Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Rear brake mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Squid

forncett is on a distinguished road
Rear brake mounting?

I recently found while sitting on an incline & applying the rear brake to hold the bike steady that my VTR1000 noticeably rolled backwards. On investigation I found that there doesn't appear to be anything to stop the caliper mount from rotating backwards until the brake pipe reaches maximum stretch.

Sure, there's a lug welded onto the swing arm to stop the caliper from rotating forward & the caliper mount has a big slot in it that looks as if it should mate with something -- but there's nothing there on my bike...

Surely this can't be right?? (my Kawasaki GT750 has a huge brake torque arm to control the rear brake :-) -- is there something missing from the assembly?

BR
David.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by forncett
I recently found while sitting on an incline & applying the rear brake to hold the bike steady that my VTR1000 noticeably rolled backwards. On investigation I found that there doesn't appear to be anything to stop the caliper mount from rotating backwards until the brake pipe reaches maximum stretch.

Sure, there's a lug welded onto the swing arm to stop the caliper from rotating forward & the caliper mount has a big slot in it that looks as if it should mate with something -- but there's nothing there on my bike...

Surely this can't be right?? (my Kawasaki GT750 has a huge brake torque arm to control the rear brake :-) -- is there something missing from the assembly?

BR
David.

Um, really... Insert lug "A" into slot "B".. When the back tire is mounted, the caliper slot goes over that lug on the swing arm.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

THis keep the caliper from going forward or backward... get it?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
really...c'mon now forncett.....remember sex ed class?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
And this is "Forum Feedback" how???

Moved to Technical.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Squid

forncett is on a distinguished road
Yep dead obvious when I take the time to look at the thing properly in daylight :-) Forgive my surprise but this is how I recently took delivery of the new-to-me machine from the dealer, who is now *very* embarrassed...
Old 10-24-2007, 04:21 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

This same thing happened to me when I had a new tire put on once.. the rear brake line stretched when the caliper rolled around the hub, so I made the local shop replace the rear brake line.. got a steel braided line gratis.... May I suggest? I wouldnt trust the brake lines integrity now... those ends are just crimped on, and may have come loose.