinking of trying to make a wooden support for the front forks and use the pitbull rear, or i can use an automotive to post lift to lift the steering head by a strap and the rear stand. Any sugjestions.. how have you guys been doing it other than buying a front stand

Cherry picker ( if ya got one ) and a 2000 lbs hoop strap under the frame and over the top of the coolant recovery bottle (thats close to CG) Or if ya got sliders intalled loop the strap under the sliders ...