Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Blown fuse, regulator failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Squid

MP660 is on a distinguished road
Blown fuse, regulator failure?

Hello everybody,

I just bought a '98 996 SuperHawk about a month ago, and up until a few days ago it's ran perfectly. Last Saturday I was riding along and heard a loud pop (my guess it backfired), and instantly lost all electric power. The main fuse in the starter relay was blown, and after replacing it the bike regained all power and fired right up. After a few minutes at idle, the power shorted out again and the 30 amp fuse blew just like the previous one did. I checked the voltage on the wiring harness attached to the regulator and everything checked out, as well as the continuity.

Has anyone else had any similar issues? I can't tell if this is due to a short in the wiring between the battery and the regulator someplace, if the regulator is toast, or worse, if the alternator stator is having trouble. I'm assuming the main fuse is receiving too much power for it to blow within minutes or less, so I'm hoping the regulator needs replaced, and nothing more. Does anyone have any insight to such electrical problems?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The regulator is a known to go bad on our bikes.. A replacement shouldn't be too pricey, but be sure to get a finned one, or convert to a R1/GSXR unit.

Do not get this one as it is the bad kind: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-V...spagenameZWDVW
But this one should be ok: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...spagenameZWDVW
Old 06-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
+1, They are known very well for going out and replacing with an updated unit is certainly adventageous.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Squid

MP660 is on a distinguished road
hey thanks guys, I appreciate the eBay links. I just replaced the regulator today, popped in a new fuse and she hasn't shut down on me since! I'm glad I went with the regulator fix before I took it into Honda and paid for a diagnostic. They charge about $74 an hour for diagnostic inspection! No bueno. Thanks again people!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The other thing to look at doing is upgrading to manual CCT's (cam chain tensioners) since the stock auto ones do fail usually after 20k miles, but you never know.. And when they go it's BAD news for the engine.

The APE's usually run around $120 for a pair (you need two) and are the only ones I am aware of.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Squid

superhawk81 is on a distinguished road
regulator

i had the same problem with my bike i thought it was a short or something.... so i went and got it checked out it is the regulator and it didnet cost to much to get it replaced....