Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Popping 30 Amp Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Popping 30 Amp Fuse

Well crap, i got headed to work this morning and got 2 miles from my house bammm. She dies and rolls to a stop. No power no nothing.

I push her off to the side of the road and call for my son to come and get me. While i am waiting on him to get there i check the stupid stuff, battery connections and switches. Nothing she is dead like no battery was in her.

I suspect the main fuse is culprit, but have no tools to pull the rear plastic to check it and beside i need to get to the house with the bike and get in the car as i am already late for work.

Well tonight i check the battery, 12.7 volts. Check the fuse and find its blown to hell, well i have seen old fuses just pop after years of service and being this fuse is the original 1998 fuse i just replace it and then power is restored.

I go ahead and perform the R/R and Stator checks and all are within spec (0.5 ohms) and there is no circuits to ground that aren't supposed to be.

So i fire her up and rev it up slowly with volt meter on the battery. She is charging 13 + volts. I rev it a little higher to around 5K and bammm the new 30 amp fuse blows again.

Well crapola, i am thinking the battery is quite old, so i go ahead and get a new battery and put a charge on it.

pop the new battery in and aother 30 amo fuse and she starts right up and revs to 8k after warm up with no issues.

I hope this is not a R/R failing and popping the fuse under a load. It is the original R/R that i installed a CPU heat sink fan onto many many years ogo.

I guess a good local ride on the new battery will tell me the answer Thursday or Friday.

P.S. All the connectors and checks from the service manual are dead on the specs they should be. I even went ahead and added some of that non-conductive electrical connector grease.

Last edited by Thumper; 06-04-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:24 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
A finned R/R off of ebay should be less than a battery (uses the same as CBR F2-F4 but not the F4i).

Here is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...spagenameZWDVW

look for finned ones, not the unfinned ones
Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 PM
SuperBike

Yea i know, just hoping mine is actually ok. As i said mine is a finned one. As a long time chickenhawk rider i headed the early years of other riders having R/R failures and used heat sink compund and a epoxyed huge computer CPU fined heat sink on to my R/R in 99.

It check ok, but i will see soon enough.

Thanks for the link
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Squid

jasons996 is on a distinguished road
sounds like u just had a cell in battery going bad on u
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jasons996
sounds like u just had a cell in battery going bad on u
I hope so!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Squid

Alpar is on a distinguished road
mine was blowing the main fuse over and over again. i tried everything. i almost even rewired the damn thing.... before i realized it was just the voltage regulator.

you can get regulators on ebay or from any local dealer... try that. it might work.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Superstock

Verne
Thumper if you need a regulator to try and see if that is the issue I have the R1 one that I got when I thought mine was going out. Just holding on to it till my current one fails. If you need to borrow just let me know. I even have it prewired for the the SH.

Verne