Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Squid

Paplyph is on a distinguished road
rear tire

I have a 2000 VTR1000F. Currently I am running on a 180/55ZR17 and I am wondering if I can fit a 190/55ZR17. It seems like a trivial question, but I do not have anyone I could ask personally and would like to know before I purchase a new tire set online. Appreciate any info on the subject. Thanx!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
yes you can. thats what i run. changes the geometry a bit. some people love the 190's (me) an others on here hate them. use he search function and you can see all kinds of debates for and against running a 190 over the stock 180
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
From what I've read IIRC on here it sounds like the 180 falls better into corners, and the 190 makes turns more sluggish. Again it's all all about profile and tire pressure too.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
My question is why do you want too?
The VTR falls into corners nicely with a 180 and fresh suspension.
Some brands have a different shape to others and even tyres (tires) from the same brand are different. The PR2 is a flatter profile to the PR3 and for me the 3 is a much sharper trye to corner with for example.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
This can became like the oil threads, to put it simply, they both work, but the best combination is to follow with the manufacture recommendation for the size of the rim, which in this case would be 180, if you change your rim to 6 inches, than it would be 190 as best combination.

Other than that, like jscobey mentioned, it is up to you and your preference, looks, performance or whatever have you ;-)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:39 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
since having posted that i "love" the 190 rear, i installed a 900rr swinger brace and the brace gets very close to the rear tire. so close that i cant put on my tire warmers properly. i basically have to have them going all the way around the wheel except not connecting and skip the part of the tire under the brace like in the picture below.

and it got me thinking that with a stock 180 rear the warmers would prolly fit. then that got my thinking as to why i went to a 190 in the first place. i know the PO ran them because one was on the bike when i bought it. my first replacement set i got a 180 and i liked the very noticable quicker "flickability" my next set i asked for a 180 and when i got my bike there was a 190 on it. i really didnt mind it and ive just got 190s ever since.

im gonna go back to 180's for the warmers/brace interference but i also think honda knows what they are doing when they put a tire on a bike. although im not so sure why they recomend 36F 42R psi becomes for me it is extremly hard. i do run the 36/42 pressure for commuting but in the canyons that rediculous. i run about 33/35-34/36. track i run 30/30.

anyways im ranting. id try the 190s and see if you prefer them. but IMO the 180s are a better choice for our bike. its not like the hawk is unstable at high speeds so i dont know why that stability is a worth while trade off for flickability.

another option that i wonder if anyone has tried for my warmer/ brace issue is a 190/50 rear. it actually works out to be an even lower profile than a 180/55. but i dont know how that would make the bike handle... it seems like that would just worsen the steering and flickability even more so than a 190/55 already does. thoughts on dealing with the issue? i could also go down 1 tooth in the front for a longer wheelbase... but i didnt the the brace mod to start moving my bike backwards in other areas of performance.... the other thing is new chains and how close the wheel will be at that point. currently my chain and sprockets are pretty new. still in the "new" section on the little sticker on the adjuster. ive only had to adjust the chain small amounts maybe twice so its close to as far forward as it can get but still not much room between the tire and brace as it is now. does anyone else with a 900RR brace have these issues? and how does a 180 tire work in terms of clearence? do you ever use warmers with the brace?

oh and sorry OP for the partial thread jack although its mostly on topic!
Name:  image-19.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  125.3 KB

Last edited by jscobey; 03-18-2014 at 11:48 PM.