Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Question about PAIR. . . Different way to Block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Squid

1down5up is on a distinguished road
Question about PAIR. . . Different way to Block?

Ok, so i had the airbox off yesterday and i figured i'd do something about the PAIR.

Instead of flipping the reed valves i thought i would just block the intake breather hose that goes from the airbox to the pair valve (used a bolt clamped inside the line). This is how i blocked the PAIR on my GSXR750 (k7) before i had it tuned etc etc and it worked well.

However i actually noticed that now that the hose blocked there is actually an increase in the popping and farting during deceleration. I have Staintune high mounts, not sure on the jetting as i only bought the bike a few weeks ago.

Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Results using methods other than described in the KB section are not guaranteed.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Squid

1down5up is on a distinguished road
Cancle That!!!!!!! I relaised i forgot to put back on the little rubber stopper on the vacume line from the front cylinder (most people have a bolt) after syncing my carbs. . . .

Bike doesnt backfire at all now.

In summary, i just plugged the airline going from the airbox to the pair valve ( the one under the airbox on the right hand side of the bike). Everything else is still hooked up, so the vacume line still opens the valve, but no air can pass from the airbox through the valve to either pair reed valve
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The PAIR valve is open at zero vacuum and at low to moderate vacuum, up to 21" Hg. It's designed to close off the air flow at high vacuum, over 21"Hg. So, even just sitting there with the bike not running, the PAIR valve is open to air flow.

Why not just do it right. That way you clean up the underside of the airbox, making access to the carbs much easier. You can get the large plugs (caps actually) for the 2 air line fittings on the bottom of the airbox at the auto parts store.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The PAIR valve is open at zero vacuum and at low to moderate vacuum, up to 21" Hg. It's designed to close off the air flow at high vacuum, over 21"Hg. So, even just sitting there with the bike not running, the PAIR valve is open to air flow.

Why not just do it right. That way you clean up the underside of the airbox, making access to the carbs much easier. You can get the large plugs (caps actually) for the 2 air line fittings on the bottom of the airbox at the auto parts store.
So is it only California bikes that have 2 airbox fittings to plug? My bike only has 1 open port after removing all PAIR plumbing.